Steers

Papa Smurf

Interesting, my local Steers at works does not have sanitizer when you walk in, no one checks your temp and there are no shields at the counters either. It looks like just a normal day except everyone wears masks and no sit ins allowed (this was just over a month ago, might of changed since then)

bigAl-sa

Usually set by the customer and their bank. We don't have control over that. We don't have floor limits as every transaction needs to pass authorization regardless, so the customer chooses whether they want transactions to be accompanied with a pin entry or no...
I thought it was the merchant. In my valley Spar and Woolies are R500, Mica is R150.

sand_man

I thought it was the merchant. In my valley Spar and Woolies are R500, Mica is R150.
Could be. With our current credit card facilitator there is no option for us to set floor limits. But then we must differentiate between a pin prompt based on a store enforced floor limit and a pin prompt based on a customers CC security settings...

sand_man

Interesting, my local Steers at works does not have sanitizer when you walk in, no one checks your temp and there are no shields at the counters either. It looks like just a normal day except everyone wears masks and no sit ins allowed (this was just over a month ago, might of changed since then)
Yeah, would be interesting to see how it looks now. It took HO time to roll out all the extra merchandise but it's mandatory afaik...

sand_man

A while back, at the other side, you mentioned the transition from grills used at Steers - for me, that was the moment the flavour changed and burgers began to suck. I can honestly say I have not had a burger from anywhere in over a year. And that's said - because Steers burgers used to be the best by fucken miles.
Yip, 10000000000%!!!! We fundamentally changed the taste profile of our product by removing volcanic rock from our grillers. The move made sense on just about every metric except one!! The character of the end product was GONE!!

Volcanic rock carried what essentially has become a rather mediocre beef patty.

Our beef patty has become more synthetic and processed over the years. That's the sad truth. Volcanic rock could mask those inferiorities to some extent. Nowadays we rely heavily on sauces and marinades. It's a shame... but I'm being brutally honest with you guys.

Our patty used to be world class. No more!! When Steers opened one of their first branches abroad, not sure if it was Greece or UK, they received numerous complaints about the beef patty being too rich and they actually had to reduce the ground beef content to suit the palettes of the market they were catering to, who were not used to such a product!! I kid you not!!

LD50

Very interesting. Wish I could sample a burger from before and after these changes. For the life of me I can't recall a different taste. Must be, it's clearly been stated here.

Spizz

I should also add I'm a huge fast food burger fan. Can't really be doing with the "craft" burgers that you have to east with a knife and fork. And Steers is probably my favourite of them all along with Burger King.

Spizz

Very interesting. Wish I could sample a burger from before and after these changes. For the life of me I can't recall a different taste. Must be, it's clearly been stated here.

Me neither. Obviously the patty has a lot to do with it, but we all pick a burger from a fast food joint based on the stuff also inside the bun. Sauce, cheese, bacon etc, and that's a big part of the flavour.

LD50

I should also add I'm a huge fast food burger fan. Can't really be doing with the "craft" burgers that you have to east with a knife and fork. And Steers is probably my favourite of them all along with Burger King.
Ditto

LD50

Me neither. Obviously the patty has a lot to do with it, but we all pick a burger from a fast food joint based on the stuff also inside the bun. Sauce, cheese, bacon etc, and that's a big part of the flavour.
Exactly. There's that bacon:love: again!!

LD50

On a side, I've always wondered what the investment difference is between a KFC and something like a Steers or god forbid a Debonairs. Also the difference in running cost and franchise fees and whatnot . I'm imagining much higher in both cases for a KFC franchise.

GreGorGy

Yip, 10000000000%!!!!

Is that one huuuuuuuundred percent or just 10 billion %?
I hope the former.

I had this memory it was volcanic rock but since I don't know what that is, I figured I would go with hot rocks. Good to know my memory is still great.

Our patty used to be world class. No more!! When Steers opened one of their first branches abroad, not sure if it was Greece or UK, they received numerous complaints about the beef patty being too rich and they actually had to reduce the ground beef content to suit the palettes of the market they were catering to, who were not used to such a product!! I kid you not!!

Must be UK - they're notorious for tasteless food.