Home Brewing

SykomantiS

How much is that new?
Apparently R4200

I didn't bother to check the logo on mine (will do so tomorrow if I get time / remember) but he advertised it as a yeah brew ss conical fermenter (and it's 30 or 35 L). It's currently sitting in the fridge in the caravan, hooked up to a temp controller.

Think I'll go check it now, want to see what the controller is doing, the temp was 2°C lower than target when I checked in the afternoon, might be I did something wrong when configuring it.

Edit: the logo isn't facing the door and I'm not moving it now to check, but I have no reason to doubt what he said.
Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

biometrics

Apparently R4200

I didn't bother to check the logo on mine (will do so tomorrow if I get time / remember) but he advertised it as a yeah brew ss conical fermenter (and it's 30 or 35 L). It's currently sitting in the fridge in the caravan, hooked up to a temp controller.

Think I'll go check it now, want to see what the controller is doing, the temp was 2°C lower than target when I checked in the afternoon, might be I did something wrong when configuring it.

Edit: the logo isn't facing the door and I'm not moving it now to check, but I have no reason to doubt what he said.
Post pics. Us plastic plebs...

SykomantiS

So there's no logo on the fermenter itself.

As requested

IMG_20201204_075556.jpg IMG_20201204_075605.jpg IMG_20201204_075632.jpg IMG_20201204_075623.jpg

Only real irk is the feet, I would have made them maybe 10cm taller seeing how close the bottom valve is to the ground.

SykomantiS

So... If I had bought this thing brand new I'd be PISSED off right now (still am, a little bit). Handle juat came off while moving the fermenter to make soace for one of my old plastic ones with a brew in it. Luckily it didn't happen while carrying the thing the other day.

b63265e33243bcef9270175ee8ee3d4e.jpg

f833b3c99128d5571d00c1eba8a78ccf.jpg

SykomantiS

:confused: This cost cutting gets on my nerves, proper planned obsolescence!
On closer inspection, it seems to have been tacked on, but broke off, and the previous owner glued it on with pratley steel. At least, that's what it's starting to look like. Either way, poor quality to begin with. Don't think I'd pay full retail price for one / another one.

SykomantiS

Yes, maybe find a friend with a TIG to weld it and its friend for you.
My brother in law is going to do exactly that. He still has good relations with his previous employer, they have all the hardware to do it. Once this batch is done fermenting he's going to get it welded.

GreGorGy

I decided to organise things a bit better in my grain fridge. Through that exercise, I found I had 2kgs of Viking Pilsner and 1kg of something that wasn't labelled so I whipped up all of the viking and 400g of the mystery grain and made a 10L pilsner today. First grain in a month. Next weekend I have to do the ale. My taps are running dry. They will both be ready for Christmas. Pilsner is being done with Saflager and the ale will definitely be Kviek.

biometrics

Brewing 20L of Coopers Pale Ale. Right volume for my keg.

The grain brewing will have to wait until my setup improves, too much steam in my study for my electronics!

satanboy

Brewing 20L of Coopers Pale Ale. Right volume for my keg.

The grain brewing will have to wait until my setup improves, too much steam in my study for my electronics!
That is why I got myself an outdoor gas ring. Haven't used it yet.
1607432591454.png

biometrics

View attachment 9394
I've got everything I need for grain brewing and have used it once but the amount of steam generated is quite a lot and my study has lots of electronics which I don't think will like it. And that was only a 10L batch, not 25L. Going to upgrade the outside structure into a brew room next year. It's perfect for it.

Papa Smurf

View attachment 9394
I bought the exact same model a few months ago after hard lockdown ended in May or June
Havent used mine either
Buying quarts from supermarkets is so easy
Im a lazy naai
Need to fire this puppy up and make real beer again

Oooooh that reminds me, and make real biltong again

Nothing in life is better than drinking a homemade beer and snacking on homemade biltong whilst @BloodrayneZA runs her fingers through your chest hairs (y) 🍺 🔥