Home Brewing

biometrics

First pint in six weeks thanks to my diet.

Keg tap was locked, couldn't budge it so disassembled the handle and poured hot water in there to dislodge it.

IMG_20210130_163105.jpg

Papa Smurf

Bottled 5 x 750ml quart cases of Coopers Lager this morning.
Started 3 x Coopers Lagers to bottle 5 and a half 1 litre cases in 10 days time.
This is thirsty work, 4 hours in total.

WhatsApp Image 2021-01-31 at 12.27.30.jpeg

bigAl-sa

Consider getting kegs, much less effort.
Not sure. It's easier to get a bottle cooled than a keg. You also don't have the hassle of gunked up taps (see above). You also don't have to worry about piping and running out of gas.

GreGorGy

You also don't have to worry about piping and running out of gas.
This is a real thing. But, you can mitigate. I have a sodastream for which I have two bottles, one in and one backup. It can also substitute my CO2 tap. The nitro tap, however, cannot be backed up. And I did run out two weeks ago. I called mygas in the morning, they sent me an invoice, I paid. An hour later the replacement arrived so it wasn't all bad - just a no nitro Sunday.

That said, kegs are the way to go. I have about 40 grolsch bottles that I haven't touched in months. The only time bottles come in handy is when I have to go somewhere and take beer with. But I also have a portable g-couple tap that takes small CO2 chargers. So I'm good.

Two weeks ago I did a 30L bitter with recycled yeast. The result was very fruity and quite cloudy. Disappointing to say the least. So today I reverted to trusted methods. First up, I did a Morgans Dockside Stout. While it is a can, at least it has a minimum experience that isn't altogether disappointing coupled with an almost-guaranteed result. It should be on the stout tap by Saturday but if needs be, it can wait. Right now, I have 20L of bitter mashing. It is going to get the fresh Kveik in my fridge so it will definitely be in the keg by Friday. Because without that, I am out of beer. I have 12 Guinness tins left. This will be a no beer Monday to Thursday.

Papa Smurf

I like the idea of kegs but they're bulky and I live in a small flat.
Something like this does appeal to me though

Kegs are R250 for an empty plastic bottle

And with the handle dispenser its R2164

Watcha think of this setup? I can squeeze a bottle like this into my fridge

What else is needed to drive the thing? I know buggar all about kegs

GreGorGy

Also, there is Type A and Type G
Why? Who uses what?
Couple of things:

Those plastic one-way kegs I know nothing about. What do they mean one way? Perhaps it is best to ask them.

The other thing: various keg suppliers around the world use various standards. The Type G is used by SAB so two of mine are type G. The G coupler is better for nitro as the the pressure can bust through a corny. And since it is used by SAB, I could go to my bottle store and buy an SAB keg like black label and dispense that with my home setup.

biometrics

Beerlab has another brand of brew can. Makes 8.5L so if you double it up it's about the same as Coopers price/volume. Also doesn't need extra sugar...

1612467620612.png

Might get some for my next brew. Since I'm on a diet this volume is better.

biometrics

Ordered these, good for my diet:

1613072462235.png

1613072486771.png

Papa Smurf

But. in the mean time my 3 x fermenters have been going since 31 Jan and today is 12th Feb already. I was going to bottle 2 nights ago after work but every single day this week the lounge has been over 32 degrees celcius. No ways I am doing anything except drinking beer in my underpants in that weather.
So tomorrow morning I will be bottling first thing after I wake up and then whack off another 3 brews.

biometrics

Yeah that works out a tad expensive now. I'm still looking for a recipe to clone Black Label. That's all I need, plain and simple
Doesn’t need extra sugar so that’s a saving. Yeah I know you use regular sugar but the recommended sugar makes it taste much better.

biometrics

So ive been told
I tried it once before and i do not remember tasting a difference at all

I guess my taste buds are just fucked
With lager probably doesn't but the more complex tastes like stout, weiss and ales you absolutely taste a huge difference.