The weight loss/gain thread

biometrics

This isn't going to be a formal thread with weekly check-ins, spreadsheets and graphs. If you want to report your progress weekly then by all means post it here and we'll cheer you along. I'm thinking this is more of an informal anecdotal thread.

biometrics

I've been trending 2kg down from before the lock-down. Probably because I don't go to the pub for two pints after work anymore and I don't go for lunch twice on weekends anymore. Also the brews I've been making tend to convert all the sugar into alcohol and I rather like the tart taste. And I might add every PnP order has stuff missing that are out of stock, so I'm not getting all the snacks I ordered.

Tribs

Ok I need to sign up. Avoid the others because of too many people.
I am currently overweight and inactive. This needs to change.
I have lost quite a bit since we were locked up (makes no sense as I sit more than ever now). I can only assume it is because I am busy all the time and lack of alcohol. I am also chronically lazy so don't walk the 7 steps to the kitchen.

emam

I've put on 7kgs in lockdown

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

Y2K

🥰 Don't stress over that. Don't waste your money on weight loss tablets or gym memberships. Those meal replacement shakes and porridges don't do anything except mislead you. It's simple science, your body mass index and your total caloric intake if you exceed that then the remaining gets stored as fat. Atleast that's how I understand it.

So going forward here's what I recommend. Calculate your BMI and check what your caloric intake should be.

Cut down on refined sugar and non of that scaling down shit, you need to quit cold turkey.

If you can quit coffee replace it with tea.

No more fizzy drinks, energy drinks replace it with water.

Kiddies cereals are usually packed with sugar.

Milk adds weight to the belly area.

You can drink fruit juice in moderation.

No takeaways. Yes we all love them but if you want to get control of your weight you need to be serious about this.

You need to increase your water intake as this assists with weight loss. But don't drink so much that it makes you sick, it is normal for your kidneys to feel a little "worn" or exercised.

I'm going to use myself as an example.

Wake-up: 2 large glasses of ice water, you can drink tap water but I find that ice water provides that wake up kick as I don't drink coffee.

Shower, brush my teeth then a cup of tea with no milk or sugar.

I find exercise in the morning provides much needed energy and motivation that we tend to lack and makes us feel like we can't do anything.

After this I'm usually hungry as fuck.

Breakfast: Eggs, bacon if possible and 2 slices of toast, if I have avocado then I put that on the toast and eat my eggs on the side. Along with another cup of tea or water.

Snack in between will be yoghurt and muesli don't use too much yoghurt as this will negate your losses.
For muesli I recommend morning mills, Checkers sells this brand and it's delicious. Other than that a fruit here and there isn't bad just stay away from sweets and processed crap.

Fats are not as bad as people 🥰 there's the good type and the bad type.
Avocado, cheese, eggs, nuts, bacon and dark chocolate is great but too much of anything is bad.

Lunch, I usually eat around 1pm or 3pm depending on my mood. This is where most people last 1 maybe 2 weeks at the most. Preparation is the key here!
If you're able to prep your meals then you'll succeed, I am addicted to hot veg and could probably live off that and assorted breads ie garlic.

Supper: Eat the same meal as your family unless it's takeaways and replace fried chips with a baked potatoes. Chicken and fish is good but take note of any red meat you consume.

Let me know if you have any issues I'd be more than happy to help.

emam

Don't stress over that. Don't waste your money on weight loss tablets or gym memberships. Those meal replacement shakes and porridges don't do anything except mislead you. It's simple science, your body mass index and your total caloric intake if you exceed that then the remaining gets stored as fat. Atleast that's how I understand it.

So going forward here's what I recommend. Calculate your BMI and check what your caloric intake should be.

Cut down on refined sugar and non of that scaling down shit, you need to quit cold turkey.

No takeaways. Yes we all love them but if you want to get control of your weight you need to be serious about this.

You need to increase your water intake as this assists with weight loss. But don't drink so much that it makes you sick, it is normal for your kidneys to feel a little "worn" or exercised.

Wake-up: 2 large glasses of ice water, you can drink tap water but I find that ice water provides that wake up kick as I don't drink coffee.

I find exercise in the morning provides much needed energy and motivation that we tend to lack and makes us feel like we can't do anything.

Breakfast: Eggs, bacon if possible and 2 slices of toast, if I have avocado then I put that on the toast and eat my eggs on the side. Along with another cup of tea or water.

