Recent tech purchases

biometrics

Loving this Asus wifi mesh. Sitting at a nearby restaurant with 50Mbps. Lol. Worth every cent.

biometrics

Finally pulled the trigger on an iPhone 13, Watch 7 and Pencil 2.

Last edited:

Spizz

The one without extra names, just iPhone 13. No contract, I already have FNB and Vodacom sims (need VC for the eSIM and OneNumber).
AFAIK you can’t get an eSim on the phone from Vodacom. The watch yes but only a physical sim from Voda?

What will you use the pencil with?

biometrics

AFAIK you can’t get an eSim on the phone from Vodacom. The watch yes but only a physical sim from Voda?

What will you use the pencil with?
Mmm, was hoping to set up VC on the eSIM on both the Watch and iPhone. Currently I have it on the eSIM on the Watch and a physical sim in the iPhone. That iPhone is only used to manage the Watch. But now I'll be ditching my Android phone and use the new iPhone for my main phone. My main number is with FNB so wanted to use the eSIM for the VC number. Not a big deal, don't really need it. I assume I can manage the Watch from the iPhone with a different SIM as to what is loaded on the Watch.

I want to draw, so decided to get the pencil and see what I can do. I was accepted for Art as a subject back in high school as a 7th subject but then didn't do it as it was after school. So supposedly I have some art skills. We'll see... Pencil 2 works with the iPad Mini 6.

Spizz

Mmm, was hoping to set up VC on the eSIM on both the Watch and iPhone. Currently I have it on the eSIM on the Watch and a physical sim in the iPhone. That iPhone is only used to manage the Watch. But now I'll be ditching my Android phone and use the new iPhone for my main phone. My main number is with FNB so wanted to use the eSIM for the VC number. Not a big deal, don't really need it. I assume I can manage the Watch from the iPhone with a different SIM as to what is loaded on the Watch.

I don't think you need a Vodacom sim in the phone but I could be wrong. I also have one number and the sim on the watch has a different phone number to your normal number, so it is obviously just forwarded.

I want to draw, so decided to get the pencil and see what I can do. I was accepted for Art as a subject back in high school as a 7th subject but then didn't do it as it was after school. So supposedly I have some art skills. We'll see... Pencil 2 works with the iPad Mini 6.

Sounds good.

biometrics

The higher resolution of the iPad Mini 6 is such a treat for my old eyes. I think the new iPhone 13 and Watch 7 is going to be great.

Nicholas

If I did get anything, I think it would be a larger internal hard drive - or perhaps a 3 or 4Tb external drive. [currently have a 128Gb SSD for OS and a 1Tb HDD for everything else]

Dave

I bought one of these Anker MagSafe battery packs, it's a nice small size and can attach and charge both the iPhone and MagSafe compatible AirPods Pro. Being USB-C almost means I can charge my iPhone using a usb-c cable in an emergency.

1668430693566.png

Spizz

I bought one of these Anker MagSafe battery packs, it's a nice small size and can attach and charge both the iPhone and MagSafe compatible AirPods Pro. Being USB-C almost means I can charge my iPhone using a usb-c cable in an emergency.

View attachment 34722

That's pretty sweet. My daughter got the official Apple battery pack for her 12 mini and it was twice the price.

As always, I have people coming from UK who can bring me stuff from Amazon but I always see something I'd like after they arrive :p

Edit: Just did a search and iStore have it for R999 so same price really, and Takealot for R1399. Might just blow some eBucks on that.

Johnatan56

Dirigera from IKEA, smart hub, right now only Zigbee works, works with the two IKEA bulbs I got a bit over a month ago, and the hub has Matter support, so will support other devices (others like Hue already work), 60 EUR.
1669051954833.png

Not very large, looks more inconspicuous than the gigantic ISP Modem (well router, but put in bridge mode, it's a PoS) and router. Right now needs Ethernet. Set-up was quick and easy, just needed to make sure to use my European/Austrian playstore account to download the app since region locked, took a few seconds, it updated the firmware which was pretty clear to see with the light on it making a circle and once full it was done.

Adding a light was a little more complex in terms of it requires 5 times on/off, but the video in the app actually guides it with the 2s gaps, managed second time no problem. No issue picking up the light.

Its integration with Google Home is also quick and easy, just verify e-mail took a second try, need to start it from the IKEA app, not the Google Home app side. Lots of light color choices, can have 3 per light, a bit annoyed I can't pick a hex code, have to select from their list of colors. The toggle for brighter/darker is nice.

1669052264084.png1669052272121.png
Like the on/off animation as well, if color behind the light, it's off. Would have liked the picture to change to an on light, but probably not done since background color might make it not work correctly/be a lot of effort to get it right.

Not sure if counts as tech, but getting a steamer as well:
Just want it for jackets, too big and heavy to air out nicely without having it outside, and not going to work in apartment. This is supposedly the best under 60 EUR, and the step up to 60-70 EUR is not really worth.

Johnatan56

And bought:

Again, will now have the same monitor twice, replacing my left (also) IPS one, it's 100 EUR less than it was in March, so consider it a special.
Yes, no stock, Amazon has a policy if temporarily out of stock, it must be shipped within 30 days.

The quantom dot marketing thing, the colors are noticeably better than my ~260 EUR IPS panel that it is replacing, things like skin color are noticeably better. It's not HDR, HDR ready is nonsense.

satanboy

Last edited:

Rudolph Hart

View attachment 35301

I’ve got the River Pro, and it’s been great during the extended load shedding.

I’ve been using an old deep cycle battery as extra storage (I haven’t really needed extra storage yet, just connected it to test how it works). You can’t charge too fast on 12V, but it’s enough to keep it going for the loads that I’m putting on it.