The Hortus Cultura thread

The_Mowgs

At present horticulture may be defined as the science and technique of production, processing and merchandising of fruits, vegetables, flowers, spices, plantations medicinal and aromatic crops.

Lets get going in the garden whether you are planting tomatoes, cows or cannabis.

I am busy learning things for my next outdoor cannabis grow later in the year. I want to also make a nice gardening patch for the kids seeing as they enjoyed helping me with the watering of the cannabis plants during the first grow. This will also allow me to wait 7 days and then fuck their plants up like they do with mine, their faces will be priceless.

Kids are currently growing that little Checkers seed boxes, tomato, basil and some other salad kak.

I am currently growing a badazzz og kush and a special queen 1. The wife is growing a blue dream seed, trying it in the ice cream cone for ease of transplant.

I am vegging them under a acdc 150w led light on a 19 hours light, 5 hours darkness which they are responding very well to. When they are ready they will be transplanted into 20L fabric pots in living soil. I will then grow some clover in the same pots which would produce nitrogen as needed. The rest will come from microbes which will be introduced when they have been planted in the bigger pots.

I will not be using any store bought nutrients this time around and will also do more intensive training techniques. These plants will be vegged for no more than 7 weeks and then onto flower.

1b34f95d1c1c66bec046e74aa593a601.jpg

Willy Strong

I got this box with soil in. It had that soil in there for about 5 years. Failed herb box my room mate started.

I then started germinating seeds and popped them in there.

The lemon and avocado plants are probably close to 3 years in there.

I just water them and move them when the Sun is out.

Maybe I should invest more time in them, thinking about replanting...IMG_20200522_175931.jpg

Y2K

At present horticulture may be defined as the science and technique of production, processing and merchandising of fruits, vegetables, flowers, spices, plantations medicinal and aromatic crops.

Lets get going in the garden whether you are planting tomatoes, cows or cannabis.

I am busy learning things for my next outdoor cannabis grow later in the year. I want to also make a nice gardening patch for the kids seeing as they enjoyed helping me with the watering of the cannabis plants during the first grow. This will also allow me to wait 7 days and then fuck their plants up like they do with mine, their faces will be priceless.

Kids are currently growing that little Checkers seed boxes, tomato, basil and some other salad kak.

I am currently growing a badazzz og kush and a special queen 1. The wife is growing a blue dream seed, trying it in the ice cream cone for ease of transplant.

I am vegging them under a acdc 150w led light on a 19 hours light, 5 hours darkness which they are responding very well to. When they are ready they will be transplanted into 20L fabric pots in living soil. I will then grow some clover in the same pots which would produce nitrogen as needed. The rest will come from microbes which will be introduced when they have been planted in the bigger pots.

I will not be using any store bought nutrients this time around and will also do more intensive training techniques. These plants will be vegged for no more than 7 weeks and then onto flower.

1b34f95d1c1c66bec046e74aa593a601.jpg
What will you use once they outgrow the 150w LED light?

The_Mowgs

What will you use once they outgrow the 150w LED light?
I use the sun during the day but we only get 10 hours of light so I use the LED for the other 9 hours and then 5 hours in darkness for root growth.

The plants are basically grown to experiment on so not really too worried about quantity so they wont go through a complete outdoor veg cycle. I will keep them relatively small, almost like indoor plants but not grown under indoor grow lights.

The LED was R38x at acdc and seeing as its a flood light I can use it around the house the house later on.

I can still adjust the height of the light as its not fixed outside currently.

The_Mowgs

I got this box with soil in. It had that soil in there for about 5 years. Failed herb box my room mate started.

I then started germinating seeds and popped them in there.

The lemon and avocado plants are probably close to 3 years in there.

I just water them and move them when the Sun is out.

Maybe I should invest more time in them, thinking about replanting...View attachment 2651
If that cannabis plant is not in flower it might be a male. That planter is a bit small for all of those together but perhaps see if you can get some Marigold seeds from builders and plant a couple close to the herbs and veggies.

The marigolds act as a natural deterrent against kak insects and the smell actually attracts beneficial insects to your plants.

Reactions: Y2K

Urist

Starting a vertical aeroponics system with my 3d printer, off to the farmers co-op for supplies. LEDs, seeds and hopefully they have nutrient and rock wool. Sucker takes 15 hours to print, so i`ll let the seeds germinate while the thing prints away for a week or so.

aeroponic module - Copy.JPG
will keep the thread updated.

Got an unused room in my house, gonna make it a green room.

Reactions: Y2K

The_Mowgs

Starting a vertical aeroponics system with my 3d printer, off to the farmers co-op for supplies. LEDs, seeds and hopefully they have nutrient and rock wool. Sucker takes 15 hours to print, so i`ll let the seeds germinate while the thing prints away for a week or so.

View attachment 2662
will keep the thread updated.

Got an unused room in my house, gonna make it a green room.
What are you going to grow?

Urist

What are you going to grow?
I`ll start off with some various types of herbs as well as catnip, for experimentation. If it's a success i`ll switch over to more expensive stuff. Maybe tobacco as well if I can get seeds. The outright ban is coming and we all know it, good time to learn horticulture.
using this design on myminifactory.

Last edited:

Urist

If I put a bunch of cotton twines in a water can and then connect the other end to my germination tray, will it keep the coco peat that i`m using moist with capillary movement?

The_Mowgs

If I put a bunch of cotton twines in a water can and then connect the other end to my germination tray, will it keep the coco peat that i`m using moist with capillary movement?
It should work yes but why not use jiffy pellets? Hydrate them, insert seed and wait.

satanboy

It should work yes but why not use jiffy pellets? Hydrate them, insert seed and wait.
I have two in my clothing cupboard...holding thumbs because all my previous attempts have failed.

I have such a black thumb, I can't even make weeds grow.

The_Mowgs

I have two in my clothing cupboard...holding thumbs because all my previous attempts have failed.

I have such a black thumb, I can't even make weeds grow.
I have never had a failure with jiffy pellets and prefer to do it that way.

The_Mowgs

How often do you wet them?
Once, before adding the seed. They will stay hydrated for a long time. After 5 days the seeds have sprouted and I plant the entire jiffy pellet into the grow medium.

I put the pellet in a container, add water and wait for the pellet to finish expanding. Once that is done I remove excess water, plant seed about 2cm and close the top softly with jiffy pellet medium.

Urist

Don't know where to find jiffy pellets, so I stuffed one leg of my ex's old jiffy pants into the water container and put the egg carton on top of the other leg. The carton seems to suck up the moisture. Will fill it with peat and plant the seed.

Wonder if I can use the telephone line that telkom refuses to disconnect to power some leds :unsure:

Urist

Not gonna wait for delivery,
too late, bob's my uncle. My cat's weed is germinating as we speak.
Have this spare room in my house... never thought of making it a conservatory.

Last edited:

The_Mowgs

Pretty cool site, Anything else recommended for my shopping list?

View attachment 2678
Just be careful with the ph up and down, use literally a drop and test again. Also, dont let it mess, it will eat through paint and cement.

Are you going to plant catnip in those pots or what is the reason for your purchase?