Rename network device

Prom

@Lara Look, what you're seeing is basically a device description. The complete details how Windows comes up with this is still a mystery as it's not open source.

I have two monitors it identifies as Generic PnP Monitor but in the screen settings one correctly identifies as AL1917 while the other says Display device on: HDMI. My Realtek ethernet and Edimax wireless adapter identifies correctly but my E5577 simply says Mobile Wi-Fi under network. Somewhere along the line through the switch to the B525 some info is getting corrupted. Hard to say if it's an actual string of characters getting reported or just a miscommunication. You can look through the router settings to see if there's anything you can change but I doubt that's the actual issue.

• Haha
Reactions: Y2K

Prom

What wireless routers? These shitty consumer Huawei routers just have a terrible UI, they bury the settings in the worst places.
Or it's just simply not there. How will changing the hostname make a difference to the device description under network devices anyway? If it does by some accident it's not solving the real issue.

Y2K

Or it's just simply not there. How will changing the hostname make a difference to the device description under network devices anyway? If it does by some accident it's not solving the real issue.
Where does network devices get the name from? How does it bind the correct name to the IP address? Please enlighten me.

Lara

If you check under advanced>sharing>Samba... what do you see? Samba sharing enabled? And under DLNA?
Sharing is disabled on the router. :)

ps. The Miracle Box did not work because I do not have the box. I'm not going to spend $ to change the name.
I tried to import the *.bin file with the router update facility which also failed. I believe it is due to me attempting to install an older version of the firmware. ;)

Y2K

@Lara Open command prompt and enter nbtstat -n

Take a screenshot of what you see next to the ip address of your router.

Y2K

@Lara Look, what you're seeing is basically a device description. The complete details how Windows comes up with this is still a mystery as it's not open source.

I have two monitors it identifies as Generic PnP Monitor but in the screen settings one correctly identifies as AL1917 while the other says Display device on: HDMI. My Realtek ethernet and Edimax wireless adapter identifies correctly but my E5577 simply says Mobile Wi-Fi under network. Somewhere along the line through the switch to the B525 some info is getting corrupted. Hard to say if it's an actual string of characters getting reported or just a miscommunication. You can look through the router settings to see if there's anything you can change but I doubt that's the actual issue.
"Basically" "almost" you don't seem very sure.

Lara

It displays the name in Mandarin when I connect via Wi-Fi too. :(

scudsucker

I know precisely nothing about this, but have you tried to translate the Chinese?

If it is completely nonsensical it could be random text encoding errors rather than a hard-coded Chinese name in an update.

Prom

Where does network devices get the name from? How does it bind the correct name to the IP address? Please enlighten me.
Exactly. How does it get the name? How does it get the name for a monitor when no name is communicated? How does it get Mobile Wi-Fi? That sounds generic to me.

Prom

It displays the name in Mandarin when I connect via Wi-Fi too. :(
Ok now we're getting somewhere. The problem isn't with the switch. Have you taken a look what the SSID says? What does the network icon in the bottom right say?

I know precisely nothing about this, but have you tried to translate the Chinese?

If it is completely nonsensical it could be random text encoding errors rather than a hard-coded Chinese name in an update.
The most sensible thing yet. I suspect it's not actually real Chinese in which case it's probably just a communication error. Of course can be wrong but will have to check first to know.

Lara

It translates properly. :)

Translate.jpg

Lara

Ok now we're getting somewhere. The problem isn't with the switch. Have you taken a look what the SSID says? What does the network icon in the bottom right say?

The most sensible thing yet. I suspect it's not actually real Chinese in which case it's probably just a communication error. Of course can be wrong but will have to check first to know.
My SSID displays correctly. It is a setting that I'm able to define. :)