The Chat Room

Tribs

What do the rest of you do to keep your mind on your work. My mind is wandering towards replacing antique PC parts.
This is going to sound weird. As you know I get easily distracted. I allow myself outlets in small chunks - like rewards. I also put on music that I can sing to. If I am singing I can focus on my work. It is strange - I can create my app while singing but if I need to read a WA message or email - I have to put the music off.

Sonikku

Bunch of die-hard Nintendo fans?
Autism Spectrum Disorder.
And the fact that they don't like the way I code apparently... oh boy...
Well First National Bank will definitely beg to differ on that point.
But yeah I suspect Sonic is an issue for them too..

Nicholas

Autism Spectrum Disorder.
And the fact that they don't like the way I code apparently... oh boy...
Well First National Bank will definitely beg to differ on that point.
But yeah I suspect Sonic is an issue for them too..
ooooooh DISCRIMINATION!!!
The right way to code is the way that gets the desired result within a reasonable time without crawling with bugs, I w ould have expected.
I'm not a prograammer, though.

Sonikku

ooooooh DISCRIMINATION!!!
The right way to code is the way that gets the desired result within a reasonable time without crawling with bugs, I w ould have expected.
I'm not a prograammer, though.
Well here's the thing see.
What I did for the interview, worked, it posted the transaction.
What worries me is that they had an issue with the way I did that defer.Close()
The problem is that the way I do it, is the way I learnt from the official documentation and they say it's wrong.
So who is right and who is wrong? I am, because we had endless shit with this very thing during the FNB project.
Its fine though, there's other fish in the sea.
I think I am more bummed because I have to endure more months with this shit company I work for

Sonikku

Does "defer.Close()" have side effects?
They said I am shutting the socket on the server, but, if that was the case then I would not see the response with the TUID.
defer.Close() means defer closure to the end of the program.
I think I am going to avoid going down the road of self-doubt today as my code stands, and is making money out there.

Baxteen

So you have ADHD?
But yeah, understand your selection/interview process. It's the exception, rather than the norm but where I am a candidate now, they did the same thing so it's nice that times are changing
yeah even take Ritalin for it. it actually helps. but sometimes I still do stupid stuff like that.
and yes its an amazing interview process.

biometrics

View attachment 38898
Maybe.
Within my budget, too. :)
If you have a GPU then the 5600X is better due to having PCIe Gen 4. I think from the 3000 series Nvidia it will benefit. If you have before that then Gen 3 is fine (and the 5600G).

My 5600X came with the cooler btw, so don't think you need to add one to the 5600G.

Last edited:

biometrics

View attachment 38898
Maybe.
Within my budget, too. :)
This was my order nearly two years ago, prices have come down nicely:

1699955213173.png

I got another 2x8GB RAM earlier this year to total it to 32GB. I noticed it wasn't running at 3200MHz in Task Manager/Performance/Memory/Speed so asked Wootware and they replied as below. I'm not sure if this is relevant with one stick only though, probably. But bottom line is it doesn't run at max until enabled in the BIOS.

Sorry to hear about the problems you are experiencing. To reach the maximum rated speed of the RAM(3200Mhz in this case), you have to enable XMP/DOCP. The RAM will currently be running at the standard base speed which should be 2133Mhz, I am not sure why there is a difference between the 2 kits but it should not cause issues.

Here is a guide from Asus on how to enable XMP/DOCP - https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1042256

If you have trouble with XMP then you could look at updating the motherboard BIOS version. I noticed that the BIOS version in the image you send is a little older.

My mobo has four RAM slots so I went with splitting the sticks for dual channel.

Venomous

man I nearly fucked up bad.
well I did fuck up bad but lucky she listened to what I said instead of looking at the calendar invite!

our interview process is 2 fold.
coffee date where we get to know the candidate and talk culture and ask all the silly career questions to see if they can talk the talk and if they would fit in with the team.
if we think they will fit in we arrange a day at King Price. its a half day where the candidate spends time with the team members sees an average day and gets to ask questions to people. along with this is a skills assessment. because some people google a few key words before the coffee date and then manage to sound like they know what are talking about but then when push comes to shove they can't write a basic select statement.
so the candidate we are seeing now is due for her Day at KP tomorrow. this was discussed in email and in person, we agreed on Wednesday.

however, I am a fucking idiot with ADHD who does not pay attention and I somehow managed to send the invite for TODAY instead of tomorrows.
lucky she put in her leave for tomorrows and was ready for tomorrows and not today so when I called her she said she did see it but went with what we discussed because we told her she needs to meet the team and the team is in on Wednesdays.

so no need to panic she is coming when she is meant to. I am just dumb.

this poor chick. I set the coffee date interview time and I double booked myself.
I sent the wrong date for the day at KP.
what next i mess up her start date on documentation? (I like her and I think she will be a good fit. she just needs to show good problem solving in the test and not have big personality clashes with the team and she is in)
You were clearly being quite.... Uhm unique 🤣

Venomous

What do the rest of you do to keep your mind on your work. My mind is wandering towards replacing antique PC parts.
Uhhhh.
We think about the work?!?
😋😋

If I struggle to focus I move on to something that requires more intense focus, later I go back to the boring stuff.

However when I'm waiting for software to scan or install, or I'm waiting for HDD to clone etc and there isn't any more complex work then I start on my emails or even just read.
Nothing else I can do