The weight loss/gain thread

Y2K

WeekWeightLoss/Gain
Total9.9

A good week but credit to week 4 that only reflected the Tuesday. I am now overweight and not obese as per the BMI.

@Spizz, I'm right behind you buddy, keep on having those "big weekends" and I'll be overtaking you shortly. That will be a tad embarrassing...
BMI is not an accurate way to measure ones weight, you could actually be obese with a really high body fat percentage which puts you in the correct range but you could also be really heavy because of muscle mass, I would recommend you go by body fat percentage. In December my body fat percentage was about 48%, fast forward to today and I'm down to 40%. I still weigh about 108kg but I've put on about 5% muscle mass.

Y2K

What you also have to keep in mind is that everything is okay in moderation. To completely cut out carbs entirely and be on a rabbit based diet may not be the best thing depending on your genetic makeup.

biometrics

BMI is not an accurate way to measure ones weight, you could actually be obese with a really high body fat percentage which puts you in the correct range but you could also be really heavy because of muscle mass, I would recommend you go by body fat percentage. In December my body fat percentage was about 48%, fast forward to today and I'm down to 40%. I still weigh about 108kg but I've put on about 5% muscle mass.
I don't care about the BMI, but doctors still use it.

In any case, I like knowing I'm not obese anymore.

If I was still obese, as per the BMI, it would count as a comorbidity. That plus my hypertension and asthma may have gotten me into phase two of the vaccine roll-out.

biometrics

What you also have to keep in mind is that everything is okay in moderation. To completely cut out carbs entirely and be on a rabbit based diet may not be the best thing depending on your genetic makeup.
I don't do the carb things at all. I have no problems with carbs. I strictly follow a kJ restricted diet.

At rest I use 8,000 kJ per day (https://www.calculator.net/bmr-calculator.html multiple by 4.2 to get kJ). A kg of weight loss equals 37,000 kJ. I target an intake of 3,000 kJ per day for a deficit of 5,000 kJ per day. Giving me 35,000 kJ a week, or 1 kg per week or 4 kg per month. Since I do some exercise and have a cheat day I've been averaging 1.5 kg per week (need to exclude the first week as that is mostly water).

Reactions: Y2K

satanboy

I pick up weight when depressed. The work environment has not been great the past 12 months, in fact it has been hell (a new boss during lockdown etc). Enough with the excuses...

I've started my exercise program again (it worked well in 2019).
  • Walk/Run 5 days a week
  • No alcohol Mon-Thu
We haven't had take-aways (except for Indian food) in over 4 years (if memory serves).
We don't use sugar (except when making cider/wine).
We don't have fizzy drinks in the house. I drink water or green tea (no milk or sugar).
We don't eat cereals.
I need to reduce my portion sizes.

Spizz

I pick up weight when depressed. The work environment has not been great the past 12 months, in fact it has been hell (a new boss during lockdown etc). Enough with the excuses...

I've started my exercise program again (it worked well in 2019).
  • Walk/Run 5 days a week
  • No alcohol Mon-Thu
We haven't had take-aways (except for Indian food) in over 4 years (if memory serves).
We don't use sugar (except when making cider/wine).
We don't have fizzy drinks in the house. I drink water or green tea (no milk or sugar).
We don't eat cereals.
I need to reduce my portion sizes.

I started walking a 3km route at 7am a couple of weeks ago that takes about 30 minutes. It's a bit up and down with a huge hill in the middle so I'm sweating and knackered by the time I get home.

Anyway, point is as a motivation to keep it going and not be lazy and make excuses, I thought I'd listen to a book while walking. So I picked The Stand by Steven King which I'd read before but always fancied a listen to. It's nearly a 48 hour listen, compared to the usual 6 or 7 hour for a novel and I'm over 15 hours into it with 32 to go. And now I'm even volunteering to take the dog out for more walks recently so I can listen for a bit.

biometrics

I recently discovered espresso. Had an espresso pod machine in storage which is one of the many things I bought with eBucks to furnish a flat in town. Since I am not planning on doing that anytime soon I've been using much of it in my man cave and exercise setup.

Since I drink decaf I can drink it day and night. It's a great way to avoid hunger and snacking.

At the current pace I should reach my goal in April.

Spizz

I recently discovered espresso. Had an espresso pod machine in storage which is one of the many things I bought with eBucks to furnish a flat in town. Since I am not planning on doing that anytime soon I've been using much of it in my man cave and exercise setup.

Since I drink decaf I can drink it day and night. It's a great way to avoid hunger and snacking.

At the current pace I should reach my goal in April.

Good stuff. My arse has been well and truly kicked due to the last weigh in on Monday and this morning I was 95.8. So -1.2 in a couple of days but of course it's not really that, it's just decent eating and shedding the bloat from Sundays Mexican :ROFLMAO:

biometrics

Good stuff. My arse has been well and truly kicked due to the last weigh in on Monday and this morning I was 95.8. So -1.2 in a couple of days but of course it's not really that, it's just decent eating and shedding the bloat from Sundays Mexican :ROFLMAO:
101.3 today, started the week at 102.3. I might break through to 99.9 by Monday if I behave Saturday, erm (that would be my first major milestone).

biometrics

We don't use sugar
I don't even point that out anymore as I gave up on that ten years ago. But yeah, no sugar at all. I'll drink Pepsi Light (diet Coke has an after taste that makes me nauseous for a minute), so yes to fizzy a drink but no sugar.

Spizz

101.3 today, started the week at 102.3. I might break through to 99.9 by Monday if I behave Saturday, erm (that would be my first major milestone).

Tell me about it. But that's a lot to drop in a week at this stage of your diet. Normally for me the first week or two sees losses like that then it stabilises to a kg or a bit less every week.

Spizz

I don't even point that out anymore as I gave up on that ten years ago. But yeah, no sugar at all. I'll drink Pepsi Light (diet Coke has an after taste that makes me nauseous for a minute), so yes to fizzy a drink but no sugar.

One non negotiable for me is tea with one sugar and a splash of milk. 5 or 6 cups a day. I'd skip a meal before giving that up.

biometrics

Tell me about it. But that's a lot to drop in a week at this stage of your diet. Normally for me the first week or two sees losses like that then it stabilises to a kg or a bit less every week.
Yeah, unlikely. But the week after for sure.

biometrics

If I have a fizzy drink a month it's quite a lot.
Don't normally drink it, it's part of the diet plan. Helps like the espresso. Keep something going with your month and stomach and there's less need to snack.

Spizz

/watches bio overtake mr non negotiable

Have you tried sugar substitutes like Stevia or Xylitol?

And milk substitute like almond and macadamia. No dice. It doesn't affect my weight loss, I compensate for it.

Tea with one sugar and milk is one thing I'll never ever give up. I'd stop booze before it.

satanboy

I started walking a 3km route at 7am a couple of weeks ago that takes about 30 minutes. It's a bit up and down with a huge hill in the middle so I'm sweating and knackered by the time I get home.

Anyway, point is as a motivation to keep it going and not be lazy and make excuses, I thought I'd listen to a book while walking. So I picked The Stand by Steven King which I'd read before but always fancied a listen to. It's nearly a 48 hour listen, compared to the usual 6 or 7 hour for a novel and I'm over 15 hours into it with 32 to go. And now I'm even volunteering to take the dog out for more walks recently so I can listen for a bit.
I forgot to add that I listen to audiobooks when walking/running.