Steers

Tribs

I am referring to Steers.
I cannot use Burger King as they stopped serving veggie burgers a few years back.
They do Jalapeno bites and mozzarella sticks - and jalapeno chips. Their sauce is to die for. The infuse it with jalapenos. But they only give you 5 slices whereas Steers gives you tons of chopped jalapenos.

I was once at a Steers and changed my order from Jalapenos to hot sauce - they got it wrong and gave me both. I have never died so happy before :ROFLMAO: It was soooo hot!!!

Textile Guy

Steers chips with bacon and cheese ................... the best.

Steak and Shake here are giving away free fries as long as you drive thru.... they are crap, not even worth getting for free. :(

Textile Guy

Its 10 to five here, and someone ...... me ............ is sardinely getting tres hangry .......

Time to knock off and go find a chow :)

sand_man

Only the basics on the menu - syrup, dips and one with a flake.
Yeah. No stores are allowed to run with full staff compliments. We have a reduced menu to help us cope.

The smaller teams are 1. to make social distancing more likely and possible and 2. If someone on a team gets covid, that team gets replaced by the unaffected team. The theory is neither team ever works together and their shifts never over lap.

Jings

Yeah. No stores are allowed to run with full staff compliments. We have a reduced menu to help us cope.

The smaller teams are 1. to make social distancing more likely and possible and 2. If someone on a team gets covid, that team gets replaced by the unaffected team. The theory is neither team ever works together and their shifts never over lap.
I get it, and it's not only Steers. A number of restaurants and takeaways have downsized their menus. Some are even finding ways to attract more consumers without increasing risk. Bugerack here in Alberton does free deliveries and has movie night where customers can watch from their cars like a drive-in.

SauRoN

I thought it was the merchant. In my valley Spar and Woolies are R500, Mica is R150.

Not impossible that the merchant has their own limit in place, but there is definitely one imposed from the bank side first and foremost.

Sent from my iPhone

RonSwanson

Went to Steers this morning, ordered a King Steer Bacon burger with chips and a buddy coke. Popped the straw, one of these cardboard ones and slipped it into my coke. The coke bubbled over violently and jetted out of the straw. I jumped out of my chair, whipped the straw out of the coke, and it settled down, minus 25% of its contents, some on the sleeve of my clean shirt. The fsckr flipping the patties laughed loudly at my reaction, and another woman brought me some serviettes and started mopping the floor. WTF do they put in Steers' cardboard straws -- Mentos?

Last edited:

sand_man

Brought this up with head office years ago when they introduced this malakies.... Even made a video for them... All amounted to naught...

And the irony is you given a cardboard straw to drink your soda that comes in a 440ml plastic bottle!! It's all a load of BS! Tokenism. Human race isn't interested in protecting the earth, only itself...

Last edited:

Tribs

Brought this up with head office years ago when they introduced this malakies.... Even made a video for them... All amounted to naught...

Not sure if this is true but .....

Jings

Went to Steers this morning, ordered a King Steer Bacon burger with chips and a buddy coke. Popped the straw, one of these cardboard ones and slipped it into my coke. The coke bubbled over violently and jetted out of the straw. I jumped out of my chair, whipped the straw out of the coke, and it settled down, minus 25% of its contents, some on the sleeve of my clean shirt. The fsckr flipping the patties laughed loudly at my reaction, and another woman brought me some serviettes and started mopping the floor. WTF do they put in Steers' cardboard straws -- Mentos?

You need to start sucking as you're lowering the straw into the cup. But yes, they secretly line the straws with mentos so people can get a good laugh.

Papa Smurf

@sand_man
Do the Steers franchises get all their food ingredients from same suppliers in South Africa or can each franchise choose where to buy from?
Im puzzled how one steers burger can taste totally different to another in a different town

sand_man

@sand_man
Do the Steers franchises get all their food ingredients from same suppliers in South Africa or can each franchise choose where to buy from?
Im puzzled how one steers burger can taste totally different to another in a different town
The vast majority of ingredients are sourced from a central kitchen. Sauces, packaging, all meat products, rolls are from head office, without exception.

Fruit and veg can be independently sourced but the product must adhere to specific standards.

Coldrinks from ABI.

There a number of variables at play that affect the quality of the end product. Our patties are not cooked on order. They precooked and held in a bainmarie. The longer they sit in the bainmarie the further the quality deteriorates. It's not massive degradation and for most it would be barely noticeable... unless that patty has sat there for 2 hours or longer. That'll you'll notice.

If correct grilling procedures are not followed, this too will affect the end product! Stock arrives frozen and needs to be correctly defrosted before cooking. 48 hours in the coldroom for example...

In fact, if we look at all the elements that make up a burger, it's pretty easy to stuff it up. Rule of thump though, avoid quiet stores, avoid them after they've just opened (good chance you'll get a patty precooked the night before, even though it's mandatory to destroy left overs at the end of the day), request a freshly grilled patty, tell them you prepared to wait...

RonSwanson

The vast majority of ingredients are sourced from a central kitchen. Sauces, packaging, all meat products, rolls are from head office, without exception.

Fruit and veg can be independently sourced but the product must adhere to specific standards.

Coldrinks from ABI.

There a number of variables at play that affect the quality of the end product. Our patties are not cooked on order. They precooked and held in a bainmarie. The longer they sit in the bainmarie the further the quality deteriorates. It's not massive degradation and for most it would be barely noticeable... unless that patty has sat there for 2 hours or longer. That'll you'll notice.

If correct grilling procedures are not followed, this too will affect the end product! Stock arrives frozen and needs to be correctly defrosted before cooking. 48 hours in the coldroom for example...

In fact, if we look at all the elements that make up a burger, it's pretty easy to stuff it up. Rule of thump though, avoid quiet stores, avoid them after they've just opened (good chance you'll get a patty precooked the night before, even though it's mandatory to destroy left overs at the end of the day), request a freshly grilled patty, tell them you prepared to wait...
And the cardboard straws, who makes those? Have you guys received any complaints?

Jings

Not sure who makes them. We got complaints daily, to the point where now we often don't even issue straws! It's a ridiculous situation!
People would at least have a choice if reusable plastic straws were for sale, otherwise it's kind of like getting Chinese takeaway without any chopsticks.