The Chat Room

Tribs

It's hard to feel special when you are one of eight billion.
Mmmm there must be something wrong with me. I have never felt special - especially in a work environment. It is not of issue as I am there to do my job and as long as I love doing it, it doesn't bother me if I am called a resource. Water is a resource, as are minerals. Both are very important to the functioning of a society. What I do, thousands of others can do too. Often I teach them how. My skills are not unique and I am totally replaceable.

Arzy

Yeah, over the entire being special thing. Just an exercise in obfuscation especially in big corporates with all their wellness and recognition programs.

Dug out a box last year when we were moving with a bunch of the certificates and little trophies I'd been given over the years at various employers. Thinking back how many of those were coupled with anything tangible is laughable.

S

Sonikku

Mmmm there must be something wrong with me. I have never felt special - especially in a work environment. It is not of issue as I am there to do my job and as long as I love doing it, it doesn't bother me if I am called a resource. Water is a resource, as are minerals. Both are very important to the functioning of a society. What I do, thousands of others can do too. Often I teach them how. My skills are not unique and I am totally replaceable.
I haven't felt special either- However I am driven by passion to contribute to engineering and I do care about it.
Also replaceable, as my current employer clearly made it known recently.
However, this video sums up how my attitude can swing when my employer tries to screw me:

Tribs

I haven't felt special either- However I am driven by passion to contribute to engineering and I do care about it.
Also replaceable, as my current employer clearly made it known recently.
However, this video sums up how my attitude can swing when my employer tries to screw me:
That man was really abused.

satanboy

Don't let "being special" fool you.

In my one previous job, I was promoted about every 2nd year and promised the moon and stars because I stood out. My boss took advantage of me and I was forced to work 14-hour days for a long time etc. Then the company was taken over and because I wanted a better job (and got it) with the new company, my current boss stopped talking to me.
For the next 4-5 years I was told that I was so good I was on senior management's radar and once again promised all kinds of stuff. Until the day I questioned the performance appraisal system once. My boss and his turned on me in an instant.
Then after years with some other managers, I got an amazing boss who complimented me on my work weekly (and then she left). I then got another boss who complimented me again and told other managers that I was so great blah blah, but bad-mouthed me in front of the other staff in our daily meetings. She did this to all the staff.
After discussing her attitude with her and promising to stop, things just didn't change so I took early retirement.

People are shite.

Nicholas

I deluded myself at times into thinking that I was capable of performing just about any mental exercise I wanted to, despite evidence to the contrary [maths eluded me, for example] I went so far as to believe that I was more than human.
/whackadoodle
🤪

Baxteen

so much tension in this thread with that topic.

I have never wanted to be special or felt like I was the best at anything.
I was never top of the class. I was always surrounded by more talented people and I was always just trying to improve myself.
I learned long ago that what others think of me makes little to no impact, and the only thing that can make an impact is my own opinion on myself.
I had an amazing weekend. spent it with the Best Friend with Benefits. we had more sex than two people should have in the time we spent together. so much so in fact that I got a little blue pill to keep up. also did other illicid substances along with it. but that is not for this thread maybe rather the shroom thread.

S

Sonikku

Don't let "being special" fool you.

In my one previous job, I was promoted about every 2nd year and promised the moon and stars because I stood out. My boss took advantage of me and I was forced to work 14-hour days for a long time etc. Then the company was taken over and because I wanted a better job (and got it) with the new company, my current boss stopped talking to me.
For the next 4-5 years I was told that I was so good I was on senior management's radar and once again promised all kinds of stuff. Until the day I questioned the performance appraisal system once. My boss and his turned on me in an instant.
Then after years with some other managers, I got an amazing boss who complimented me on my work weekly (and then she left). I then got another boss who complimented me again and told other managers that I was so great blah blah, but bad-mouthed me in front of the other staff in our daily meetings. She did this to all the staff.
After discussing her attitude with her and promising to stop, things just didn't change so I took early retirement.

People are shite.
This. Absolutely This.
I don't give a fuck anymore. I just care about remuneration.
The nice stuff I enjoy I keep it in the family- literally. At home.
I've been through the whole "praise cycle" as I like to call it. In my line of work the praise cycle never generated any kind of promotion. In fact I've never had the experience of promotion- only raises and bonuses when the companies concerned weren't too stingy.

When I moved to Cape Town I was already in the "ignore praise" mindset. Now it's second nature. When they come with it, I simply think about other things or I find a way to get out of the situation.

My argument is- if you think I am good... flash the cash! It's that simple really. I am not your friend, I am here to make money, not friends. I have enough friends thanks. Also having friends at work, usually ends in disappointment. I want work to be a pure business transaction because work has shown me that it's nothing more than fancy slavery if you get involved with any kind of emotion. However promising me things and not giving them to me, that's when I get irritated.

