The Hortus Cultura thread

biometrics

@biometrics I used to procure our seeds online through Seeds for Africa - I grew 10 asparagus seeds and they're now 3 year old crowns, my mom's still harvesting from them and keeps on planting new ones from the crowns seed pods. So maybe it's worth looking at them for their seeds - they even sell heirlooms too - I also grew coloured carrots and it was a fun experience along with some glass gem corn seeds.

I even got blue runner beans for the kids - the way I grew up, my grandfather got me my own blue runner beans and I remember them too well so I wanted to pass that experience onto my brother's kids - there was some strange sort of runner bean that grew larger than the usual beans and they stuck to your clothes like velcro. The kids had so much fun picking them and sticking them onto their clothes.
I was there but I didn't like the website. Livingseeds was easier top navigate.

biometrics

Do you know where the nursery sources the seeds from?
Their story:

Jings

Their story:

Looks like they grow their own. Maybe the seeds you got were a little old.

Jings

Expiry date on the packets are 2022.
I meant the seeds in the packet were old despite the expiry date. But could also be other factors, like sun is too harsh. I had the same garden cress and edible flower seeds germinate in the back garden which gets afternoon shade but not in front which is sunny most of the day.

biometrics

I meant the seeds in the packet were old despite the expiry date. But could also be other factors, like sun is too harsh. I had the same garden cress and edible flower seeds germinate in the back garden which gets afternoon shade but not in front which is sunny most of the day.
Sure I understand. But really, 90% aren't germinating!

It's in my greenhouse, sun isn't too harsh.

Jings

@biometrics I used to procure our seeds online through Seeds for Africa - I grew 10 asparagus seeds and they're now 3 year old crowns, my mom's still harvesting from them and keeps on planting new ones from the crowns seed pods. So maybe it's worth looking at them for their seeds - they even sell heirlooms too - I also grew coloured carrots and it was a fun experience along with some glass gem corn seeds.

I even got blue runner beans for the kids - the way I grew up, my grandfather got me my own blue runner beans and I remember them too well so I wanted to pass that experience onto my brother's kids - there was some strange sort of runner bean that grew larger than the usual beans and they stuck to your clothes like velcro. The kids had so much fun picking them and sticking them onto their clothes.
Got succulent seeds from them. Most didn't germinate because I didn't check the growing season. Almost all the ceropegias germinated, within a couple weeks, and they're supposed to take 30-90 days.

BloodrayneZA

Got succulent seeds from them. Most didn't germinate because I didn't check the growing season. Almost all the ceropegias germinated, within a couple weeks, and they're supposed to take 30-90 days.
I also had the same problem - planted them at the wrong time and I have very little patience for growing certain herbs - Thyme and oregano take forever, I just forget about them eventually. That's why I rather pay a nursery to grow and sell them to the public (the ones that are harder to grow or take too long). I used to let some of the leeks and spring onions go to seed to collect their seeds for replanting and it takes up 20% of the vegetable garden space, just for those. We use a lot so that's why we keep the seeds and start the process all over again.

biometrics

What's the soil quality like? Are you adjusting the soil mix depending on the plant requirements?
The seedling trays are just soil from my garden, other things grow well in it. Yeah maybe I need better soil.

The grow boxes is good stuff though. Bottom layer is that organic stuff like Freedom Farms and top layer is potting soil.

Same result in both seedling trays and grow boxes. Actually I got two basils to germinate in the seedling trays that didn't in the grow boxes.

Jings

I also had the same problem - planted them at the wrong time and I have very little patience for growing certain herbs - Thyme and oregano take forever, I just forget about them eventually. That's why I rather pay a nursery to grow and sell them to the public (the ones that are harder to grow or take too long). I used to let some of the leeks and spring onions go to seed to collect their seeds for replanting and it takes up 20% of the vegetable garden space, just for those. We use a lot so that's why we keep the seeds and start the process all over again.

Yep, watching seeds germinating is like watching paint dry. It takes a lot of patients.

