The Chat Room

satanboy

1653763946172.png
Charles Voyde Harrelson (July 23, 1938 – March 15, 2007)] was an American hitman and organized crime figure who was convicted of assassinating federal judge John H. Wood Jr., the first federal judge to be assassinated in the 20th century. Charles Harrelson was the father of actors Brett and Woody Harrelson

Jings

View attachment 33018
Charles Voyde Harrelson (July 23, 1938 – March 15, 2007)] was an American hitman and organized crime figure who was convicted of assassinating federal judge John H. Wood Jr., the first federal judge to be assassinated in the 20th century. Charles Harrelson was the father of actors Brett and Woody Harrelson
Do you see the resemblance?

Nicholas

Having installed the new PSU I bought to replace the one that went bang, I booted Ultimate Boot CD and started testing my computer's CPU and RAM. CPU is okay, but Memtest 86+ returned several errors. This is DDR3 RAM, so I am not convinced that looking for second-hand memory [Carbonite] is worthwhile. [YMMV].

I was thinking that I would allow myself to spend up to R8 000 on 16Gb of DDR4 RAM and whatever CPU and motherboard I can buy with the difference.

I'll be testing my SSD and mechanical disk drive next week. [Well, that I'm telling myself. :p ]

biometrics

Having installed the new PSU I bought to replace the one that went bang, I booted Ultimate Boot CD and started testing my computer's CPU and RAM. CPU is okay, but Memtest 86+ returned several errors. This is DDR3 RAM, so I am not convinced that looking for second-hand memory [Carbonite] is worthwhile. [YMMV].

I was thinking that I would allow myself to spend up to R8 000 on 16Gb of DDR4 RAM and whatever CPU and motherboard I can buy with the difference.

I'll be testing my SSD and mechanical disk drive next week. [Well, that I'm telling myself. :p ]
I had 2x8GB DDR3 in my i5 3470 media PC. It works perfectly. I had some other RAM from an older PC so I sold the 2x8GB on Carbonite but it was returned as faulty. I ran Memtest and it failed. But the RAM works perfectly in Windows. So I don't know what to make of it.

biometrics

This was me upgrading my gaming PC in Jan so prices will have changed since, but your budget seems good. I also sold the old parts on Carbonite easily at reasonable prices, so total cost was quite a bit less.

1653850519569.png

Johnatan56

I had 2x8GB DDR3 in my i5 3470 media PC. It works perfectly. I had some other RAM from an older PC so I sold the 2x8GB on Carbonite but it was returned as faulty. I ran Memtest and it failed. But the RAM works perfectly in Windows. So I don't know what to make of it.
Basically errors will keep happening, as long as it's nothing critical, it's fine, but randomly will blue screen and chance of corrupting the data you open once it saves again.

biometrics

Basically errors will keep happening, as long as it's nothing critical, it's fine, but randomly will blue screen and chance of corrupting the data you open once it saves again.
Currently I have the old RAM in there which is fine. I guess one of the 2x8GB sticks are faulty. I still need to run Memtest on them individually to find out which one and toss it. But yeah I wouldn't take a chance with a work PC, this is just for media.

Nicholas

This was me upgrading my gaming PC in Jan so prices will have changed since, but your budget seems good. I also sold the old parts on Carbonite easily at reasonable prices, so total cost was quite a bit less.

View attachment 33029
I'm likely to settle for a lesser CPU so that I can get a full-sized motherboard. I don't like working with micro-ATX boards.

Nicholas

View attachment 33029
I was surprised to see that your CPU has become cheaper since then. Do you need to use a 3rd--party cooler with it?

It seems that Ryzen 5 is cheaper than Core i5.

Nicholas

Hmmm...trivial as it may be, I'd rather not have something go wrong when I am saving my game progress or something I am playing around with in graphics software.

What should i use to test my graphics card [I have been using integrated graphics so far] and SSD?

Thank you in anticipation.