LPW #10: Last Post Wins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnatan56

Pi Mod hasn't been relevant as a CPU test in near 15 years. :p

Here's my one on a laptop, but I'm running multiple screens, and there are quite a few apps that will keep interrupting CPU, averaging about 20-25% normal usage at about 3.36G-3.6Hz.

1602774603483.png
It's all a game of cache though:
1602774630229.png
Your CPU:
1602774733947.png
My i7 9750H:
1602774756324.png
Notice the L3 cache size, so my CPU goes to main memory later.
And then it's a test of how fast is a single core (yours is probably faster, mine is a laptop).

The reason I say it isn't that releveant is that the app is still 32bit, so it's not using the full instruction size.

You can use something like Passmark, but Intel is controlling of that, they assign higher scores for AVX 512 workloads when that makes no sense, etc. so Prime 95 is usually the "classic": https://www.mersenne.org/download/ and Furmark for GPU.

I usually use them when I get a new system to see if my voltage is stable and usually once a year or so I run both to check how the PSU is doing.

Nicholas

I wouldn't upgrade right now, at most the GPU. Wait for the prices to drop a bit next year as AMD added a premium now, and see if it goes on sale next year as the single threaded performance of the new gen has increased the performance quite a bit, first major jump in years.
I'm surprised that you would mention the GPU. Reasons?
I may well hold off on upgrading until my CPU/RAM/motherboard expires or my PC cannot run what I want it to run smoothly any more.

Nicholas

add a ssd and a x570 motherboard

add a ssd and a x570 motherboard
Hi. I do have a modest [120Gb] for Windows. My documents and most of my software are on a 1Tb HDD.
Why spend a greater portion of whatever it is I budget for an upgrade [say R8000-odd] on a high-end motherboard? I don't see the need.
What advantage will having more PCI-Express 4 lanes give me, and is it worth the premium? Remember that I'd be most likely to go with a Ryzen 3 processor.

BloodrayneZA

Hi. I do have a modest [120Gb] for Windows. My documents and most of my software are on a 1Tb HDD.
Why spend a greater portion of whatever it is I budget for an upgrade [say R8000-odd] on a high-end motherboard? I don't see the need.
What advantage will having more PCI-Express 4 lanes give me, and is it worth the premium? Remember that I'd be most likely to go with a Ryzen 3 processor.
You and I think alike. I do not need the extra PCI-E slots - all I want is something relatively simple and just plug in a GPU into an PCI-E x16.

Status
Not open for further replies.