Getting blue screens every few days, can anyone suggest a solution

Blantyre

Yet another problem. In the past two days, the screen somehow went off and the laptop was not responding to commands to turn itself on.

I had to force shut it down with the power button and it turned on as per normal.

Does this mean that Ram is likely the issue?

BloodrayneZA

Yet another problem. In the past two days, the screen somehow went off and the laptop was not responding to commands to turn itself on.

I had to force shut it down with the power button and it turned on as per normal.

Does this mean that Ram is likely the issue?
This is a common issue with the sleep and standby mode, if you haven’t disabled it in power options. Mine doesn’t wake up from either so I’ve disabled it..

Other possibility could be a failing screen - my 10 year Samsung screen did that for three weeks before it died two days ago.

Papa Smurf

None of the systems point to RAM, but that doesnt mean it isnt the RAM
Baby steps, see how it goes now and before you install any external hardware and any software please create a Restore Point

Johnatan56

None of the systems point to RAM, but that doesnt mean it isnt the RAM
Baby steps, see how it goes now and before you install any external hardware and any software please create a Restore Point
The attempted writes usually point to RAM.
If you have two sticks, take one out and see how it goes, if still happens, swap sticks, if still happens swap to other RAM port.

Papa Smurf

The attempted writes usually point to RAM.
If you have two sticks, take one out and see how it goes, if still happens, swap sticks, if still happens swap to other RAM port.
But why on a fresh Windows install is it not happening? Yet. We're waiting for OP to report back now since the fresh install

Blantyre

Have you removed the wifi card, @newjourno?
But why on a fresh Windows install is it not happening? Yet. We're waiting for OP to report back now since the fresh install

Okay, I did the clean install yesterday. The clean install worked and the PC runs as it did normally. It's still good enough to do all my tasks. It starts up in a few seconds.

I had the blue screen as I was reading your responses for the first time a few minutes ago.

I am using my wifi adapter to receive WIFI now. I actually had my WIFI card running though so while I was not using it to receive WIFI, it was enabled.

I just disabled the internal WIFI card by going into settings. As I mentioned before, the shell of the laptop is glued on so opening it will not be that easy of a task.

Should the problem persist, is it likely a RAM issue?

The PC runs well so I assume that this rules out SSD?

biometrics

Okay, I did the clean install yesterday. The clean install worked and the PC runs as it did normally. It's still good enough to do all my tasks. It starts up in a few seconds.

I had the blue screen as I was reading your responses for the first time a few minutes ago.

I am using my wifi adapter to receive WIFI now. I actually had my WIFI card running though so while I was not using it to receive WIFI, it was enabled.

I just disabled the internal WIFI card by going into settings. As I mentioned before, the shell of the laptop is glued on so opening it will not be that easy of a task.

Remove it. As in open your laptop, unscrew the screw, disconnect the antenna cable and pull it out of it's slot.

A disabled device is still active.

dabean

Eliminate the impossible. Whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.

- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Blantyre

Remove it. As in open your laptop, unscrew the screw, disconnect the antenna cable and pull it out of it's slot.

A disabled device is still active.

Yeah Im also thinking the internal wifi first, and then possible RAM

Thanks guys, I will try with the disabled WIFI card now and the USB wifi receiver and see if that works.

I'm not the best at opening things up lol. The last time I opened it up, two screw terminals broke off and I had to use powerglue to make the shell fasten.

If it happens again, I will probably open it though.

Y2K

Swap your ram sticks around or take one out as suggested, I would recommend you boot linux or memtest86 off a flashdrive and run memory tests, remember we can only assist accurately based on the information we're given.

Rule of thumb: If a fresh install retains the problem and its not specifically related to an update then more than likely it's a hardware issue.

Last edited:

Blantyre

Swap your ram sticks around or take one out as suggested, I would recommend you boot linux or memtest86 off a flashdrive and run memory tests, remember we can only assist accurately based on the information we're given.

Rule of thumb: If a fresh install retains the problem and its not specifically related to an update then more than likely it's a hardware issue.

Thanks, I ran the MemTest scan for a few hours and it did not detect any issues.

From what I read, it usually detects major issues within the first few minutes. I also did a Windows diagnostic scan which did not detect any issues.

Johnatan56

Thanks, I ran the MemTest scan for a few hours and it did not detect any issues.

From what I read, it usually detects major issues within the first few minutes. I also did a Windows diagnostic scan which did not detect any issues.
Depends on what the issue is, but do let it run through the entire memory rather than just partial as it can be a specific bit that's the issue.
I've also had it where two sticks just don't want to play well together, so as long as you were <50% usage, everything went well with the one stick, then only if you had a lot of transfer going on, e.g. game, and it went over 8GB (had 2x8GB in that machine) it started getting blue screens/corrupt memory.

Blantyre

I've also had it where two sticks just don't want to play well together, so as long as you were <50% usage, everything went well with the one stick, then only if you had a lot of transfer going on, e.g. game, and it went over 8GB (had 2x8GB in that machine) it started getting blue screens/corrupt memory.

I did not open it up (as I mentioned before it's a bit of a job as the casing is bound together by power glue).

However, the PC has 4gb ram and I've never made any changes there since I got it so assume it must just be one stick?

Y2K

I did not open it up (as I mentioned before it's a bit of a job as the casing is bound together by power glue).

However, the PC has 4gb ram and I've never made any changes there since I got it so assume it must just be one stick?
How long have you had this machine for? When you say powerglue do you mean you used a glue gun and stick to bond it?