What can I do to load OS to old Toshiba laptop?

Blantyre

Zero Chance, it's over 20 years old, the AntiVirus would go beserk if I hooked it up to the internet

What are you doing to do with it? Keep it as an ornament? If you can keep it in mint condition, maybe it's value will skyrocket one day.

Johnatan56

Check the laptop specs on the manufacturer website or open the RAM slot and take a pic of the stick in there and send that to them.
No need to do this, just check what CPU it is.
Find it on intel ark, e.g. 4720HQ: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...4720hq-processor-6m-cache-up-to-3-60-ghz.html
And then look for Memory Types:
1609369024833.png
For this CPU it's DDR3L 1600 required.

If it's not mentioned on the site, e.g. it's a Celeron M 520, 95% chance it's DDR2 SDRAM, and based on the age of the device, that would be my guess.

Generally not worth upgrading such a machine and resigning it to the garbage pile.

1609369253155.png
The reason I state that is that this is a 1.6GHz part consuming 30W, on a 65nm process node. The node is so old that probably a modern Intel 14nm CPU could probably have higher performance at 15W at 0.5GHz than it. Any modern Android tablet even running a Snapdragon 660 would be stronger while consuming substantially less power.

If you need it for e.g. YT for TV, look at getting a chromecast instead.

Blantyre

No need to do this, just check what CPU it is.
Find it on intel ark, e.g. 4720HQ: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...4720hq-processor-6m-cache-up-to-3-60-ghz.html
And then look for Memory Types:
View attachment 10007
For this CPU it's DDR3L 1600 required.

If it's not mentioned on the site, e.g. it's a Celeron M 520, 95% chance it's DDR2 SDRAM, and based on the age of the device, that would be my guess.

Generally not worth upgrading such a machine and resigning it to the garbage pile.

View attachment 10008
The reason I state that is that this is a 1.6GHz part consuming 30W, on a 65nm process node. The node is so old that probably a modern Intel 14nm CPU could probably have higher performance at 15W at 0.5GHz than it. Any modern Android tablet even running a Snapdragon 660 would be stronger while consuming substantially less power.

If you need it for e.g. YT for TV, look at getting a chromecast instead.

I thought it may be a good learning experience as well to get it up and running so I can learn more about PC's and components which will also help me to not yet ripped off when visiting PC repair shops.

I opened it up today to try and learn how to connect/disconnect the RAM Module. I did so and rescrewed it but now the visuals are not appearing on the screen when I switch it on.

Idea idea whether something became loose.

This is a pic for reference. PC.jpeg

biometrics

I thought it may be a good learning experience as well to get it up and running so I can learn more about PC's and components which will also help me to not yet ripped off when visiting PC repair shops.

I opened it up today to try and learn how to connect/disconnect the RAM Module. I did so and rescrewed it but now the visuals are not appearing on the screen when I switch it on.

Idea idea whether something became loose.

This is a pic for reference. View attachment 10014
Doesn't look like it's in the slot. Those copper teeth should be inserted into the white plastic bar below it.

Remove it. Then insert it at a slight angle, like 15 degrees, the copper teeth should sink in with a little bit of pressure. Then push the card downwards (i.e. no angle) and the thing on the left should click in.

biometrics

Check the wifi card to the bottom left of it, should be that deep in.

Blantyre

Doing this was a good decision. I once paid R750 to a computer shop when my main PC had a similar issue. The guy basically finished the job in 1-2 hours saying it was a "motherboard related" issue. He must have just tightened the RAM modules.

It's evident that these PC shops prey on people who are not clued up.

biometrics

Thanks, would DDR2 be the RAM I search for to buy?
Check the number on that stick: pc2-5300s-555-12-e3

E.g.:

Get two of those new and replace the 1GB for a total of 4GB.

You should be able to get them used for next to nothing from your neighbourhood computer shop. Send them the pic from above.

I believe this is your laptop specs:

Note it says the maximum is 4 GB total.

Johnatan56

SOdimm is notebook memory - smaller than desktop memory
Small outline DIMM (dual in-line memory module).

For learning I'd probably find older desktop machines instead since then you can mess with e.g. cleaning up and reseating the GPU, learn how to take an old graphics card apart (maybe find two old GPU's and swap the fans on them around)(though I think most don't know how to do this) or at least learn how to take something out and reinsert it in a PCIe slot.

Building a PC can be interesting if done for the first few times.

BloodrayneZA

Small outline DIMM (dual in-line memory module).
Thank you for that, it's been over 6 years since I worked for Prophecy and couldn't remember what it stood for and how it was written out. Just to remind myself - SoDIMM.

Yeah I started out with an old desktop and it was a good learning curve, specially for a new technician but however it was old technology and when I started my first job as an IT workshop technician, I was only shown once and just went from there - it's so easy once you get into it (it'll be now 15 years for me now).

Blantyre

You should be able to get them used for next to nothing from your neighbourhood computer shop. Send them the pic from above.

Any idea how much they sell for a PC shops? I saw 2gb DDR2 sticks for R150 each on Bid or Buy.

Prom

Just for future reference you don't need to "burn" the ISO to the drive. Any drive formatted in windows can be used to simply copy all the files and it should boot and install.

Blantyre

No idea, but it will be old and used, probably in a box in the back of a cupboard...

No need to buy new. Call them and ask. Make sure to mention it's for a laptop.

I put in a 240gb SSD. Thought it would be a good future investment anyway since my current main PC will not last the long-term.

I loaded windows 7 again and the SSD has made absolutely no difference. I ordered a 2gb DDR2 ram card off Takealot for just under R200. Will insert that in next week and see if it makes a big difference.

Johnatan56

Just for future reference you don't need to "burn" the ISO to the drive. Any drive formatted in windows can be used to simply copy all the files and it should boot and install.
Old machine that's DDR2 probably doesn't have USB boot support.