What can I do to load OS to old Toshiba laptop?

Y2K

I upgraded my main PC to a SSD and want to try the old HD from it in a 2008 Toshiba Satellite L300 which I had. The Toshiba has retired around 7 years ago due to being unbearably slow. I just want to get it usable again to do basic tasks like typing and surfing the net as it is in mint condition.

I downloaded Windows 7 ISO and burnt the file to a USB using the "ISO to USB" app.

However, when I tried inserting the USB into my Toshiba, the screen is simply blink. Please see images attached.

View attachment 9978
Just install Linux bro it's perfect for what you need.

bigAl-sa

Old machines like that are prolly 32-bit. There are very few 32-bit distros out there and most are due to expire at the end of this year.

Lubuntu 18.04 still works on my 32-bit netbook.

Blantyre

Lubuntu 18.04 still works on my 32-bit netbook.p

I bought a new 2gb Ram card from Takealot to make it 3gb in total and also installed Lubuntu

The WIFI internal card and touchpad was not working properly in WIndows 7. I assumed it must be faulty hardware due to the age of the PC. It turns out that the WIFI card and touchpad are working properly in Lubuntu so it must have been a software driver issue. The PC was originally a Windows Vista.

This means that I basically bought a new cheap usb wifi adapter and mouse for nothing.

BloodrayneZA

I bought a new 2gb Ram card from Takealot to make it 3gb in total and also installed Lubuntu

The WIFI internal card and touchpad was not working properly in WIndows 7. I assumed it must be faulty hardware due to the age of the PC. It turns out that the WIFI card and touchpad are working properly in Lubuntu so it must have been a software driver issue. The PC was originally a Windows Vista.

This means that I basically bought a new cheap usb wifi adapter and mouse for nothing.
Yeah Linux has some advantages that windows doesn’t. I haven’t completely switched over bec of my windows games

biometrics

Return it.

Y2K

:ROFLMAO: I told you bro there's certain cases where Linux excels, usually I tell people to go with Windows 10 because it does a pretty good job of fetching drivers but it does not always work.

BloodrayneZA

:ROFLMAO: I told you bro there's certain cases where Linux excels, usually I tell people to go with Windows 10 because it does a pretty good job of fetching drivers but it does not always work.
Indeed, and sometimes the updates just fuck things up...

Blantyre

Return it.

They agreed to take the one USB Adapter I got and another item I got. Will have to make do with the mouse and 1st Wifi adapter as I threw the packaging away but it's not a total waste of money as it could come in handy one day or be a good gift for someone in need.

Johnatan56

It should as most that came out around DDR2 had it but with a laptop I guess anything is possible.
I had the exact opposite experience, even most early DDR3 machines did not have USB boot support. Only remember it on premium boards from around 2012, then actually becoming mainstream around 2014/15 or so.

spiderz

I had the exact opposite experience, even most early DDR3 machines did not have USB boot support. Only remember it on premium boards from around 2012, then actually becoming mainstream around 2014/15 or s
My gaming Pc still runs DDR2 and it has usb boot!

Johnatan56

My 2009 Netbook (atom processor) has usb boot. DDR2 ram.
Just checked my 2006 acer travelmate, no USB boot, my other old acer also did not, remember burning a flash for it, and I know my one old PC that died that had a cheap mobo from 2009 did not have it.

Think it's literally a case of how cheap the device was, more premium stuff had it.

Prom

Think there is some miscommunication here. What do people call USB boot? And what is burning a flash?

If it can boot from a USB drive it has USB boot support and from what I've seen all boards with USB can boot from it but it's sometimes a hidden option.