The Chat Room

Baxteen

Yeah.... I had mine straight after the second child.

My financial future is kind of fucked, except they are both really intelligent (especially my son) and may get scholarships. I hope. I have investment funds specifically set up for education, I have a bunch of money that would fund high school, or university. The "or" there worries me. I'm not made out of money.

Many of those numbers are within my current monthly salary range, so for ten months I would be working for the school.

Unless I get fired, then I am fucked.
yeah I dont understand how people have kids in this time. and I am talking about this late stage capitalist hellscape where corporations exploit every single possible avenue for profit. from youTube and its ad blocking to rental agencies exploiting renters. how can you look at the state of the world and decide to bring another human into this world? that is just setting them up to be tortured.
there is not nearly enough place for children to go and play, I am not talking about our country being unsafe, I mean urban sprawl worldwide and the reliance on cars has left us living in a place where a park is a luxury, and being able to be safe while going for a bike ride in the suburb is too big of an ask because there are too many cars and too many people.

that is not even covering the flaws in the education system globally not just here.

Nicholas

A two hour flight between Cape Town and Joburg will expose you to 15 mSv. A chest xray is less than half of that.
Yup. All manner of radiation wafting in from our parent star and sources beyond our solar system. Dr Becky on YouTube recently reported on a burst of high energy particles from an intergalactic void that was a real zinger.

Sinbad

Yeah.... I had mine straight after the second child.

My financial future is kind of fucked, except they are both really intelligent (especially my son) and may get scholarships. I hope. I have investment funds specifically set up for education, I have a bunch of money that would fund high school, or university. The "or" there worries me. I'm not made out of money.

Many of those numbers are within my current monthly salary range, so for ten months I would be working for the school.

Unless I get fired, then I am fucked.
It's not unheard of for kids to fund their own tertiary education, you know.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Nicholas

Cigarettes​

The radiation in cigarettes doesn’t come from the chemical additives smokers are warned about; it actually comes from the tobacco itself. In a process similar to how bananas and Brazil nuts become radioactive, tobacco plants can absorb radioactive elements such as radium, lead-210, and polonium-210 from some fertilizers used on crops.
Also, bananas contain Potassium, which has a radioactive isotope.
It's not unheard of for kids to fund their own tertiary education, you know.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
YouTube channel income, etc. If you're good enough.

DA-LION-619

yeah I dont understand how people have kids in this time. and I am talking about this late stage capitalist hellscape where corporations exploit every single possible avenue for profit. from youTube and its ad blocking to rental agencies exploiting renters. how can you look at the state of the world and decide to bring another human into this world? that is just setting them up to be tortured.
there is not nearly enough place for children to go and play, I am not talking about our country being unsafe, I mean urban sprawl worldwide and the reliance on cars has left us living in a place where a park is a luxury, and being able to be safe while going for a bike ride in the suburb is too big of an ask because there are too many cars and too many people.

that is not even covering the flaws in the education system globally not just here.
To be fair that reasoning would apply at any time in history.
Why not have a child? World is fucked.

Baxteen

To be fair that reasoning would apply at any time in history.
Why not have a child? World is fucked.
I feel there have been slight periods of optimism about our global future.
after the end of the first world war
after the end of the cuban mistle crists.
most of the 80's save for a few times where there was a lot of scare mongering about nuclear war.
early 90's until September 2001
and those are just the times in the last 80 years where there was a more global positive sense.
there were times during the world wars where having children was seen as duty in parts of the world. and naturally after the end of any large conflict that area has a big boom in births.
the collective feeling that the world is fucked has only really become so part of the zietghiest that it impacts birth rate in the last 5 to 8 years

DA-LION-619

I feel there have been slight periods of optimism about our global future.
after the end of the first world war
after the end of the cuban mistle crists.
most of the 80's save for a few times where there was a lot of scare mongering about nuclear war.
early 90's until September 2001
and those are just the times in the last 80 years where there was a more global positive sense.
there were times during the world wars where having children was seen as duty in parts of the world. and naturally after the end of any large conflict that area has a big boom in births.
the collective feeling that the world is fucked has only really become so part of the zietghiest that it impacts birth rate in the last 5 to 8 years
If the assumption is you’d be in the position that you’re in now, but that is really unlikely.
I don’t see the ‘optimism’ when abortion is illegal in the ‘first’ world in 2024.

Baxteen

If the assumption is you’d be in the position that you’re in now, but that is really unlikely.
I don’t see the ‘optimism’ when abortion is illegal in the ‘first’ world in 2024.
Abortion is legal. it has always been legal. its just the backwaters where it is not legal.
Abortion is a human right because body autonimy is a human right. a law cannot ever take away the rights of an individual to make a choice of their own body. and it is just a matter of time until some republican state is taken to the highest court for attempting to prosecute someone for having an abortion. I know the satanic temple is thowing legal action at it already

Sonikku

I had one child only, because I felt that having a son who is reasonably smart, might contribute to changing the world tomorrow for the betterment of us all. While he has had struggles, he has not disappointed me. Not yet 14 and he taught himself the basics of OOP

Sonikku

As for the capitalist hellscape- Ever wondered why I hate Americans the way I do? Well it comes mostly from them. They're the ones teaching this shit to the rest of the world in my opinion.
They've show the world through YouTube, Microsoft, and others, how to rip people off from arsehole to breakfast and make them come back for more. As someone who is still working for them at a corporate level I will gladly tell you how American management view people and customers:

- Employees, and people in general: resources, aka slaves, means to an end. They don't care one bit about you. They will smile and wave at you while you're falling off a cliff into an abyss. They will not help. Their excuse is "its business, it's not personal". Their belief is anyone is replaceable, even though this has been proven false time and time again. They will threaten to fire you for the most trivial things. There is truth in the stories about people being fired because the CEO didn't like their face. I have been threatened once with dismissal for accidentally forgetting to do some mundane online training module. And we were kak busy at the time too. But they will rather want to let people go than let the same people finish an important project that could cost the company billions if the deadline is missed. Have you ever wondered why the Middle Eastern people want to kill Americans and blow them up. Well aside from the Yank doctrine of interfering in people's affairs, it comes down to how they treat people.