Snack in between will be yoghurt and muesli don't use too much yoghurt as this will negate your losses.
For muesli I recommend morning mills, Checkers sells this brand and it's delicious. Other than that a fruit here and there isn't bad just stay away from sweets and processed crap.

Fats are not as bad as people there's the good type and the bad type.
Avocado, cheese, eggs, nuts, bacon and dark chocolate is great but too much of anything is bad.

Lunch, I usually eat around 1pm or 3pm depending on my mood. This is where most people last 1 maybe 2 weeks at the most. Preparation is the key here!
If you're able to prep your meals then you'll succeed, I am addicted to hot veg and could probably live off that and assorted breads ie garlic.

Supper: Eat the same meal as your family unless it's takeaways and replace fried chips with a baked potatoes. Chicken and fish is good but take note of any red meat you consume.

Wow!
Thanks for that info

I was diagnosed with cancer end 2012. Through a year of treatment, I lost 20 odd kgs, which I maintained.
At the beginning of last year, I went through a traumatic event.... I really didn't think at the time that it would affect me the way it did, but over the next few months the weight just melted off me.

When my oncologist saw me for my check up in August she immediately sent me for a scan, which came back fine, so we put the weight loss down to stress.

In total, from beginning last year until March this year, I dropped another 20 odd kgs. I was looking quite skelatal at 63kgs and 1.78cm, so these 7kgs are actually good but, shit, I can feel the difference.

I was talking to a friend on the phone the other day, who I haven't seen since lock down, and was telling him, and his words to me were.... "oh, so now you're looking normal again?"

I'm going to find before cancer photos and recent photos and post them for you.

emam

Don't stress over that. Don't waste your money on weight loss tablets or gym memberships. Those meal replacement shakes and porridges don't do anything except mislead you. It's simple science, your body mass index and your total caloric intake if you exceed that then the remaining gets stored as fat. Atleast that's how I understand it.

Fats are not as bad as people there's the good type and the bad type.

Here we go
9df5bf02c781c0f840e344d64f6f2302.jpg
06518041993d02aad9a5d636d64a5ed1.jpg

Y2K

Ok I need to sign up. Avoid the others because of too many people.
I am currently overweight and inactive. This needs to change.
I have lost quite a bit since we were locked up (makes no sense as I sit more than ever now). I can only assume it is because I am busy all the time and lack of alcohol. I am also chronically lazy so don't walk the 7 steps to the kitchen.
😈 I could help you out🙄

BloodrayneZA

Haha ditto. When I was working, it was an high paced job and on my feet most of the day - I work in the hospitality industry at a pub/restaurant in the kitchen as a cook and cleaner. I also cover shifts of those who can’t make it due to illness.

if I recall last June, I worked a total of 3 shifts in one day - started at 7:30am and finished at 9pm.

now with the lockdown, I’m inactive so I’m not burning off what I eat. Plus my housemates making me eat a proper meal so the upside is my nails and hair are growing faster and better.

BloodrayneZA

🥰 Don't stress over that. Don't waste your money on weight loss tablets or gym memberships. Those meal replacement shakes and porridges don't do anything except mislead you. It's simple science, your body mass index and your total caloric intake if you exceed that then the remaining gets stored as fat. Atleast that's how I understand it.

Fats are not as bad as people 🥰 there's the good type and the bad type.

My biggest enemy is carbs and starchy food. I avoid that if I can - I lost 23kg in a year and now with the bloody lockup, I’ve picked up quite a bit.

• Love
Reactions: Y2K

biometrics

I've been trending 2kg down from before the lock-down. Probably because I don't go to the pub for two pints after work anymore and I don't go for lunch twice on weekends anymore. Also the brews I've been making tend to convert all the sugar into alcohol and I rather like the tart taste. And I might add every PnP order has stuff missing that are out of stock, so I'm not getting all the snacks I ordered.
Up 3 from this^ post. Meh.

biometrics

WeekWeightLoss/Gain

First week is mostly water loss. As a daily drinker I have water retention. Should settle to 1.5kg a week now. I'll be happy with 5kg a month.

biometrics

WeekWeightLoss/Gain

Meh, was 106.7 Saturday morning before my cheat day commenced. But can't only diet, need to live a little too.

Spizz

Monday morning, new year, new determaination.

I've picked up a couple of Christmas kg's to add on top of the lockdown kg's I've picked up, and this morning weigh in at 99.2kg.