Over 18 (was 35, 50) in SA? Register for vaccination NOW!

mikewazar

Trials began in 2020 for Pfizer. How long do medical trials for vaccines normally take? From what I've researched it takes years to complete trials, an it's usually 3 to 4 phases compared to 2 for covid vaccines.

Jan 2018, have a read.

Development of prophylactic or therapeutic vaccines against infectious pathogens is the most efficient means to contain and prevent epidemics. However, conventional vaccine approaches have largely failed to produce effective vaccines against challenging viruses that cause chronic or repeated infections, such as HIV-1, herpes simplex virus and respiratory syncytial virus (RSV). Additionally, the slow pace of commercial vaccine development and approval is inadequate to respond to the rapid emergence of acute viral diseases, as illustrated by the 2014–2016 outbreaks of the Ebola and Zika viruses. Therefore, the development of more potent and versatile vaccine platforms is crucial.

Venomous

Had a chat with my mom earlier. (she's in UK)

She says they are now being told that the vaccine is only 60% effective, but that it is believed that people who were vaccinated are less likely to get Covid19 to max severity and then dying from it.

Jings

Jan 2018, have a read.

You don't get only one type of mRNA vaccine. There are several.

biometrics

Trials began in 2020 for Pfizer. How long do medical trials for vaccines normally take? From what I've researched it takes years to complete trials, an it's usually 3 to 4 phases compared to 2 for covid vaccines.
mRNA wasn't discovered last year.

Spizz

She says they are now being told that the vaccine is only 60% effective, but that it is believed that people who were vaccinated are less likely to get Covid19 to max severity and then dying from it.

Yep, they've almost opened everything up and are back to normal. They've geared up to live with the virus.

biometrics

You need to look at asymptomatic vs being sick at home vs hospitalisation vs death. They are different %.

Jings

No idea what you mean.

Before making a decision, one would research the benefits and also if there are any risks. Isn't is better to be informed of the risks to make an educated decision and mitigate potential adverse effects?

biometrics

Before making a decision, one would research the benefits and also if there are any risks. Isn't is better to be informed of the risks to make an educated decision and mitigate potential adverse effects?
In this case, no.

Johnatan56

I'm eligible for a second shot next week but have been wondering a few things. Now I am definitely going to get a Pfizer so I can travel when the time comes, but what if you have had a Pfizer as first jab and opt for a J&J for a second? Any idea if this is useful and /or accepted as being a 'fully vaccinated' person?
Both are fine, they're on the accepted list, feel free to just keep going Pfizer two shots, it's pretty standard so you can then just follow what the US/EU guidelines are.

Venomous

I'm eligible for a second shot next week but have been wondering a few things. Now I am definitely going to get a Pfizer so I can travel when the time comes, but what if you have had a Pfizer as first jab and opt for a J&J for a second? Any idea if this is useful and /or accepted as being a 'fully vaccinated' person?
There have been a few people (not sure if medical experts) that say there are benefits in having a mix of both those jabs...

Not sure how true/correct

mikewazar

Get both Pfizer shots is the main idea if you're thinking of mixing two or more vaccines (not recommended and you cannot do it here anyway). Don't try one Pfizer and one J&J because that single Pfizer ain't shit.

Pfizer says it is developing a Covid booster shot to target the highly transmissible delta variant

And the upcoming booster will be next year's new vaccine update, not the v1 shots they're dishing out now.