Cryptocurrencies

SauRoN

RIP Ripple

I don’t know hey, it could go either way.

This is a bit of a landmark case and the fact that Ripple came out ahead of the SEC and announced they were about to be sued kind of says a lot about how they don’t feel they are in the wrong in a modern context.

This didn’t come out of nowhere either, it’s been leading up to it for years now so most people invested in XRP aren’t really surprised by it.

Sent from my iPhone

SoldierMan

Could argue that about bitcoin too. It will crash, just a matter of time.

My point is if you are going to buy crypto then BTC is the way to go.
With all the money printing going on it's only a matter of time until the dollar crashes, would rather be holding gold and maybe bitcoin when that happens. Did you know that in 2020 of all the dollars that were made, 21% were printed by the Fed. 21% that is insane, it's like they don't even care anymore, the people have been sedated. The debt cannot be repaid. They are in a never ending money printing spiral that will end in disaster.

biometrics

My point is if you are going to buy crypto then BTC is the way to go.
With all the money printing going on it's only a matter of time until the dollar crashes, would rather be holding gold and maybe bitcoin when that happens. Did you know that in 2020 of all the dollars that were made, 21% were printed by the Fed. 21% that is insane, it's like they don't even care anymore, the people have been sedated. The debt cannot be repaid. They are in a never ending money printing spiral that will end in disaster.
I'd agree, the others are all Johnnie come lately.

The $ printing is certainly helping the rand so I don't mind.

As to investments, I'd rather own property.

SoldierMan

I'd agree, the others are all Johnnie come lately.

The $ printing is certainly helping the rand so I don't mind.

I wouldn't put all my eggs in one basket. Way too dangerous. If the dollar collapses everyone will feel it, property prices will dive IMO.

Jings

I'm looking to change digital wallet. Can anyone recommend a reliable one?

biometrics

Treasury nominee Yellen is looking to curtail use of cryptocurrency​

Yellen argues many cryptocurrencies are used "mainly for illicit financing."

Cryptocurrencies could come under renewed regulatory scrutiny over the next four years if Janet Yellen, Joe Biden's pick to lead the Treasury Department, gets her way. During Yellen's Tuesday confirmation hearing before the Senate Finance Committee, Sen. Maggie Hassan (D-N.H.) asked Yellen about the use of cryptocurrency by terrorists and other criminals.

"Cryptocurrencies are a particular concern," Yellen responded. "I think many are used—at least in a transactions sense—mainly for illicit financing."

She said she wanted to "examine ways in which we can curtail their use and make sure that [money laundering] doesn't occur through those channels."

biometrics

Here's an excellent Twitter thread by Stephen Diehl (@smdiehl) about what Bitcoin really is (with an earlier one further down below).

