Home Brewing

biometrics

@LD50 this is @Papa Smurf ’s instructions drunkenly typed on 19 May:

Put your fermenter in the bath and fill it up with water and half a cup clear Jik, in other words plain boring Jik, not the scented stuff, inside the container is your wooden spoon and airlock etc, place the lid on loosely and check that there is enough water that the bucket is full 100% so that even lid underneath is wet, leave that for 30 minutes and then drain water and you can give a quick 3 second rinse to get jik off everything (i never even bother), place all the components in a clean spot.

i then start by filling the kitchen sink with enough hot water to fill the Coopers tin, place it horizontally. This hot water will loosen the Coopers inside, it is very thick when cold.

Then boil 2 litres water in the kettle, while that is boiling i had the 1kg sugar to empty bucket, once the kettle is boiled i add that water to the bucket and start stirring for about 1 minute until sugar is dissolved

Coopers tin will be very hot so take it out the water and open it at the bottom of the tin and then using an oven mitt add the Coopers extract from the tin, it is very gooey so just be patient and keep turning the tin in your hand around emptying it kinda like a big honey bottle, dont worry if you dont get it all out.

Now use that same tin and fill it up with tap water and put in the bucket, do this about 5 times, each time you use the tin more Coopers malt will come out the tin

Put tin down and give the bucket a good stir for about a minute so that everything is dissolving nicely.

Take the Coopers tin and fill up water and keep adding to the bucket, each time you do this more of the extract comes out, keep going until you hit the 23 to 24-litre mark on the bucket, i often just go to 25l. In winter i will add water until i hit the 20 litre mark and then i look at temperature and adjust more water of either hot or cold.

give the bucket another 10-second stir

Check the temperature on the analogue thermometer that is stuck to the fermenter, you want it in the 20s, not lower and not higher, i try to aim for around midpoint of 25.

now you add the yeast, i like to scrape some foam to one side and then add the yeast to some clean "water" and thats about it

Place the lid on and put the airlock in place filled up about half full with water
DO NOT OPEN FERMENTER AGAIN until fermentation is finished, 7 days is normal and some people go for 10 days or longer

Papa Smurf

Diet = drinking Saturdays only, so good for the rest of the year!
I need to do that, weighed myself at work other day
82kg
:oops:
I'm not happy with that number
Im 49 and hike often but my beer belly is increasing

But before I slow down on daily beers I am going to look at my daily food intakes, namely the stuff that has loads of sugar.

GreGorGy

82kg

But before I slow down on daily beers I am going to look at my daily food intakes, namely the stuff that has loads of sugar.

I was sitting at 96 before the Great 2021 Bloody Shit Fest. Now I am 93 so that means I can drink the whole weekend.

biometrics

82kg

I'm three weeks into my program. Down 6.7kg, 20.5kg to go. So done around May.

GreGorGy

My current status: case of Guinness, going into some longer term storage. It will be for special occasions. 20L bitter and 10L lager ready for the kegs. I am out of nitro but the order has been place and that will be fulfilled by Wednesday so in good time for kegging the bitter and enjoying the weekend. A weekend that will be spent making another 20L batch so I can keep cycling stocks.

Party at my place: 3 people max.

GreGorGy

FFS! My one keg tipped over and the beer went up the gas line and shot out of the adjusting screw on my Nitro regulator last night. I hope I haven't fucked it up.

Today, I will be making 40L of bitter ale and a mangrove jacks cider. Lots of work ahead. I need to gather my thoughts and warm up a little first.

biometrics

FFS! My one keg tipped over and the beer went up the gas line and shot out of the adjusting screw on my Nitro regulator last night. I hope I haven't fucked it up.

Today, I will be making 40L of bitter ale and a mangrove jacks cider. Lots of work ahead. I need to gather my thoughts and warm up a little first.
How big is that fermenter or do you use two?

bigAl-sa

I put a pseudo-stout to bed yesterday. First brew of the year. Got stock for another 2 brews, but fortunately, brewcraft has a reasonable amount of stock.

(Pseudo-stout becase I stuffed up the recipe on a red ale :()