The Chat Room

satanboy

I just learned the Afrikaans word for "Artichoke",

I almost fell off the couch laughing...

"artisjok"

Nicholas

WTF
This sounds like the sort of thing one might find on TubiTV.com.

Nicholas

Yep, that's how an Afrikaans person pronounced it.
Some people see my surname, and speak to me in Afrikaans. :p
It lost an umlaut on the way to its present form. The ancestor who ended up working for the Dutch East India Company [as a builder, I think]
was from a village in Switzerland.

Jings

Some people see my surname, and speak to me in Afrikaans.
It lost an umlaut on the way to its present form. The ancestor who ended up working for the Dutch East India Company [as a builder, I think]
was from a village in Switzerland.
How much Afrikaans do you speak? I've spoken quite a bit of it being the only English speaker in the little office. The other 3 office jockeys are Afrikaans. Sometimes they laugh at my accent.

Johnatan56

Can you ski outside your place it do you need downslopes?
There's downhill, backcountry, cross-country, etc.
I live on a hill, sure, but not that much snow, Vienna is at the edge of the hills/at the start of the flat lands.
If I head like 20km west there would be a lot more snow. Last Sunday, I ended up doing a small hike in near knee-high snow, meanwhile in Vienna snow was not even ankle height and often melted away.

Skiing for me will be in Switzerland though, meeting up with a friend whose friend lives there, so accommodation about 1km from the ski slopes, and the friend has said he'll help me learn to ski again (I last skied around 7 years ago now for a week, so utterly out of practice, though I ended up being good enough to do some beginner slopes without issue, but again, long time ago).

Nicholas

How much Afrikaans do you speak? I've spoken quite a bit of it being the only English speaker in the little office. The other 3 office jockeys are Afrikaans. Sometimes they laugh at my accent.
I've barely used the language at all since 1994. We don't speak it at home [English and a tiny bit of Greek], and I haven't heard anything other than Xhosa [maybe also Zulu and Sotho] and English spoken at work. The guy who sits closest to me at work knows five languages.

Johnatan56

I've barely used the language at all since 1994. We don't speak it at home [English and a tiny bit of Greek], and I haven't heard anything other than Xhosa [maybe also Zulu and Sotho] and English spoken at work. The guy who sits closest to me at work knows five languages.
Tbh, I consider most African languages as the same language, just different dialects since so much is shared.

My gran is a bit crazy, ended up speaking (inc. writing):
Home language:
- Flemish
- Dutch
- French
Then ended up later at first language level:
- German
- English
And then second language level:
- Italian
- Spanish

My other gran was also good, but she had a lot of tutors growing up, for her it was German, and French as main, then secondary was Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, and Russian, since that was where family had businesses and she sat in with brothers.

Meanwhile I'm German, English first, Afrikaans as a distant second (I generally refuse to use it), and randomly I know things in French for some reason, think because my dad and brother practiced it a lot (Dad is German, English, Flemish, French as first, Italian as second, aunt is the same but add Spanish as second and downgrade English to second).

If we say African languages difference is big enough to be separate languages, then I speak 3 variations of German. :p

Nicholas

Tbh, I consider most African languages as the same language, just different dialects since so much is shared.

My gran is a bit crazy, ended up speaking (inc. writing):
Home language:
- Flemish
- Dutch
- French
Then ended up later at first language level:
- German
- English
And then second language level:
- Italian
- Spanish

My other gran was also good, but she had a lot of tutors growing up, for her it was German, and French as main, then secondary was Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, and Russian, since that was where family had businesses and she sat in with brothers.

Meanwhile I'm German, English first, Afrikaans as a distant second (I generally refuse to use it), and randomly I know things in French for some reason, think because my dad and brother practiced it a lot (Dad is German, English, Flemish, French as first, Italian as second, aunt is the same but add Spanish as second and downgrade English to second).

If we say African languages difference is big enough to be separate languages, then I speak 3 variations of German. :p
Linguists might just disagree with you there.
There are also similarities between the Indo-European languages, aren't there?