The Chat Room

Nicholas

Is there anything I'm missing, you sound as messed up as the rest of us?
It could be that I am not as good as most other people at dealing with certain things without help. I think I have already said that I am not able to support myself, and rely on family to pay for me to be at Beatty House. Pretty much dependent on other people to get by, in other words, whereas many other forum members seem to have better social skills and work-related qualifications than I do, and are financially independent.

Abusive, alcoholic father. Teased pretty much from the get-go at school because I could not keep up with other children in physical activities [my parents took me to Port Elizabeth for psychological testing on recommendation of the school I was at - I don't know what the outcome of that was - I think I was 5 or 6 years old at the time. My family had to move town several times when my father was still alive and being transferred from one bank branch to another. The whole family was in a motor car accident in 1984 and were lucky to be found in time to be taken to hospital. That could have shaken me up somewhat. Body image issues: eating disorder from age 11 to 24, currently in remission. Came close to dying a few times and went as low as 28kg. Diagnosis of Major Depression with associated anxiety when I was 12 or 13. Made school extra hard for myself by setting unrealistically high standard and working myself to breaking point trying to meet those standards. Teachers and by this time single parent [father committed suicide when I was 14] were very concerned, but my behaviour didn't change until I had a dose of reality at university and dropped out. That I am still alive and have any sort of job at all is thanks to my family and the medical profession. After a few years of living at Beatty House [and being employed] I have mostly accepted my limitations, though I do still hold the odd pity party.

Again, some people are not as resilient as others.

Last edited:

biometrics

It could be that I am not as good as most other people at dealing with certain things without help. I think I have already said that I am not able to support myself, and rely on family to pay for me to be at Beatty House. Pretty much dependent on other people to get by, in other words, whereas many other forum members seem to have better social skills and work-related qualifications than I do, and are financially independent.

Some people are not as resilient as other.
Interesting.

You are saying it's an economic consideration.

Tribs

Just as some of us find it easier to ignore what is happening in our heads than to deal with it. I am proud of you for attending sessions all this time - and glad they are helping

biometrics

Just as some of us find it easier to ignore what is happening in our heads than to deal with it. I am proud of you for attending sessions all this time - and glad they are helping
Yeah, I could use some help myself.

Tribs

Interesting.

No Nicholas needs to be in Beaty house. He should not live alone. Assisted living keeps him safe and that is the way I like it.
Besides - when you are as introverted as he is - it is a very good thing to have people around. Even if he doesn't interact with them - they are there.

biometrics

No Nicholas needs to be in Beaty house. He should not live alone. Assisted living keeps him safe and that is the way I like it.
If it works for him then by all means. I'm just saying he's not far off from our problems.

Nicholas

Besides - when you are as introverted as he is - it is a very good thing to have people around. Even if he doesn't interact with them - they are there.
Nicholas does not earn enough to support himself, anyway. He is an introvert, and prefers not involve himself in the affairs of other people at the house, so he is alone in that respect. He feels more comfortable chatting with people at work, at his library and nearby shopping centre [some friendly cashiers and security personnel] and, of course via the web and the odd app [Patook, for example]

Nicholas

Interesting.

Emotional maturity, mental acuity and toughness, I think

My brother and sister both made something of themselves under similar circumstances, and completed tertiary education, which helps as far as earning more is concerned. [There are other ways of earning enough to be financially independent given sufficient drive, practical ideas and ambition, but I don't have that.] They earn enough to support themselves. My brother supports both me and my mother, and lives with her to ensure that she is safe. I feel that he has done very well for himself, being a chartered accountant, and having passed the SAICA board exam on his first attempt. My sister has been in the UK for at least the past decade and loves it there.

satanboy

263164669_4687910141303055_4877205655343572175_n.jpg

Nicholas

Seems like it slows to a crawl every December. I can see why you prefer to take leave this time of the year, besides family time.
I feel that family time is my only reason. I would rather be working than wondering what to do with myself, whether it would be worthwhile, overthinking overthinking, etc.

Nicholas

Seems like it slows to a crawl every December. I can see why you prefer to take leave this time of the year, besides family time.
Some people like to sneak their advertisements in when they think that most companies won't know about it. This happens when they have already picked who they have awarded the tender, but are trying to make it look as if everyone who might be interested had an opportunity to bid.

Jings

Some people like to sneak their advertisements in when they think that most companies won't know about it. This happens when they have already picked who they have awarded the tender, but are trying to make it look as if everyone who might be interested had an opportunity to bid.
Very interesting tactic. Do they get away with it most of the time?

Nicholas

Very interesting tactic. Do they get away with it most of the time?
I don't know. All I do is capture tender advertisement details and email them to the people who decide whether to bid and then compile bid documents - I have no further role in the process.

Jings

I don't know. All I do is capture tender advertisement details and email them to the people who decide whether to bid and then compile bid documents - I have no further role in the process.
What happens when you are on leave? Is there someone who temporarily supports your role?