Some nurseries have some really decent plants. Planning to get some blueberry bushes and see what happens. So far the syrian rue and chillies have grown nicely.

Good thing you got the space. I have a tiny "private" garden and a little bigger open garden which doesn't get sun in winter.

Jings

The seedling trays are just soil from my garden, other things grow well in it. Yeah maybe I need better soil.

The grow boxes is good stuff though. Bottom layer is that organic stuff like Freedom Farms and top layer is potting soil.

Same result in both seedling trays and grow boxes. Actually I got two basils to germinate in the seedling trays that didn't in the grow boxes.
Can't be the soil then. Maybe your next attempt will be better, especially the sorrel.

BloodrayneZA

Yep, watching seeds germinating is like watching paint dry. It takes a lot of patients.

Some nurseries have some really decent plants. Planning to get some blueberry bushes and see what happens. So far the syrian rue and chillies have grown nicely.

Good thing you got the space. I have a tiny "private" garden and a little bigger open garden which doesn't get sun in winter.
That was on the farm back in Mooiriver.

My backyard where I live now is concrete, hence planting in containers - I have a Albert Rooster potato on the window sill to sprout for March, it's got a way to go before it can be planted. Now you can say I live in a concrete jungle. Lol.

I've spoken to my local nursery - they suggested leeks, onions, potatoes, garlic, carrots, beans, peas so I need to figure out which one I would need the most and also buy more compost bags as I need more compost.

Can't be the soil then. Maybe your next attempt will be better, especially the sorrel.
Sorrel needs to be harvested from the mother plant - we split every year on the farm and give away the excess. It grows like a monster if not kept in check.

you do need seedling compost - it's very fine compost (compared to potting compost) and more suited to growing seeds in. I worked at a nursery for a couple of months and learnt a lot from the people I worked with, including the African ladies who taught me (this was a white owner and I knew her, growing up in the area). Also they told me not to compress the soil after planting the seeds - just cover lightly and just press the top gently, not push it through.

BloodrayneZA

Will ask tomorrow. My yield is pathetic so I'll check that out. Maybe my seeds aren't that bad, or maybe they are. Will see...
I've also gone through this in the 5 years on the farm - sometimes some seeds are not just worth the time and patience. I've been lucky so far with the thyme and oregano propagation - I just rip a part of it out with the roots and replant it to try and grow a bumper crop yield and it's worked well for me so far. I would just rather buy a grow bag of different herbs (thyme, oregano as they can be split up and replanted) and that will pay for itself in the long run. Rosemary is a slow grower but worth it. I wouldn't go for majoram unless you're prepared to keep digging out tubers as they grow like a weed and I personally prefer oregano over majoram as the flavour is better.

Chives also can be split up when it gets too big and you can replant it too. Spring onions are easy, leeks are easy (but slow growers so needs a lot of space and time), carrots take up to 4 months, potatoes the same, onions too.... All of this speaking from experience. Beans and peas are easy - you just need climbing support structures and those take a small amount of space but not as much as cabbages and leeks take up.

The most reward that i got out of all of this is my glass gem corn, a long wait but they were so tasty. I would do this all over again if I had the space.

Jings

Not using the right soil has been my mistake too then, so not only due to wrong season. Next time the outcome will be better.

Y2K

Try using cocopeat and put a teaspoon of high quality potting soil in the centre. Seed shouldn't need anything except for water, growing medium and the right temp to germinate. @BloodrayneZA is right about germinating in the dark, light is your enemy.

I usually start them indoors (Your greenhouse should be perfect) until they're mature enough.

biometrics

Found soil called "seedling mix" at the nursery. Will wait for my new seeds and start over. A few things have germinated though like butternut, melon, tomato, basic, beans and peas.

Jings

Found soil called "seedling mix" at the nursery. Will wait for my new seeds and start over. A few things have germinated though like butternut, melon, tomato, basic, beans and peas.
Quite a few things there have germinated. Maybe more will follow.