The Chat Room

Nicholas

Yesterday evening I put water in the kettle and went to sit in the lounge while I waited for it to boil. I heard a "thump" and looked up to see Beth sitting on the headrest of the chair I was in. She had been guarding the entrance hall from her tower of milk cartons, and wanted to inspect me. :p

Nicholas

I watched Rebel Moon this on Sunday and rather enjoyed it. Not difficult if you don't notice the faults YouTubers point out while eviscerating the movie.

Baxteen

So I had a resignation in my team this week.
Really sucks because he was my intermediate dev. so I cant hire another Junior, and finding an affordable resource that is skilled enough is very difficult.
so if anyone knows an intermidiate SQL/Power BI developer who is on the market send them my way please

DA-LION-619

Really sucks because he was my intermediate dev. so I cant hire another Junior, and finding an affordable resource that is skilled enough is very difficult.
so if anyone knows an intermidiate SQL/Power BI developer who is on the market send them my way please
Are you asking for a recommendation to pay someone less than they are worth?
:/

Sinbad

If you were paying him fairly you should easily find a replacement within budget.
If you can't, then you know why.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Baxteen

Are you asking for a recommendation to pay someone less than they are worth?
:/
no not at all.
I would normally hire a junior and help upskill them. but in order to do that I need at least one person that has a decent idea what they are doing.
weather we pay fair or not is not a discussion I am part of. that is handled by my boss. considering I was given a 16% increase when I moved to the company I am sure we are paying fairly.
we are not looking for a senior that can jump in and start with complex stuff immediately.
and we cant afford to hire a junior and train them all the way from nothing. so we are looking for an Intermediate.

Baxteen

If you were paying him fairly you should easily find a replacement within budget.
If you can't, then you know why.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
Reading my message again I understand the confusion.
its the skill level that we are looking for that dictates the budget we are spending. a junior is way under the budget we are working with but will not help the team to spend time training someone.
we do not need another senior in the team
so that is where the affordable part comes in. we want someone who knows how to do the basics already so we only need to get them caught up and trained on our structures and how the systems connect. so a month or 2 worth of training rather than 4 to 6 months. I cant have my team be spending half a day to help the new person be caught up for 6 months. but for 2 months that is fine. if we were 4 people who could help out like that then we could do 6 months.

Tribs

What sort of programming do they do in Powerbi? Are you talking about Dax queries or the json scripts?

satanboy

Ah that kind of value. I was more thinking in terms of skill sets.
For me it isn't what I pay them - it is what they can do for me that is the value.
Yup, that is added to market value if the individual is lucky

Nicholas

I suppose it is what they can do without instruction when you hire them. Can they be left to do the work without being guided all the time.
That's me. Some tasks don't need supervision.
Most of the time my boss speaks to me it has to do with greeting me and asking how I am doing, how my holiday went, etc.
You can do that with a set list of items to run through daily.

I was playing with a character in Bing's story generator. This one worked as a data capturer. Whatever database they used to train Bing has such work down as "boring". Not necessarily so.

Nicholas

I was surprised to find out that 42 degrees C is not an outlandishly high idling temperature for my new CPU. [i5 12400F]