Nicholas

so much tension in this thread with that topic.

I have never wanted to be special or felt like I was the best at anything.
I was never top of the class. I was always surrounded by more talented people and I was always just trying to improve myself.

Had I this attitude when I was growing up, I could have so much mental masochism from my life. I pushed myself way too hard.

I think I know my place now. Self-improvement is too much like what I used to do to myself, so I have dropped that. Somebody who helps to ruun Beatty House used to urge me to study something without going so far as to say what she thought would be right for me. I had no ideas of my own. She was incredulous when I told her that I could not wrap my head around working with databases. :LOL: Even my psychiatrist used to be under the impression that I was good at maths [I am nothing of the sort.] until I disabused him of that notion.

Nicholas

This. Absolutely This.
I don't give a fuck anymore. I just care about remuneration.
The nice stuff I enjoy I keep it in the family- literally. At home.
I've been through the whole "praise cycle" as I like to call it. In my line of work the praise cycle never generated any kind of promotion. In fact I've never had the experience of promotion- only raises and bonuses when the companies concerned weren't too stingy.

When I moved to Cape Town I was already in the "ignore praise" mindset. Now it's second nature. When they come with it, I simply think about other things or I find a way to get out of the situation.

My argument is- if you think I am good... flash the cash! It's that simple really. I am not your friend, I am here to make money, not friends. I have enough friends thanks. Also having friends at work, usually ends in disappointment. I want work to be a pure business transaction because work has shown me that it's nothing more than fancy slavery if you get involved with any kind of emotion. However promising me things and not giving them to me, that's when I get irritated.
And don't let them harp on about loyalty. You're only a resource to them, after all.

S

Sonikku

This is my current company to a tee:

In the Beginning was the plan.

And then came the assumptions.

And the assumptions were without form.

And the plan was completely without substance. And the darkness was upon the face of the workers. And they spoke among themselves saying: "It is a crock of shit, and it stinketh."

And the workers went unto their supervisors, and sayeth: "It is a pail of dung, and none can abide the odor thereof."

And the supervisors went unto their managers and sayeth unto them, "It is a container of excrement, and it is very strong, such that none can abide it."

And the managers went unto the directors and sayeth, "It is a vessel of fertilizer, and none can abide its strength," And the directors spoke amongst themselves, saying one to another: "It contains that which aids plant growth, and is very strong."

And the directors went unto the vice presidents and sayeth to them, "It promotes growth, and is very powerful."

And the vice presidents went unto the president, and sayeth unto him, "This new plan will actively promote growth and efficiency of this company, and certain areas in particular."

And the president looked upon the plan, and saw that it was good. And the plan became policy.

satanboy

/back from the doctor

I stopped counting after she inserted a needle into my side 7 times. She also injected the area with saline as the puss was so thick it kept blocking the hole(s). She offered a pain injection, but I declined. She told me I was very brave. LOL

Baxteen

that is insane. you say you have struggled with these kind of things your whole life?

satanboy

OMG the chairman of the body corporate posted in the Residents Whatsapp group, the Cape Independence Party poster urging people to vote.

What a fucking moron.

So I deleted his post and told him off.

S

Sonikku

OMG the chairman of the body corporate posted in the Residents Whatsapp group, the Cape Independence Party poster urging people to vote.

What a fucking moron.

Plenty of them about in CT right now...

Baxteen

Yes, but less and less as I've gotten older. I now get one a year.
I get a lot of ingrown hairs. everywhere. arms, chest, back face thighs.
but when I see them I take the time to dig the hair out. had one that was around for 7 months on my cheek but never got to a point where I needed to go to the doc for it.
i went for a wax this December to see if that will help. it didnt I got ingrown on the waxed area a week after the waxing. this year i am looking at lazer hair removal to see if that solves it.
the reason I bring it up is that could be the starting point of these for you, then that area gets infected after the ingrown? might be worth looking into

biometrics

What a fucking moron.

Such a pipe dream and borderline racist. It will NEVER happen so why do they go on about it.

satanboy

I get a lot of ingrown hairs. everywhere. arms, chest, back face thighs.
but when I see them I take the time to dig the hair out. had one that was around for 7 months on my cheek but never got to a point where I needed to go to the doc for it.
i went for a wax this December to see if that will help. it didnt I got ingrown on the waxed area a week after the waxing. this year i am looking at lazer hair removal to see if that solves it.
the reason I bring it up is that could be the starting point of these for you, then that area gets infected after the ingrown? might be worth looking into
I've had it on my eyelid, this was my side (ribs) - not much hair there. I am not a very hairy person, I have 3-5 chest hairs.

Baxteen

I've had it on my eyelid, this was my side (ribs) - not much hair there. I am not a very hairy person, I have 3-5 chest hairs.
that is weird. so just an infected pore that goes crazy. our bodies are so weird.