- Customers are endless bags of money, willing whores to be raped for every cent. Americans would charge you for the air that you breathe, if they could. And if it was "free air", it would be full to the brim with advertising. Corporate America has always had the hallmarks of excess, and having more bosses than employees. Today I just shook my head, as there's been yet another internal reshuffle and now the boss of the boss of my boss wants to have a Teams meeting with us. Just how many bosses do you need? More and more layers get inserted between the management and the customer than you can imagine. They've turned the medical thing in to an endless supply of cash, which they've taught to the people here so that doctors feel justified in charging R1500/consult to which Discovery says, erm, nope. Much of Discovery Health is stuff learnt from the Yanks. And in Yank-land having medical insurance is no guarantee of payment either, as so many stories are online about how people get sick, and the insurance covers like some pithy amount of 20% (even though the ads claimed otherwise)

Baxteen

I had one child only, because I felt that having a son who is reasonably smart, might contribute to changing the world tomorrow for the betterment of us all. While he has had struggles, he has not disappointed me. Not yet 14 and he taught himself the basics of OOP
that is fantastic.
you are the first person I have ever had this kind of conversation with that did not start with a selfish reason for having a child as the main reason. "taking care of me when I am old"
"so my legacy can live on after I die"

those are the reason I hear the most and I think both of those are selfish and should not be a primary reason.
I am sure it was just semantics but if you had a daughter would you have felt the same?

Baxteen

As for the capitalist hellscape- Ever wondered why I hate Americans the way I do? Well it comes mostly from them. They're the ones teaching this shit to the rest of the world in my opinion.
They've show the world through YouTube, Microsoft, and others, how to rip people off from arsehole to breakfast and make them come back for more. As someone who is still working for them at a corporate level I will gladly tell you how American management view people and customers:

- Employees, and people in general: resources, aka slaves, means to an end. They don't care one bit about you. They will smile and wave at you while you're falling off a cliff into an abyss. They will not help. Their excuse is "its business, it's not personal". Their belief is anyone is replaceable, even though this has been proven false time and time again. They will threaten to fire you for the most trivial things. There is truth in the stories about people being fired because the CEO didn't like their face. I have been threatened once with dismissal for accidentally forgetting to do some mundane online training module. And we were kak busy at the time too. But they will rather want to let people go than let the same people finish an important project that could cost the company billions if the deadline is missed. Have you ever wondered why the Middle Eastern people want to kill Americans and blow them up. Well aside from the Yank doctrine of interfering in people's affairs, it comes down to how they treat people.

- Customers are endless bags of money, willing whores to be raped for every cent. Americans would charge you for the air that you breathe, if they could. And if it was "free air", it would be full to the brim with advertising. Corporate America has always had the hallmarks of excess, and having more bosses than employees. Today I just shook my head, as there's been yet another internal reshuffle and now the boss of the boss of my boss wants to have a Teams meeting with us. Just how many bosses do you need? More and more layers get inserted between the management and the customer than you can imagine. They've turned the medical thing in to an endless supply of cash, which they've taught to the people here so that doctors feel justified in charging R1500/consult to which Discovery says, erm, nope. Much of Discovery Health is stuff learnt from the Yanks. And in Yank-land having medical insurance is no guarantee of payment either, as so many stories are online about how people get sick, and the insurance covers like some pithy amount of 20% (even though the ads claimed otherwise)
I agree it started with Americans and it did spread across the world.
but you dont need to blame the nation, its still the greedy 1% from them that made this a standard.
and it only works there because of policy chnages that Regan brought in. I am of the opinion 95% of the worlds problems are squarely on Regan's shoulders. its thanks to him that the rampant profiteering is possible. that companies can have top brass earn 3500% more than the lowest paid worker. its thanks to him that minimum wage has stagnated as much as it has.
its thanks to him that the politietians can be so easily bribed to keep laws in place to keep that system the status Que.

satanboy

I had to see the doctor this morning for a nasty boil on my ribcage. She pressed a needle into it five times to drain. I have to go back on Monday again.

I was in so much pain last night, I had almost no sleep.

biometrics

I had to see the doctor this morning for a nasty boil on my ribcage. She pressed a needle into it five times to drain. I have to go back on Monday again.

I was in so much pain last night, I had almost no sleep.
What does one get that from? Like a big pimple?

I’ve had that thing that’s like a deeper pimple but can’t be popped, has to be lanced. In fact if you try to pop it you can spread the germs to your blood stream which is dangerously.

satanboy

What does one get that from? Like a big pimple?

I’ve had that thing that’s like a deeper pimple but can’t be popped, has to be lanced. In fact if you try to pop it you can spread the germs to your blood stream which is dangerously.
No idea what causes it, I've suffered from it since 5 years old. It seems to appear when I eat very unhealthy foods for a while.

The bloodstream thing sounds fake to me. All that happens is that you spread the infection if not careful.

satanboy

Boils are usually caused by the bacteria Staphylococcus aureus (staph infection). These painful skin abscesses result from bacteria infecting a hair follicle. They commonly occur on the face, neck, armpits, buttocks, and thighs, but can appear anywhere on your body.