Steers

biometrics

@sand_man you have a Steers franchise iirc, correct? How are you dealing with hygiene/C19? Masks, gloves? How often do you sanitise surfaces etc? Do you check your customers temperature? Do you insist they wear masks?

sand_man

@sand_man you have a Steers franchise iirc, correct? How are you dealing with hygiene/C19? Masks, gloves? How often do you sanitise surfaces etc? Do you check your customers temperature? Do you insist they wear masks?
Yeah, it's a pain in the ass! Tough keeping my staff compliant, let alone customers.

Gloves we don't use and never will. They actually considered a health risk. It's an on again/off again relationship with gloves but I've never encouraged wearing of gloves in the store even when head office has insisted on it. If you pick your nose with a glove on, what difference does it make?

Rather encourage regular hand washing, for which we have a buzzer that goes off every 20 minutes. There's wall mounted hand sanitizer dispensers located at strategic points in the kitchen. One dispenses water-less hand sanitizer.

The work surfaces are wiped down regularly, every 30 minutes. We use a hand surface ammoniated cleaning detergent.

Floors and walls are mopped regularly with cold water and domestos (heavily diluted).

All staff have to wear masks and front liners wear masks as well as face shields plus we have perspex shields in front of all point of sales. Staff temps are taken as they arrive and recorded and filed.

We have a no mask no entry policy so customers can choose. Hand sanitizer at the door, the foot operated unit, plus customers temps are taken and they asked 3 questions, 1.) Do you have any symptoms related to COVID 2.) Have you visited high a risk country 3.) Have you been in contact with anyone with has COVID. I doubt we follow protocol, to the letter of law, re the above.

We fortunate in the sense that pre COVID our drive thru accounted for 65-70% of total turnover, now it's closer to 80% with 10% deliveries and next to nothing in sit down or over the counter trade. We discourage anything in store but take orders and screen customers should they choose to use in store. Drive thru is the ultimate social distancing mechanism and has worked brilliantly throughout this period, while offering staff and customers a fair degree of protection.

Our staff are on a 7 day on/7 day off roster, so half the team works open/close for a week and the following week the other half works open/close for a week. At the close of shift, at the end of the week the store is deep cleaned and disinfectant foggers are used.

There's a whole lot more regarding COVID compliance officers, procedures if tests positive, if they symptomatic etc etc, B638 health and hygiene program!! Man, it's totally nuts the protocols we meant to be following! I'm happy if we do 80% of it... Remember even pre COVID the restaurants are heavily regulated re health and hygiene. COVID has added another layer!! HECTIC!!

biometrics

Yeah, it's a pain in the ass! Tough keeping my staff compliant, let alone customers.

Gloves we don't use and never will. They actually considered a health risk. It's an on again/off again relationship with gloves but I've never encouraged wearing of gloves in the store even when head office has insisted on it. If you pick your nose with a glove on, what difference does it make?

Rather encourage regular hand washing, for which we have a buzzer that goes off every 20 minutes. There's wall mounted hand sanitizer dispensers located at strategic points in the kitchen. One dispenses water-less hand sanitizer.

The work surfaces are wiped down regularly, every 30 minutes. We use a hand surface ammoniated cleaning detergent.

Floors and walls are mopped regularly with cold water and domestos (heavily diluted).

All staff have to wear masks and front liners wear masks as well as face shields plus we have perspex shields in front of all point of sales. Staff temps are taken as they arrive and recorded and filed.

We have a no mask no entry policy so customers can choose. Hand sanitizer at the door, the foot operated unit, plus customers temps are taken and they asked 3 questions, 1.) Do you have any symptoms related to COVID 2.) Have you visited high a risk country 3.) Have you been in contact with anyone with has COVID. I doubt we follow protocol, to the letter of law, re the above.

We fortunate in the sense that pre COVID our drive thru accounted for 65-70% of total turnover, now it's closer to 80% with 10% deliveries and next to nothing in sit down or over the counter trade. We discourage anything in store but take orders and screen customers should they choose to use in store. Drive thru is the ultimate social distancing mechanism and has worked brilliantly throughout this period, while offering staff and customers a fair degree of protection.

Our staff are on a 7 day on/7 day off roster, so half the team works open/close for a week and the following week the other half works open/close for a week. At the close of shift, at the end of the week the store is deep cleaned and disinfectant foggers are used.

There's a whole lot more regarding COVID compliance officers, procedures if tests positive, if they symptomatic etc etc, B638 health and hygiene program!! Man, it's totally nuts the protocols we meant to be following! I'm happy if we do 80% of it... Remember even pre COVID the restaurants are heavily regulated re health and hygiene. COVID has added another layer!! HECTIC!!
Awesome feedback, thanks. How about contactless payment like Snapscan and Zapper?

sand_man

Awesome feedback, thanks. How about contactless payment like Snapscan and Zapper?
We don't support either at store level. We do have tap to pay though and are still accepting cash (reluctantly mind you) but pre COVID credit cards account for 57% of payments. Now we taking around 53% in cards, which is surprising. I would have expected customers to be spending more on their cards than cash.

Need to inquire with our credit card facilitator about Snapscan and Zapper support. Problem historically has been integration with our POS. All our systems are integrated with our POS, whether it be voucher systems, credit card facilities, Snapscan, Zapper... it all has to talk to Micros POS software...

sand_man

Do you need to enter a PIN or is there a limit at which it's required?
Usually set by the customer and their bank. We don't have control over that. We don't have floor limits as every transaction needs to pass authorization regardless, so the customer chooses whether they want transactions to be accompanied with a pin entry or no...

sand_man

Thing with the drive thru, we work on a minute 10 seconds per customer so we've historically always encouraged whichever payment method is quickest. Credit card transactions take time to process. Cash is king. Multiple payment options tends to slow things down and when a particular service goes offline or isn't functioning optimally, that completely stuffs up our Q management.

satanboy

You can't even order an egg on a burger at Steers for the past 2 years.

Sorry Sandman, but Steers sucks. I've been boycotting them for over a year now (due to various reasons).

sand_man

You can't even order an egg on a burger at Steers for the past 2 years.

Sorry Sandman, but Steers sucks. I've been boycotting them for over a year now (due to various reasons).
I recently donated 360 eggs to staff. Was one of the stock items that I had just ordered before we went into lock down. Then, we re-opened the store with a limited menu. Nothing with egg. They had to go....

But stores that carry stock should serve you one on your burger. No reason not to. However, not all stores offer the full menu. There a number of variations depending on site, demographics, halaal etc so not all stores would stock eggs...

GreGorGy

A while back, at the other side, you mentioned the transition from grills used at Steers - for me, that was the moment the flavour changed and burgers began to suck. I can honestly say I have not had a burger from anywhere in over a year. And that's said - because Steers burgers used to be the best by fucken miles.

Reactions: Y2K

biometrics

A while back, at the other side, you mentioned the transition from grills used at Steers - for me, that was the moment the flavour changed and burgers began to suck. I can honestly say I have not had a burger from anywhere in over a year. And that's said - because Steers burgers used to be the best by fucken miles.
I'm going to make and move this to a Steers thread, this is interesting...

GreGorGy

I'm going to make and move this to a Steers thread, this is interesting...

Cool. @sand_man mentioned it elsewhere and I remember it because a friend from way back (early 90s) married a guy who owns a few Steers franchises. They go all over on cruises and shit for being among the best. And he was quite bullish on the move from hot rocks or flamed grills or whatever the fuck it was to whatever it is now. And I felt it was a bad move. And soon after that, a discussion took place where he spoke about that transition.

LD50

well I am dumstruck
Cool. @sand_man mentioned it elsewhere and I remember it because a friend from way back (early 90s) married a guy who owns a few Steers franchises. They go all over on cruises and shit for being among the best. And he was quite bullish on the move from hot rocks or flamed grills or whatever the fuck it was to whatever it is now. And I felt it was a bad move. And soon after that, a discussion took place where he spoke about that transition.
How the fuck do you people take notice of these things. Steers was always Steers to me.