Over 18 (was 35, 50) in SA? Register for vaccination NOW!

biometrics

That's good news. The vocal minority (i.e. anti vaxxers) always seem like a lot of people but the truth is different as your article shows.

Here's a lady from Onrus that died because she believed misinformation being forwarded on Whatsapp:

Tribs

That's good news. The vocal minority (i.e. anti vaxxers) always seem like a lot of people but the truth is different as your article shows.

Here's a lady from Onrus that died because she believed misinformation being forwarded on Whatsapp:

That is really sad. But I have a friend who won't have the vaccine because she prays to god. I know quite a few people actually. So I will not meet with them even though they say it is safe. I will not be responsible for killing people I know.

biometrics

That is really sad. But I have a friend who won't have the vaccine because she prays to god. I know quite a few people actually. So I will not meet with them even though they say it is safe. I will not be responsible for killing people I know.
Hopefully we end up with vaccine passports to access restaurants and other venues like they are doing in places in Europe, Canada, NY City. Though I can't see it working here.

Tribs

Hopefully we end up with vaccine passports to access restaurants and other venues like they are doing in places in Europe, Canada, NY City. Though I can't see it working here.
I watched an ANC member saying that it is legal for companies to insist on the vaccine as long as people staying healthy is critical to their business. This is going to be an interesting debate.

Spizz

Arghhhh, makes me fucking furious.

Jings

At first I was dubious about the vaccines because of the speed they had to be formulated and tested. But when Delta and Lambda variants were released upon this earth I thought stuff that, better to take a risk with a vaccine. Ok, maybe there was a little conviction and encouragement from broken radio. :giggle:

Johnatan56

At first I was dubious about the vaccines because of the speed they had to be formulated and tested. But when Delta and Lambda variants were released upon this earth I thought stuff that, better to take a risk with a vaccine. Ok, maybe there was a little conviction and encouragement from broken radio. :giggle:
They weren't actually that fast, that's the issue, people keep comparing it to vaccines from the 50's, the way it's down now vs then is quite different, plus e.g. J&J's version is based on their Ebola one where the method of delivery (in regards to aednovirus, disabled virus) was already in trials/tests since 2014, was approved in June 2020.

The only thing that really changed was method of delivery in regards to mRNA (so Pfizer and Moderna) which already had decades of research and has had human trials since 2011, and the biggest issue is that people don't understand that there are differing levels of complexity for virus' and that there was already a vaccine for SARS-CoV-1 that could be used as a base.

If scared, get the J&J if you can, most similar to what's been done before and method of delivery did full trials etc. for ~6 years already, but the Pfizer one again is not really that new, it's been tested for a long while and e.g. mRNA is there for ~2 weeks before being destroyed by the body, so you'd have seen side effects by now considering that it's been 7 months since the start of the mass vaccinations.
1628773647586.png
That's US data, you can pick whichever country you like: https://ourworldindata.org/covid-vaccinations#which-vaccines-have-been-administered-in-each-country
Just ignore the Chinese data, so remove 1.8bn from total administered (~30%), as that's Sinovac.

Most of the delay for full approval always comes from the admin involved, as it's a specific handful of people that need to review tens of thousands of pages of data, that's the bit that was skipped (as in they had a larger team that reviewed all the prelim data etc. and as on-going), and that is usually 6 months to 1 year, Pfizer is set to get full approval some time next month.

J&J, Moderna, and Pfizer completed Phase 3 trials btw (so large clinical (human) trials), all of those were started and ended 2020's, so issues would have cropped up by now as vaccine issues 99% of the time are in the first 3 months.

Jings

They weren't actually that fast, that's the issue, people keep comparing it to vaccines from the 50's, the way it's down now vs then is quite different, plus e.g. J&J's version is based on their Ebola one where the method of delivery (in regards to aednovirus, disabled virus) was already in trials/tests since 2014, was approved in June 2020.

The only thing that really changed was method of delivery in regards to mRNA (so Pfizer and Moderna) which already had decades of research and has had human trials since 2011, and the biggest issue is that people don't understand that there are differing levels of complexity for virus' and that there was already a vaccine for SARS-CoV-1 that could be used as a base.

If scared, get the J&J if you can, most similar to what's been done before and method of delivery did full trials etc. for ~6 years already, but the Pfizer one again is not really that new, it's been tested for a long while and e.g. mRNA is there for ~2 weeks before being destroyed by the body, so you'd have seen side effects by now considering that it's been 7 months since the start of the mass vaccinations.
View attachment 27912
That's US data, you can pick whichever country you like: https://ourworldindata.org/covid-vaccinations#which-vaccines-have-been-administered-in-each-country
Just ignore the Chinese data, so remove 1.8bn from total administered (~30%), as that's Sinovac.