*** TRIGGER WARNING The Bitcoin boosters might want to overt their eyes! ***

Let's discuss the environmental cost of bitcoin. Because despite all the push for sustainable and green investment in the tech sector, there's a giant smoldering Chernobyl sitting at the heart of Silicon Valley which a lot of investors would prefer you remain quiet about. Thread (1/)
TLDR on bitcoin economics: It's a pyramid-shaped investment scheme backed by the collective delusion that value can created out of nothing by convincing greater fools to buy it after you do. [references earlier thread, also down below] (2/)
That alone is sufficiently awful on its own merits, but on top of this the environmental damages of bitcoin are enough to make even Greta Thunberg weep at the pointless waste of it all. (3/)
The underlying technology of bitcoin is based on the notion of "mining", a technical term for a process that keeps the network running and processing transactions. (4/)
I won't cover the details of the algorithm, suffice it to say the premise of bitcoin mining is to prove how much power you can waste, and the more power you can waste, the more tokens you can probabilistically secure in exchange for your energy waste. (5/)
And so people have set up entire warehouses of computer hardware dedicated to run 24/7 consuming power and performing the trial computations required by the protocol. Globally this consumes *nation state* levels of energy to keep it all running. (6/)
Bitcoin mining is essentially a fucked up version of Candy Crush where you solve puzzles for coins, except the coins go to buy darknet fentanyl, launder money for warlords and provide gambling for hedge fund managers. (7/)
And the scale of this waste has some scary numbers attached to it. A single bitcoin transaction alone consumes 621 KWh, or half a million times more energy consumption than a credit card payment. (8/)
The bitcoin network annually wastes 78 TWh (terrawatt hours) annually or the energy consumption of several *million* US households. WolframAlpha gives some scary comparisons to help you relate to how much energy this is (think nuclear weapons). https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=77.78+terrawatt+hours(9/)
Unlike other economic activities, the bitcoin scheme produces absolutely nothing for all this waste. It is a pure speculative activity of people gambling on the random movements of prices and the only output is simply shuffling numbers around in a computer at insane cost. (10/)
In addition to the energy waste and CO2 emitted, the mining process itself requires constant replacement of hardware and produces a steady stream of waste from broken and exhausted computer parts. All of which are full of toxins and rare earth metals. (11/)
The network produces 11.27 kilotons of waste annually or 96 grams of electronic waste per transaction. This is the equivalent annual e-waste as several small countries and equivalent to the waste of 482,456 people living at the German standard. (12/)
Try to imagine a future where paying for your morning coffee involved smashing an iPhone and burning enough fossil fuels to run your entire household for 60 days. That's the environmental cost of the "revolutionary" technology behind #Bitcoin in a nutshell. (13/)
Climate scientists have estimated that #Bitcoin emissions alone could push global warming above 2C. And this is just one of *hundreds* of other cryptocurrency networks that run on this apocalyptically wasteful set of ideas. (14/) https://www.nature.com/articles/s41558-018-0321-8
Climate change is not some abstract threat happening elsewhere, it is very real, and is happening everywhere we chose to invest in unsustainable and wasteful technology. The absurd waste of bitcoin is a simultaneously both an environmental and a moral disaster. (15/)
Stephen, this is really bad, how can I help change this? * Don't buy bitcoins. * Tell friends not to buy bitcoins. * Consider ethics of holding dirty companies ($MSTR, $SI, $SQ, $PYPL, Coinbase) in your portfolio. * ... and products (funds, ETFs, etc) with crypto exposure. /fin
And his earlier thread referenced above:

Let's have a frank discussion about bitcoin hype. Bitcoin is really an symptom of the problems of our era, of a post-truth world awash in crackpottery and of a breakdown of trust in our institutions. Thread (1/)
First, cryptocurrencies absolutely aren't currencies. They're a sort of pseudo-asset, in the sense that all people do is speculate on its price movements with the expectation of a return on investment. (2/)
Which is pretty much why all bitcoiners ever do is just talk about its price in USD, because there's nothing else *to* talk about. There's no additional structure to the asset other than what someone else will pay for it currently. (3/)
This is very different than trading other products like bonds or equities. Companies actually *do* an economic activity: they build cars, fabricate semiconductors, cook burgers etc. (4/)
You can value normal financial products in terms of the risk associated with their future cashflows and get some approximation for what they are worth on the market. (5/)
Bitcoin has no structure or future cashflows. It is simply a greater fool investment, you only buy them to sell them to someone who is a greater fool than you and will pay more for it. (6/)
Trading these kind of products is a purely negative sum activity, if you factor in the market making and transactions on top of the zero-sum musical chairs, trading it statistically has a negative expected return. (7/)
Sure some people will make money, however you'll never hear about the ones that don't. And everything one winner is necessarily paid by out by multiple losers. (8/)
The reason bitcoiners take out advertisements on the subway and engage in conspicuous consumption is to increase the pool of fools, so that those that bought in early can cash out. (9/)
The whole structure of this project is just wealth redistribution derived from fleecing others and convincing them to buy into this get-rich scheme. Which is why these people are so vocal in touting the investment and act like rabid cultists. (10/)
The whole "brand" of this scheme depends on public perception that it is actually some crazy future tech that you have to get in early on, or miss out. And it cloaks itself in this techno-libertarian narrative about financial independence from the state. (11/)
The reality is simply the same story conmen and hucksters have been selling throughout human history: money for nothing out of nothing, just get in early and don’t ask where it comes from. (12/)
If you peel back the slick marketing and technical obscurantism you're confronted with a simple inescapable cashflow question. Where will all the money come from to pay out all these new paper bitcoin millionaires?
The answer is simple: they need it to come from you.
/fin