The Hortus Cultura thread

Jings

Stuff that attracts pests goes into the greenhouse. This is for stuff they ignore (mostly) like basil, mint, rosemary and thyme.
Just spray with organic insecticide. Since using one that smells of garlic, the plants are growing beautifully. No more chunks missing or little holes. Even using a weaker solution on the salvia divinorum without any issues.

biometrics

Just spray with organic insecticide. Since using one that smells of garlic, the plants are growing beautifully. No more chunks missing or little holes. Even using a weaker solution on the salvia divinorum without any issues.
I've tried organic pesticide, doesn't really work. Best to keep edibles in the greenhouse and skip the pesticides.

Jings

I've tried organic pesticide, doesn't really work. Best to keep edibles in the greenhouse and skip the pesticides.
Edibles just fine outside. Some require full sun to produce good fruits, like chilli bushes. My tabasco and dragon pepper plants would be munched by ants if not for the organic pesticide. The pesticide attracts praying mantis which fight off the ants. Requires only 24 hours period of non use before harvest.

biometrics

Edibles just fine outside. Some require full sun to produce good fruits, like chilli bushes. My tabasco and dragon pepper plants would be munched by ants if not for the organic pesticide. The pesticide attracts praying mantis which fight off the ants. Requires only 24 hours period of non use before harvest.
I've had:

caterpillars
grasshoppers
fungus
ants farming mealybugs
grub worms
spider mites
snails
wind

Nah, I'll stick to my new setup. Edibles in the greenhouse (which gets full sun btw, transparent panels), stuff the pests ignore outdoors.

Jings

I've had:

caterpillars
grasshoppers
fungus
ants farming mealybugs
grub worms
spider mites
snails
wind

Nah, I'll stick to my new setup. Edibles in the greenhouse (which gets full sun btw, transparent panels), stuff the pests ignore outdoors.

Had to look up ants farming mealybugs. Ants are amazing creatures.

You've got lots of room in your greenhouse so why not. Didn't see chilli bushes on your list in any case.

biometrics

Had to look up ants farming mealybugs. Ants are amazing creatures.

You've got lots of room in your greenhouse so why not. Didn't see chilli bushes on your list in any case.
Not going to grow chilies again as I don't use it. I am growing jalapenos though. Currently germinating in seeds trays.

Jings

Not going to grow chilies again as I don't use it. I am growing jalapenos though. Currently germinating in seeds trays.
Nice. The jalapeño seeds I planted didn't germinate but there are other chilli seedlings not identified yet because they're mystery gifts. The seller gives gifts with each order. It was just called chilli mix. Only two out of five seeds germinated fully. I hope it's not Carolina reeper as Google Lens has identified so far. Still think it's too early to tell.

BloodrayneZA

Stuff that attracts pests goes into the greenhouse. This is for stuff they ignore (mostly) like basil, mint, rosemary and thyme.
Do not ever plant mint into the ground. it's a bitch to control as it grows root tubers underground - took us months to eradicate the spearmint roots - I moved it all into a pot and there it stays without getting out of control.

biometrics

Plastic liner under the birdbath and pavers, red stones placed, birdbath cleaned and filled, weeds removed, soil levelled, rocks cleaned, soil watered.

Nursery was closed so tomorrow I get a dozen plants.

IMG_20210101_135228.jpg

biometrics

Got 15 plants for the herb garden and back of the house plus six seeds:

IMG_20210102_161612__01.jpg

And 10kg of Gold Dust.

biometrics

Might not look like it but I added ten plants (most on the far side):

IMG_20210104_144459.jpg

Marjoram
Vietnamese Coriander
Sorrel Bloody
Swiss Chard Bright Lights
Origanum Greek
Garden Mint
Mentha Moroccan Mint
Spearmint
Mentha Spearmint
Basil

Once the seedlings germinate I'll have a lot more. Ten trays of six each.

Jings

Might not look like it but I added ten plants (most on the far side):

View attachment 10072

Marjoram
Vietnamese Coriander
Sorrel Bloody
Swiss Chard Bright Lights
Origanum Greek
Garden Mint
Mentha Moroccan Mint
Spearmint
Mentha Spearmint
Basil

Once the seedlings germinate I'll have a lot more. Ten trays of six each.
Any seeds germinated yet?

BloodrayneZA

@biometrics I used to procure our seeds online through Seeds for Africa - I grew 10 asparagus seeds and they're now 3 year old crowns, my mom's still harvesting from them and keeps on planting new ones from the crowns seed pods. So maybe it's worth looking at them for their seeds - they even sell heirlooms too - I also grew coloured carrots and it was a fun experience along with some glass gem corn seeds.

I even got blue runner beans for the kids - the way I grew up, my grandfather got me my own blue runner beans and I remember them too well so I wanted to pass that experience onto my brother's kids - there was some strange sort of runner bean that grew larger than the usual beans and they stuck to your clothes like velcro. The kids had so much fun picking them and sticking them onto their clothes.

Last edited: