The Chat Room

Baxteen

I would have agreed with that in every other position I am in.
but where I am now for me and my department it is the truth. at least for work stuff.
a weird sign that you can actually criticize things here is how reluctant the department is to bring HR in to things. Hr is a Rat that is out to help the company and screw the people. and that is my Boss's words on HR.

it feels weird to be in a place where I really feel like we are breaking the established rules of how things work.

DA-LION-619

Market value
I would add on replacement cost which gets overlooked.
1-6 months spent on training not producing value is a cost.
Easier to retain than replace.

If someone resigned without a counter offer there’s a bigger problem, if there was an offer and it was rejected. Someone decided replacing was cheaper than retaining.

Baxteen

in our case he left because he is changing career paths. moving out of reporting/business analytics and into c# dev. he was lucky that a previous company offered him a role as a junior c# dev to give him training AND offered him an increase. he would have had an opportunity to move into a similar role with us but he would have stayed at the same salary.
he thinks its the right call for him. I disagree, he is going from a good work environment to a very toxic one. we both worked for that same company before and we know how bad things are there.

Nicholas

Just remember when your boss/manager says to you; "You can tell me anything." DON'T. Be very careful.

They hate criticism and the truth.
Agreed. I made the mistake of telling my first boss my personal history. I got the impression that they were the sort of manager who would sometimes try to help their subordinates with personal problems.

DA-LION-619

in our case he left because he is changing career paths. moving out of reporting/business analytics and into c# dev. he was lucky that a previous company offered him a role as a junior c# dev to give him training AND offered him an increase. he would have had an opportunity to move into a similar role with us but he would have stayed at the same salary.
he thinks its the right call for him. I disagree, he is going from a good work environment to a very toxic one. we both worked for that same company before and we know how bad things are there.
Gen-Z has a honest attitude about this, “why do you want this job?” I don’t want the job, I want the money. The money compensates for the toxicity.
Let’s be honest, training is a tax write-off because it’s a cost(assuming they’re a MS partner which is a benefit to the company, which can’t be passed to a contractor, only an employee).
Pragmatically ‘management’ could have kept them on WITH AN INCREASE to train a junior and then let them move onto a new role.

Someone fucked up, when you’re bending rules I would ask questions. I don’t have a HR department but maybe you get away for sometime before it bubbles to the top.
Kicking the can down the road, doesn’t solve the problem either you need to pick it up later(like technical debt) or the road gets blocked.

I don’t really see an issue because it’s not your problem. Your boss needs to eat the shit because they did the cost benefit analysis.

DA-LION-619

Agreed. I made the mistake of telling my first boss my personal history. I got the impression that they were the sort of manager who would sometimes try to help their subordinates with personal problems.
Classic story of “tell me your problems” which has the reply of “I don’t have the time, I don’t care”.

Baxteen

Gen-Z has a honest attitude about this, “why do you want this job?” I don’t want the job, I want the money. The money compensates for the toxicity.
Let’s be honest, training is a tax write-off because it’s a cost(assuming they’re a MS partner which is a benefit to the company, which can’t be passed to a contractor, only an employee).
Pragmatically ‘management’ could have kept them on WITH AN INCREASE to train a junior and then let them move onto a new role.

Someone fucked up, when you’re bending rules I would ask questions. I don’t have a HR department but maybe you get away for sometime before it bubbles to the top.
Kicking the can down the road, doesn’t solve the problem either you need to pick it up later(like technical debt) or the road gets blocked.

I don’t really see an issue because it’s not your problem. Your boss needs to eat the shit because they did the cost benefit analysis.
I would have loved to take on a junior and train them up while he was still around.
we had another team member move to a different department on the 1st of November and had a few interviews.
after one candidate we all liked we sat down as a team. me my boss and my team. and talked about it. we decided that the work load we have does not require a replacement, with the goal of evaluating again in March. this was a sugjestion from the team not from me or the boss.
the person who left did so without really giving us warning. he did not go for an interview he had dinner with the person who will be his boss, and that is not something new as they have been friends a long time. that was on Saturday night monday he had a teams call with the HR department where they made him an offer. he resigned straight after. and he only needs to give 2 weeks notice. so his last day is end of the month.

Sonikku

I would add on replacement cost which gets overlooked.
1-6 months spent on training not producing value is a cost.
Easier to retain than replace.

If someone resigned without a counter offer there’s a bigger problem, if there was an offer and it was rejected. Someone decided replacing was cheaper than retaining.
Or like my present company, they actually want the people to leave out of their own accord...