What can I do to load OS to old Toshiba laptop?

bigAl-sa

OK, antiX was an exercise in futility, couldn't get it to change screen res, and trying to connect to wifi felt like a three day journey (well at least 3 quarts).

Not recommended.

Seldom Bucket

I might try Bodhi, saw some decent recommendations on it (but then antiX also had good recommendations).
Never heard of antiX (Downloading now)

Installing Bodhi first, will let you know. Plus Bodhi is Ubuntu LTS based, I'm quite familiar with my way around Ubuntu

Last edited:

bigAl-sa

Never heard of antiX (Downloading now)

Installing Bodhi first, will let you know. Plus Bodhi is Ubuntu LTS based, I'm quite familiar with my way around Ubuntu
antiX is Debian based, so shouldn't be too far off the mark

Blantyre

I put in a 1tb HD (the one from my main PC before I upgraded to SSD) and bought an additional 2GB Ram off Takealot (it's now 3gb in total) and loaded Lubuntu as the OS.

It works okay for basic tasks my main PC still works better.

It could work as an emergency option (I have a feeling my main one might give in some time because of its condition but I'll use it until it dies). I've been using it often for +- 8 hours a day for the past three years and it took a few drops.

I'll probably end up donating it to someone who needs it, eventually. It could serve a student who is doing a course non PC related I guess.

I wish I knew this stuff in Uni. I ended up retiring the PC in 2014 because I thought nothing could be done for it.

bigAl-sa

I might try Bodhi, saw some decent recommendations on it (but then antiX also had good recommendations).
Bodhi ended up on a white screen, so these distros don't seem to have the display drivers for these old machines available.

I've gone back to Lubuntu - at least I can boot into it without too much troubles. Now to get the network manager working.

Seldom Bucket

No, may have a go when I am back from the boonies in 2 wks. Back on antix at this stage. Still can't get the samba share to work, but gaining ground
Garuda Xfce looks like the lightweight one. Looks good, will see when I install it.

Edit:
Looks good like windows, but you know not windows

Last edited: