Getting blue screens every few days, can anyone suggest a solution

BloodrayneZA

Probably wifi-card then.

Any idea what may have caused it to go haywire?

I also noticed that the wireless adapter I got goes off when I plug in my external hard drive. It's not a big thing but can get annoying as I have to reconnect.

However, the wifi adapter was R120 and one of the cheap ones so I assume that may be why?
It shouldn’t be causing that many issues - sounds like hardware failure somewhere to me.

I have a cheap WiFi dongle for R120 from Takealot and most of issues lie in my aging hardware.

I just lost a 10 year old Samsung screen. Funny thing it did was blink rapidly at boot up and no display. I decided to test it without my gfx card and it worked fine for a day with the onboard dvi port. Next morning I start it up and it did the same thing. I borrowed another screen with both the card and onboard port - both worked fine. It was my screen - you can see why it would confuse you into thinking it was the card but wasn’t in the first place.

Sometimes issues in the event log don’t always point out the exact error.

Laptops are harder to troubleshoot - I had to replace a failing hard drive on a friends laptop and another issue came up while I was trying to diagnose the issue, her dvd drive also failed. She didn’t have the money to replace both so I paid out of my pocket to help her out (not working due to health issues and disabilities). Fixing both issues solved the problem and she got a few more years out of it, she’s still using it.

BloodrayneZA

Nah don't go with second hand tech that's an age already, worst case scenario would be to look at parts on Carbonite, I'm still rocking my i7 4790 with 16GB of Ram, it's getting a bit long in the tooth but considering I bought it in 2016 I had noone but myself to blame :ROFLMAO:
I buy some parts brand new as the warranty covers it. Others not so much - cpu and ram warranty lasts a lifetime under certain conditions. Hard drives 1 to 3 years depending on what you buy, gfx cards I’m not sure, motherboards 1 to 5 years again dependant on brand (I buy Asus for the surge protection).

the only part in my pc 2nd hand is my graphics card - 9 years and still running and i bought it from a well known forum member. I’m sure Zizzy would be pleased to hear it’s still going

Blantyre

I have a cheap WiFi dongle for R120 from Takealot and most of issues lie in my aging hardware.

I may have the same one you have, I got a TP Link one.

For some reason, it randomly switches off and I have to pull it out and insert it again for it to start working again. It is just annoying but I have not had a BSOD since I started using it.

Any idea what this might be? I did change the settings so the PC won't power it off when it is trying to save power.

BloodrayneZA

I may have the same one you have, I got a TP Link one.

For some reason, it randomly switches off and I have to pull it out and insert it again for it to start working again. It is just annoying but I have not had a BSOD since I started using it.

Any idea what this might be? I did change the settings so the PC won't power it off when it is trying to save power.
I also have the same issue at random times but not the way you described. yeah I have to pull it out and reply to get it working again. Honestly no idea why it did that and I have a 650w Corsair psu so it can’t be that.

Have you tried Google? I could do that after I get out of bed and switch my pc on

Blantyre

I also have the same issue at random times but not the way you described. yeah I have to pull it out and reply to get it working again. Honestly no idea why it did that and I have a 650w Corsair psu so it can’t be that.

Have you tried Google? I could do that after I get out of bed and switch my pc on

Lol, yes, I did. One of the leading reasons was that it switches off when the PC is on high performance and needs to conserve energy. I put it to a lower setting and also changed the settings to not allow it to switch off when the PC battery is getting low.

I went on the Computer Hope chat room and one guy suggested it might be because its a cheap device.

But I did have the PC on charge as well for about and hour and it did not happen, I'll wait to see if it is perhaps a charging issue.

Does it happen to you when the machine is charging?

BloodrayneZA

Lol, yes, I did. One of the leading reasons was that it switches off when the PC is on high performance and needs to conserve energy. I put it to a lower setting and also changed the settings to not allow it to switch off when the PC battery is getting low.

I went on the Computer Hope chat room and one guy suggested it might be because its a cheap device.

But I did have the PC on charge as well for about and hour and it did not happen, I'll wait to see if it is perhaps a charging issue.

Does it happen to you when the machine is charging?
I don't use a laptop. Only a desktop. I get similar to what you are getting but not as frequently as you do.

No such thing as a cheap device really. Mine has worked well for years so I can't really complain about it.

BloodrayneZA

Ooooh I haven't tried this @newjourno

1. Open Device Manager.
  2. Expand Network Adapters.
  3. Right-click on USB Wi-Fi Adapter and open Properties.
  4. Under the Power Management tab, uncheck the Allow the computer to turn off the device to save power box.
  5. Now, under the Advanced tab, locate Selective suspend and disable it.

BloodrayneZA

Ah, yes, I'll try selective suspend.

I've had my PC on charger for like 2 hours now and it did not once disconnect so it may be due to power somehow.
I just looked at mine and it doesn't have selective suspend but it has power management - I unticked the box (look at image attached to this post)

wifi.jpg

BloodrayneZA

Ah, yes, I'll try selective suspend.

I've had my PC on charger for like 2 hours now and it did not once disconnect so it may be due to power somehow.
Yeah I would think so too. Mine was ticked in to allow the computer to turn it off to save power

Blantyre

Just when I thought things were getting better, I had another BSOD a couple of minutes ago.

Not sure how much can be gauged from this.

Bluescreen.png

Blantyre

The random errors may be indicative of a faulty battery? It is an Astrum battery which don't have good reputations.

The original charger went haywire last year and destroyed the original battery so I inserted a generic battery and charger.

BloodrayneZA

What Windows version are you using? I used to have a lot of BSOD in Windows 7 and 8, not had them in Windows 10 - maybe once or twice in what 5 ish years now?

Blantyre

What Windows version are you using? I used to have a lot of BSOD in Windows 7 and 8, not had them in Windows 10 - maybe once or twice in what 5 ish years now?

Windows 10.

As mentioned, I factory reset the PC after it happened before. The factory reset has not solved it. The issue has only been happening for about a month now.

Blantyre

I just looked at mine and it doesn't have selective suspend but it has power management - I unticked the box (look at image attached to this post)

View attachment 10278

I just viewed event viewer and it seems like there is a common problem.

Actually, now I think it might be the battery or PSU.

Attachments

• KP.png
    KP.png
    31.9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Y2K

The random errors may be indicative of a faulty battery? It is an Astrum battery which don't have good reputations.

The original charger went haywire last year and destroyed the original battery so I inserted a generic battery and charger.
This story is unfolding from bad to worse, look I get PC parts can be expensive but you have to draw the line at some point, buying generic stuff could work but you open yourself up to more problems, this btw is what I meant by the more information you give.

Johnatan56

Actually, now I think it might be the battery or PSU.
No insult, but you have no idea what you're doing or what you're actually looking for. Pay someone else to try and sort it out, you can look for help in a forum, but you need a high enough base to ask the right question in the first place.