Getting blue screens every few days, can anyone suggest a solution

biometrics

No insult, but you have no idea what you're doing or what you're actually looking for. Pay someone else to try and sort it out, you can look for help in a forum, but you need a high enough base to ask the right question in the first place.
That machine is stuffed, time to replace it.

Grouter

I agree - average lifespan for a laptop, dependant on brand and model, between 3 to 5 years.
Yep. A lady brought me a lappie today that looked like it had been on safari for 10 years. It was filthy dirty. It had broken sides and a cracked screen covered in black lines. It was a Lenovo and I recognised the model as being about 10 years old. It had a windows 7 sticker on it. She wanted me to fix the screen. She insisted she had bought it new "only 2 years ago, maximum 3", she said. She was most affronted when I told her I wouldn't even look at, let alone attempt to fix it. I told her to go and buy a new one. She went off in a bit of a huff.

Blantyre

Pay someone else to try and sort it out, you can look for help in a forum, but you need a high enough base to ask the right question in the first place.

Thanks, I do know that I'm a novice and am trying to learn. I have managed to learn a few things from visiting forums and watching YouTube videos.

I am just a bit hesitant to visit PC repair shops as most of them seem to milk the public and charge heavy fees for basic repairs.

Blantyre

It was a Lenovo and I recognised the model as being about 10 years old. It had a windows 7 sticker on it.
Probably the result of her being lied to. A lot of these PC repair shops see Gold when they notice that the person does not know much.

They will also take your usable parts that are replaced if you don't ask for it.

Blantyre

I agree - average lifespan for a laptop, dependant on brand and model, between 3 to 5 years.

I'm going to keep it until it ends up dying for good. It still does the job for now in terms of getting my work done.

I'll savage the RAM and SSD when it breaks.

I sold my old Lenovo G50-70 for R600 three years ago when the charging port and hinge broken. I thought it would be too much to repair it and was in another city at the time and so just wanted to get rid of it. I was even more PC ignorant at the time and did not realize that the HDD and Ram could still be worth something.

The guy that bought it eventually told me he repaired it for around R1400. He did shop around though for a new body and charging port. He seemed to know how to score bargains because he said some PC shop in Durban gave him the new body+installation for R800.

Blantyre

I bought it for 7k so it is probably a lower end machine anyway. I've probably spent close to 3k on upgrades and repairs and it still has problems so yes, I should stuff it when it gives up.

BloodrayneZA

Yep. A lady brought me a lappie today that looked like it had been on safari for 10 years. It was filthy dirty. It had broken sides and a cracked screen covered in black lines. It was a Lenovo and I recognised the model as being about 10 years old. It had a windows 7 sticker on it. She wanted me to fix the screen. She insisted she had bought it new "only 2 years ago, maximum 3", she said. She was most affronted when I told her I wouldn't even look at, let alone attempt to fix it. I told her to go and buy a new one. She went off in a bit of a huff.
Ew I can imagine your disgust at the dirt. I can’t understand why people don’t keep their laptops and phones clean - that’s where the majority of germs come in and become deadly. Specially in this pandemic, it’s important more than ever.

I just cleaned out a charging port of an iPhone bec it was no longing allowing the cable to be plugged in. I dug out a years worth of pocket lint. My housemate thought he’d have to get a new phone until I discovered what was going on and cleaned it out.

I just watched a YouTube video recently on cleaning iPhones and you’d not believe the amount of dirt the guy had to dig out of it.

Blantyre

This story is unfolding from bad to worse, look I get PC parts can be expensive but you have to draw the line at some point, buying generic stuff could work but you open yourself up to more problems, this btw is what I meant by the more information you give.

I've had it with no battery for three days and no BSOD's since the last time I posted here.

I inserted the battery for a few minutes today after getting bit annoyed because I turned and the PC powered off and in that time, the WIFI card started behaving weirdly (i.e not detecting any networks), this is usually what happens before the BSOD strikes.

It looks like it might be an issue related to power.

Grouter

Is it an Acer? I once had an old Acer that went batshit crazy on a client. Took the battery out and it ran like a dream for a few more years. Only discovered the trick from a random old forum post I found somewhere like Tomshardware or someplace. Weird.

Blantyre

Took the battery out and it ran like a dream for a few more years. Only discovered the trick from a random old forum post I found somewhere like Tomshardware or someplace. Weird.

I've taken out my battery and it's worked fairly well over the past couple of days. Yes, it may be an issue because my battery was also an Astrum and Astrum stuff does not have a good reputation.

Mine is an HP. I will maybe keep it on mains for a month before deciding whether to get a new battery.

BloodrayneZA

I've taken out my battery and it's worked fairly well over the past couple of days. Yes, it may be an issue because my battery was also an Astrum and Astrum stuff does not have a good reputation.

Mine is an HP. I will maybe keep it on mains for a month before deciding whether to get a new battery.
I know it’s not cheap but I rather stick to well known brands that are certified and are compatible.

Blantyre

I know it’s not cheap but I rather stick to well known brands that are certified and are compatible.

The lesson from all this is to stay the f**k away from Astrum and advise everyone else to do the same. I should have actually got the message when I used two of their chargers before which broke.

Blantyre

I feel like an idiot.

Turned out to be outdated drivers which I resolved by downloading snail driver lite pro. It turned out to not be the battery. I actually bought a replacement battery but returned it.

It was just strange that the outdated drivers were not resolved when I factory reset Windows.

It is a learning process I guess, luckily I didn't buy a new PC

biometrics

I feel like an idiot.

Turned out to be outdated drivers which I resolved by downloading snail driver lite pro. It turned out to not be the battery. I actually bought a replacement battery but returned it.

It was just strange that the outdated drivers were not resolved when I factory reset Windows.

It is a learning process I guess, luckily I didn't buy a new PC
Live and learn, that's the PC way... ;)