Home Brewing

Papa Smurf

I finally bottled my 3 fermenters yesterday, it was 68 - 69 litres in total in 5 x 12 one litre quarts and a little more than a case of 24 x 330 ml bottles
Massive job
I draw the line there, I won't add a 4th fermenter

Just whacked off another 3 Coopers tins now this morning, that's the easy part

Now have 17 cases aging, I gave 1 away last weekend to a friend

Getting stocked up for the 3rd incoming wave this winter

Papa Smurf

i gave another case away to a guy that has moved out of our complex, he is returning to Mossel Bay. I told him to not touch the beer until easter weekend, it will be really nice then. He cannot wait

That takes me down to 15 cases now in prep for the 3rd wave. This coming Sunday I am bottling 8 cases of 750ml quarts and starting another 3 batches.

biometrics

i gave another case away to a guy that has moved out of our complex, he is returning to Mossel Bay. I told him to not touch the beer until easter weekend, it will be really nice then. He cannot wait

That takes me down to 15 cases now in prep for the 3rd wave. This coming Sunday I am bottling 8 cases of 750ml quarts and starting another 3 batches.
Sjoe, thirsty!

In other news, my 10L fermenter has been bubbling away within hours of sealing it.

biometrics

Took delivery of 25kg of grain today - that should tide me over. For me, it is no longer about avoiding lockdown stupidity. Now it is the principle of the damn thing. No booze tax.
I'm still not set up for grain, need to do some minor construction, so beer cans are fine for me for now. But I'm on a several month diet so a Coopers can is too much atm. Beerlab has these 8.5L Mr Beer cans that don't need additional sugar. Really quick to set up a 10L fermenter.

E.g.

Is R195 total cost for 8.5L so about R11.50 a pint. Not grain prices but still super cheap compared to retail craft beer. 17 Pints should be enough for 3 weeks if I stick to my cheat days.

Edit: excludes delivery but can be collected in Cape Town

GreGorGy

I'm still not set up for grain, need to do some minor construction, so beer cans are fine for me for now. But I'm on a several month diet so a Coopers can is too much atm. Beerlab has these 8.5L Mr Beer cans that don't need additional sugar. Really quick to set up a 10L fermenter.

E.g.

Is R195 total cost for 8.5L so about R11.50 a pint. Not grain prices but still super cheap compared to retail craft beer. 17 Pints should be enough for 3 weeks if I stick to my cheat days.

Edit: excludes delivery but can be collected in Cape Town

Mmm - I am intrigued. If I order anything again soon from them, I will throw in one or two of these.

scudsucker

I found, but lost, a link to a local supplier of standard crown caps. I specifically want green ones. Normally you buy them in bags of 100; this link was like R200 for 1000. Actually that cost is nice but the colour is more important. Like these which are never in stock.

It was either this thread or a similar one on MyBB. Any ideas?

biometrics

GreGorGy

whatever that is.

The link has a PDF:

General features
Oxygen Scavenging Crowns
Intermediate skirt pry-off Oxygen Scavenging Crowns have a particular PVC-FREE liner that offer an effective means of both controlling oxygen ingress and removing some of the headspace oxygen present in the bottle immediately after filling.
Oxygen Scavenger, or Absorber, is a food contact approved material
dispersed throughout the liner compound which, once activated by
moisture from the beer or beverage, react with molecular oxygen to produce stable end-products.

GreGorGy

I made another 10L mystery pilsner this weekend. It is the last of the mystery grain. It is fermenting in a 10L bucket without a tap. Used the faithful old bag method again this time around.

That and the 20L bitter fermenting in another room put me at 30L ahead. I need to be at least double that. So hopefully this weekend I can do another 20L (this time a stout) and be in a good place by the time winter arrives. I want to have surplus production of 30 to 40L per month. for the next 3 months.It will be hard work. Ideally, 60L in kegs, 60L in reserve.

scudsucker

I'm mostly making stout. Partial mash, I'm not ready for the big time, every time it is a huge improvement.

I'm now taking the leftover grain from brewing and baking some pretty amazing dark sourdough bread, often using unbottled stout for the liquid. Using about 1 cup of spent grain to 4 cups flour.

Occasionally I supplement the soughdough with some of the settled ale yeast left over from the brew but flavours are better with plain sourdough

bigAl-sa

I'm mostly making stout. Partial mash, I'm not ready for the big time, every time it is a huge improvement.

I'm now taking the leftover grain from brewing and baking some pretty amazing dark sourdough bread, often using unbottled stout for the liquid. Using about 1 cup of spent grain to 4 cups flour.

Occasionally I supplement the soughdough with some of the settled ale yeast left over from the brew but flavours are better with plain sourdough
I have a recipe for spent grain cookies. It's so lekker, that the missus has taken to freezing a good portion of the spent grain so she always has stock.

bigAl-sa

Please share?
A variation on this:

Use less sugar;
extra flour instead of spent grain flour;
½ cup sunflower seeds instead of pecan nuts.