Most of the delay for full approval always comes from the admin involved, as it's a specific handful of people that need to review tens of thousands of pages of data, that's the bit that was skipped, and that is usually 6 months to 1 year, Pfizer is set to get full approval some time next month.

J&J, Moderna, and Pfizer completed Phase 3 trials btw (so large clinical (human) trials), all of those were started and ended 2020's, so issues would have cropped up by now as vaccine issues 99% of the time are in the first 3 months.

In medical terms it was really fast, such that WHO had to approve for emergency use so that countries could expedite their own regulatory approvals. And unprecedented event in our global history. Scientifically, SARS-Cov-2 did not exist prior to 2019.

Fact is people have died as a result of the vaccine, even though the risk is minimal holistically. I'm not going to diminish the sacrifice they have made for themselves and their family in their aim to be safe from detrimental effects of covid. If there were sufficient time to research and test, the rare effects of blood clots would possibly have been prevented.

Spizz

In medical terms it was really fast, such that WHO had to approve for emergency use so that countries could expedite their own regulatory approvals. And unprecedented event in our global history. Scientifically, SARS-Cov-2 did not exist prior to 2019.

Fact is people have died as a result of the vaccine, even though the risk is minimal holistically. I'm not going to diminish the sacrifice they have made for themselves and their family in their aim to be safe from detrimental effects of covid. If there were sufficient time to research and test, the rare effects of blood clots would possibly have been prevented.

That's not actually a fact though Jings. Some people have died some time after receiving the vaccine but there is no evidence to suggest that they may have died from something else anyway. We don't know if they died from the vaccine and to be fair, I'd imagine it's pretty unlikely given what the vaccine actually does. So having a quick glance at the South African figures, we have 28 deaths shortly after 5.3 million vaccinations so far according to SAHPRA.

mikewazar

If there were sufficient time to research and test, the rare effects of blood clots would possibly have been prevented.
Maybe, but it was a decision about net lives saved versus red tape route.

In medical terms it was really fast
Well, no. The medical stuff was years old already, the fast stuff was the red tape, which was skipped hence the perception.

Spizz

View attachment 27912

Most of the delay for full approval always comes from the admin involved, as it's a specific handful of people that need to review tens of thousands of pages of data, that's the bit that was skipped (as in they had a larger team that reviewed all the prelim data etc. and as on-going), and that is usually 6 months to 1 year, Pfizer is set to get full approval some time next month.

I'm eligible for a second shot next week but have been wondering a few things. Now I am definitely going to get a Pfizer so I can travel when the time comes, but what if you have had a Pfizer as first jab and opt for a J&J for a second? Any idea if this is useful and /or accepted as being a 'fully vaccinated' person?

Spizz

You can't here, and should not overseas even if you have access.

Fair enough. I tried searching just for my own curiosity but most of the chat is about J&J first then Pfizer as a booster which seems acceptable. I was just wondering about the other way around.

Jings

That's not actually a fact though Jings. Some people have died some time after receiving the vaccine but there is no evidence to suggest that they may have died from something else anyway. We don't know if they died from the vaccine and to be fair, I'd imagine it's pretty unlikely given what the vaccine actually does. So having a quick glance at the South African figures, we have 28 deaths from 5.3 million vaccinations so far according to SAHPRA.

Actually it is a fact. The vaccine has not been safe for the majority, but not for everyone. Some risks, like blood clotting has since been mitigated.

Spizz

Actually it is a fact. The vaccine has not been safe for the majority, but not for everyone. Some risks, like blood clotting has since been mitigated.

Deaths from the vaccines are not a fact. Adverse reactions of course are as with any medicines.

biometrics

You are forgetting the natural occurance of such events without vaccines.

biometrics

I'm eligible for a second shot next week but have been wondering a few things. Now I am definitely going to get a Pfizer so I can travel when the time comes, but what if you have had a Pfizer as first jab and opt for a J&J for a second? Any idea if this is useful and /or accepted as being a 'fully vaccinated' person?
You should complete the course. A third short as a booster can be any vaccine.

Jings

Maybe, but it was a decision about net lives saved versus red tape route.

Well, no. The medical stuff was years old already, the fast stuff was the red tape, which was skipped hence the perception.

Trials began in 2020 for Pfizer. How long do medical trials for vaccines normally take? From what I've researched it takes years to complete trials, an it's usually 3 to 4 phases compared to 2 for covid vaccines.