What can I do to load OS to old Toshiba laptop?

Blantyre

I upgraded my main PC to a SSD and want to try the old HD from it in a 2008 Toshiba Satellite L300 which I had. The Toshiba has retired around 7 years ago due to being unbearably slow. I just want to get it usable again to do basic tasks like typing and surfing the net as it is in mint condition.

I downloaded Windows 7 ISO and burnt the file to a USB using the "ISO to USB" app.

However, when I tried inserting the USB into my Toshiba, the screen is simply blink. Please see images attached.

1.png

Düber

I had a pc once that didn't listen to the bios settings and would try the HDD first and only, however in the boot screens the was a keypress to enter the boot menu where you could choose USB,DVD ROM etc.
Perhaps this is the same.
You might have to disable the splash screen in the bios to show the boot process.

Blantyre

@biometrics @Düber, thanks for your input. I tried another storage device to load the Windows and now it detects. However, I am getting the following message.

Any idea on how to resolve it? I even disconnected the attached HDD and formatted it as an external from my main PC but the problem carries on.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2020-12-29 at 11.21.23 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-12-29 at 11.21.23 PM.jpeg
    70.9 KB · Views: 20

Blantyre

@biometrics @Düber, thanks for your input. I tried another storage device to load the Windows and now it detects. However, I am getting the following message.

Any idea on how to resolve it? I even disconnected the attached HDD and formatted it as an external from my main PC but the problem carries on.
Think I solved it, just watched a video on YouTube. Will see what happens.

Blantyre

Delete all the partitions.

Done, I actually got it to run Windows 7. It does decent and can do things like typing and even stream (though not HD).

Anything I can do to get it to run even faster? I might just fit in an SSD soon.

biometrics

Done, I actually got it to run Windows 7. It does decent and can do things like typing and even stream (though not HD).

Anything I can do to get it to run even faster? I might just fit in an SSD soon.
SSD and RAM.

biometrics

If you are not tied to Windows, a light Linux distro will speed it up without costing money.
Considering that this is your objective.
Depends how much RAM he has, I've seen Linux run like a dog without enough.

Blantyre

Yes of course, but I am assuming he has at least 2GB, he didn't give us any specs though.

This is it. If I'm not mistaken, it can accommodate up to 2gb ram. It currently has 1gb according to the settings.

Düber

This is it. If I'm not mistaken, it can accommodate up to 2gb ram. It currently has 1gb according to the settings.
Well then I fear until you do something about that it will be slow. Try some computer shops, sometimes they have 2nd hand RAM modules for sale that came from upgrades.

biometrics

Don't bother with an SSD until you increase the RAM. Pretty sure it will do more than 2 GB. Try upgrade to 4GB.

Blantyre

Don't bother with an SSD until you increase the RAM. Pretty sure it will do more than 2 GB. Try upgrade to 4GB.
Thanks, can you suggest the type of RAM I need to get or perhaps post a link to an identical product? I texted a PC shop owner near me and his question was "what type" when I asked him if he sells RAM.

I'm still learning about PC's so I apologize for any novice questions.

Papa Smurf

aaah good memories
I must go find my Toshiba Libretto 50CT in the spare room from the 90s running Win 98 (y)

Toshiba Libretto 50ct : Svarichevsky Mikhail

biometrics

Thanks, can you suggest the type of RAM I need to get or perhaps post a link to an identical product? I texted a PC shop owner near me and his question was "what type" when I asked him if he sells RAM.

I'm still learning about PC's so I apologize for any novice questions.
Check the laptop specs on the manufacturer website or open the RAM slot and take a pic of the stick in there and send that to them.