The Chat Room

satanboy

Studies?

/Edit: I tried scanning through an article on Nature's website. Results appear to be a mixed bag, but then I am able to evaluate scientific literature.
If it was proven, I would have put it in the health section.

Johnatan56

Linguists might just disagree with you there.
There are also similarities between the Indo-European languages, aren't there?
I'm sorry, I meant this:
Zulu is closely related to Xhosa, Swati, and Ndebele. The three are mutually intelligible but are considered to be separate languages for political and cultural reasons. In fact, Zulu and Xhosa are similar enough linguistically to be considered dialects of one language, but the Zulu and Xhosa people consider themselves to be different people who speak different languages.
I doubt there are many similarities between Zulu and Arabic
Arabic = Middle East = Asia.

But sure, rephrase to Bantu languages, with some of them having enough difference, but a lot are pretty much the same.

Nicholas

I feel uncomfortable when people who are virtual strangers to me ask me questions about my day to day.

One of our residents died in early December, and two members of his family came down for a memorial service that was held in the back yard yesterday afternoon, and to collect his personal effects. I don't want to talk about my working hours, how long I have been at Beatty House, etc.
Also, his father is behaving as though wearing a mask and respecting social distancing regulations do not apply to him. :mad:

SlinkyMike

I feel uncomfortable when people who are virtual strangers to me ask me questions about my day to day.

One of our residents died in early December, and two members of his family came down for a memorial service that was held in the back yard yesterday afternoon, and to collect his personal effects. I don't want to talk about my working hours, how long I have been at Beatty House, etc.
Also, his father is behaving as though wearing a mask and respecting social distancing regulations do not apply to him. :mad:
Small talk is like a paper cut. Much more painful than it has any right to be.

BUT people love to talk about themselves. In fact, they are probably asking because they want to tell you the answer from their perspective, so do the old switcheroo.

"How long is your commute?"
"Ah not too bad most days, what is the traffic like where you are from?"
...then just let 'em roll while you enjoy the sweet sound of your own silence.

Well done you've just been an amazing listener!

satanboy

So Kiswahili, Amharic, Sangho, Zulu, Xhosa, Kirundi, Afrikaans, Tigrinya, Sesotho, Malagasy, Makhuwa, Tsonga, Lomwe, Sena, Hausa, Djerma, Yoruba, Igbo, Fulani, Ijaw, Ibibio, Wolof, Pulaar, Jola, Mandinka, Mende, Temne, Krio, Somali, siSwati, Ewe, Mina, Kabye, Dagomba, Ganda, Acoli, Swahili, Bemba, Kaonda, Lozi, Lunda, Luvale, Nyanja, Tonga, Chishona (Shona), Sindebele (Ndebele), Sotho, Nambya, Shangani, Venda, Chewa, Nyanja, Tonga etc are all the same?

satanboy

You have every right to point it out to him and leave the room if you are not happy. Fuck entitled cunts man.

biometrics

So Kiswahili, Amharic, Sangho, Zulu, Xhosa, Kirundi, Afrikaans, Tigrinya, Sesotho, Malagasy, Makhuwa, Tsonga, Lomwe, Sena, Hausa, Djerma, Yoruba, Igbo, Fulani, Ijaw, Ibibio, Wolof, Pulaar, Jola, Mandinka, Mende, Temne, Krio, Somali, siSwati, Ewe, Mina, Kabye, Dagomba, Ganda, Acoli, Swahili, Bemba, Kaonda, Lozi, Lunda, Luvale, Nyanja, Tonga, Chishona (Shona), Sindebele (Ndebele), Sotho, Nambya, Shangani, Venda, Chewa, Nyanja, Tonga etc are all the same?
From a European POV, yes. :p

Africa is a big country, didn't you know?

Johnatan56

No, I said a lot of them can be considered dialects of each other if judged like e.g. German, not as a full language, that's why it's called "high German". If a proper Viennese goes into dialect, no one who has not learnt a bit of it will understand it, lots of words are different, pronunciation is different, etc., and that's "tame", some people in Western Austria completely change the grammar, add double no and stuff and it's basically a new language.

Picking up one of those will often allow you to be generally communicate in quite a few of them, so it should rather be a bunch of languages and then dialects of each, and pick one as "high" language.

Johnatan56

No, Arabic is an Afroasiatic language and is an African language predominantly. Furthest east was the Arabian peninsula.

Here's another map if you didn't like the one @biometrics posted.

Various dialects of Arabic
View attachment 31371
Where it's spoken now and its origin are two different things, it came from the Arabian Peninsula, so that Asian section of land on that map.
Would you like to argue that French is African too then since Congolese?

Nicholas

Small talk is like a paper cut. Much more painful than it has any right to be.

BUT people love to talk about themselves. In fact, they are probably asking because they want to tell you the answer from their perspective, so do the old switcheroo.

"How long is your commute?"
"Ah not too bad most days, what is the traffic like where you are from?"
...then just let 'em roll while you enjoy the sweet sound of your own silence.

Well done you've just been an amazing listener!
That work if I were at all interested, and didn't want to get out of there in a hurry.