The Chat Room

Nicholas

View attachment 27911
/starts contemplating getting more RAM....

I started getting memory limit errors since was trying to memory debug between two different apps, and Visual Studio decided it hates me and I had to close half the projects there, and I already moved SQL server off onto a NUC (which runs it amazingly, should have done it ages ago).

Think I'll order 2x32GB sticks the next time I hit this issue, right now I'm just busy closing stuff, but kind of need most of it. /sigh.
I quickly realised that I had too little RAM when I played around with a trial version of VUE.

mikewazar

View attachment 27911
/starts contemplating getting more RAM....

I started getting memory limit errors since was trying to memory debug between two different apps, and Visual Studio decided it hates me and I had to close half the projects there, and I already moved SQL server off onto a NUC (which runs it amazingly, should have done it ages ago).

Think I'll order 2x32GB sticks the next time I hit this issue, right now I'm just busy closing stuff, but kind of need most of it. /sigh.
sjoe what does your workstation currently have?

biometrics

Just the name seemed familiar from something that was said before...

Some shenanigans to do with Crystal Web when they were still operating.

With a dead auntie involved.
Still hanging...

Johnatan56

sjoe what does your workstation currently have?
32GB, my own.
Work I used to have 16GB, then after complaining for about 10 minutes on the Friday of my first week, sending a mail to CEO, he called the tech dude on the other side of the office within about two minutes, and I got some RAM upgrade to 32GB about 5 minutes later, and could cruise along.

They upgraded that to 64GB about a week and a bit before Covid, and upgraded all the CPU's to some 10700's from 4770's about a week and a bit after I sent them some compile benchmarks of me using my 5600X for the same workload and ended up being ~14 minutes vs 3.5 minutes saying I am doing maintenance and compiling around 20-30 times a day for some projects, what a waste considering the hardware is cheap compared to my cost if looked at over a year or two.

Also got them to get new screens, from 2x24" 1080p to 2x28" 1080p same time as work PC, I was arguing for 1x 1440p at least for anyone doing front-end stuff as well as need it when doing screen size adjustment work so can have console etc. open on same screen, ended up going 3 screens instead (so 2x28" + 1x24"). One colleague I talked to before that when I brought it up said he didn't think there'd be much of a difference, when I chatted to him again beginning of this year before I left, he told me he upgraded the screens at his home as well, made such a huge difference as could scale down the font size and see so much more of everything.

Issue is people get complacent/used to what they have, when I was leaving I was still arguing for the QA system to be upgraded, that was 2x Xeon 4110 (so 8C/16T 2.1GHz all-core) with I think 128GB of RAM and the SQL server one 256GB RAM, can't remember exactly and don't feel like checking, just wanted the CPU to be upgraded and the storage to be upgraded since they were 6x256GB in RAID 6, which meant we kept having to delete logs if doing Rabbit testing (as it dumps the entire thing to disk and to log if in debug) while doing the testing rather than after, which meant if forget or not paying attention, you need to start the entire performance test again.

Personally, I am just devving on my wootbook, i7 9750H, 32GB, 2x2TB Raid 1 with a crappy 1080p 75Hz screen as it was what I could get at short notice when I moved, and right now I still need to spend on furniture (waiting for IKEA to finish opening end of month and then ordering as hoping the 170 EUR delivery price comes down as new place is <400m from me as the crow flies), and still building up my rainy day fund, so will probably only get full new hardware end of next year (also planning to get a new PC).

And I threw the SQL Server and Rabbit stuff onto an intel nuc, that thing is a 10710U, so 6/12T,
1628844566308.png
On idle, SQL server uses 2.1GB, but once I start throwing stuff at it like report generation, just the cut-down data sets I am working with hit 18-20GB RAM usage, so I moved it off of my machine as it caused it to lag and slow down the normal app as well. The above way it can share resources between some services, SQL server and rabbitmq based on the min/max docker, love when they moved it straight into docker instead of forcing kubernetes etc. https://docs.docker.com/config/containers/resource_constraints/