Over 18 (was 35, 50) in SA? Register for vaccination NOW!

Düber

Nope, didn't get one either.
I went to Clicks for mine and I was told that because I was a "walk-in" I would not get an appointment and would just have to pitch up on or around the 6 week mark.
People who were there with appointments got another one for the booster. Not sure if it is the same all over though.

biometrics

I went to Clicks for mine and I was told that because I was a "walk-in" I would not get an appointment and would just have to pitch up on or around the 6 week mark.
People who were there with appointments got another one for the booster. Not sure if it is the same all over though.
My appointment was via Discovery, might be a factor.

Düber

My appointment was via Discovery, might be a factor.
My parents are on Discovery and got theirs by SMS, but my father did say you could book online on the Discovery site, so if you are hellbent on going sooner try that perhaps?

biometrics

My parents are on Discovery and got theirs by SMS, but my father did say you could book online on the Discovery site, so if you are hellbent on going sooner try that perhaps?
Nah, will wait.

biometrics

I was wondering whether to try some walk ins round the area instead.
My booking is Wednesday so I will try walk-in the Mon/Tue. If I fail I’ll drive through on Wed. Can always cancel the Discovery booking.

Can try municipality and Clicks on Monday and Hawston on Tuesday.

7253DEEB-DDF1-4D31-8F67-64E61EDC3DED.jpeg

Spizz

My booking is Wednesday so I will try walk-in the Mon/Tue. If I fail I’ll drive through on Wed. Can always cancel the Discovery booking.

Can try municipality and Clicks on Monday and Hawston on Tuesday.

View attachment 27740

I reckon I’m going to wait the extra 2 weeks for the 8 week gap. I’ll decide as I get closer to the time.

I suppose that Clicks will be the one in the Mall? A new one also opened on Monday at the Station Mall in town.

biometrics

I reckon I’m going to wait the extra 2 weeks for the 8 week gap. I’ll decide as I get closer to the time.

I suppose that Clicks will be the one in the Mall? A new one also opened on Monday at the Station Mall in town.
Why eight weeks? Six weeks looks like the sweet spot to me. I want to get fully vaccinated asap.

Google says it’s the one in Main Rd in town opposite ABSA.

Johnatan56

Why eight weeks? Six weeks looks like the sweet spot to me. I want to get fully vaccinated asap.

Google says it’s the one in Main Rd in town opposite ABSA.
The eight weeks is based on: https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.05.15.21257017v1
Which is pre-print on a small population sample (172) of only over 80 yo, it's definitely best to wait at least 3 weeks, but anything over two weeks is fine, past that point as long as it's before 12 weeks, you're fine but it's usually the consensus 3-4 weeks is best as then best against covid, all the longer wait stuff talking about sampling error or due to still having vaccine in blood and stuff (be it smaller population, how people react, environemnts, etc.).

From that paper's results:
Our findings confirm previous studies showing that the 3-week standard-interval BNT162b2 regimen elicits strong antibody responses in older people(8). As previously reported, we detected antibody responses in all donors at 2 weeks after the second vaccine. Here we were able to extend this work to assess the stability of adaptive immunity over the next two months. A median 2.6-fold reduction in antibody titre was seen over this 8 week period and indicates waning in the early post-boost period. However, systemic antibody levels would be expected to subside within the first few weeks following antigen challenge and absolute values remained substantial in most people(9)

But again, note no peer review.

Most of the people using 8 weeks as politicians are using it so they can get more first doses out/stretch out the time in which people need the second dose.

6 weeks is good to go, anything post 3 weeks is fine, the response difference isn't that major.
I'd most likely trust the CDC: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/second-shot.html

biometrics

The eight weeks is based on: https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.05.15.21257017v1
Which is pre-print on a small population sample (172) of only over 80 yo, it's definitely best to wait at least 3 weeks, but anything over two weeks is fine, past that point as long as it's before 12 weeks, you're fine but it's usually the consensus 3-4 weeks is best as then best against covid, all the longer wait stuff talking about sampling error or due to still having vaccine in blood and stuff (be it smaller population, how people react, environemnts, etc.).

Most of the people using 8 weeks as politicians are using it so they can get more first doses out/stretch out the time in which people need the second dose.

6 weeks is good to go, anything post 3 weeks is fine, the response difference isn't that major.
I'd most likely trust the CDC: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/second-shot.html
Yeah, I’m not waiting any longer.

Spizz

See my post above. Different studies but same results. 12 weeks was a political move but 8 weeks seems to be following the science.