The Chat Room

Johnatan56

I'm likely to settle for a lesser CPU so that I can get a full-sized motherboard. I don't like working with micro-ATX boards.
Don't worry about the form factor in this case as even with mATX it's easy enough to get to everything, it's just dual RAM slots usually and a single slot for graphics card.

CPU stock cooler on anything lower than a 5600X is fine, and even on a 5600X it's fine for a majority.

biometrics

Don't worry about the form factor in this case as even with mATX it's easy enough to get to everything, it's just dual RAM slots usually and a single slot for graphics card.

CPU stock cooler on anything lower than a 5600X is fine, and even on a 5600X it's fine for a majority.
I have four RAM slots on mine.

Nicholas

I have had a micro-ATX board in a previous computer. Components being closer together posed a problem for me when plugging in hardware and cables. I don't have particularly deft fingers. :oops:

Nicholas

Do you think that those who review these chips are over-zealous when it comes to CPU coolers, and are assuming that the buyer will want to overclock their processor?

@biometrics: Did you have to buy a new Windows license when you upgraded your computer?

Last edited:

biometrics

Do you think that those who review these chips are over-zealous when it comes to CPU coolers, and are assuming that the buyer will want to overclock their processor?

@biometrics: Did you have to buy a new Windows license when you upgraded your computer?
Had Windows 10 on there and amazingly it booted fine (was an i7 before). But it deactivated the Win 10 license and wouldn't reactivate. Bought a Win 10 Pro key from keysoff.com for $7. After activation upgraded to 11 for free.

Nicholas

Had Windows 10 on there and amazingly it booted fine (was an i7 before). But it deactivated the Win 10 license and wouldn't reactivate. Bought a Win 10 Pro key from keysoff.com for $7. After activation upgraded to 11 for free.
Super! Thank you for the tip.

Johnatan56

No, it's just that it heavily depends on the user, most of the people that comment on it are generally people that want to do stuff like keep CPU temps under 80C so longer boost or lower noise, but anything under 100C on a CPU is fine, it's rated to handle that without issue.

Stock coolers are "good enough" for most use-cases, that's why they're stock, if you have a bad case, or want to overclock, you get a better fan.

In my case, I got a better fan on an i7 4770 years ago because the case wasn't great, that and a case fan sorted out thermal issues, and then just got adapter mounting brackets for moving that to new systems.

The other case that had fine airflow with a 5600X, just kept using stock as wasn't noticing any heat or performance issues (around 75C sustained).