What's the story behind your username and avatar?

OCP

My avatar pic is my little shadow Blu when he was a pup.

The name is from Excession by Iain M. Banks (one of my favourite authors) - had just finished the book and needed a name for online gaming - was the first thing that popped into my head and seemed apt at the time.

Played paintball extensively for 12+ years - most of the people there only know me by that handle :)

LD50

You haven't explained yours yet...
Well @Dave it's too dramatic really..
For those not in the know my username LD50 is commonly used in Toxicology. So in short the LD stands for lethal dose and LD50 expresses the amount of a substance needed to kill 50% of the test group/population. So even water has a LD50 value.
It turns out that the LD50 of Ethanol for my weight is roughly 1L of an alcoholic beverage with a 40%/vol alc content taken all at once.

Now....this brings me to the profile pic. Given the above It kinda saddens me to know this limitation exists. Given my romantic affair with wine, whiskey, beer and various other alcoholic beverages it saddens me David, that I ALWAYS have to be aware.

Just knocks the wind out of me..

/sips red knowing there's a 10L brew

Last edited:

Dave

For those not in the know my username LD50 is commonly used in Toxicology. So in short the LD stands for lethal dose and LD50 expresses the amount of a substance needed to kill 50% of the test group/population. So even water has a LD50 value.
It turns out that the LD50 of Ethanol for my weight is roughly 1L of an alcoholic beverage with a 40%/vol alc content taken all at once.

We had already discussed it (you forget our conversations so quickly 😢), it was for the benefit of the other users to understand where you're coming from ;)

• Wow
Reactions: Y2K

Tribs

S

Now....this brings me to the profile pic. Given the above It kinda saddens me to know this limitation exists. Given my romantic affair with wine, whiskey, beer and various other alcoholic beverages it saddens me David, that I ALWAYS have to be aware.

Just knocks the wind out of me..

/sips red knowing there's a 10L brew

Sometimes it is good to remember that you are mortal

SauRoN

Way back when I believe I was still in primary school and was introduced to LOTR by a family member and so took the name as my gamer tag reference and general online identity.

Of course then the movies happened and suddenly everyone thinks you are an overnight fanboy, but for the lack of coming up with anything better or not just another Tolkien reference I just stuck to it.

Whenever I need a name for a server or SSID or whatever random name is required somewhere I take one from Tolkien.

Sent from my iPhone