Home Brewing

R

[)roi(]

Update of Ciders - They're ready for bottling
I did a taste test this afternoon to check on the readiness to bottle the two sets of ciders I am currently brewing. Both are IMO ready for bottling; so I also did a quick tasting session to determine the amount of back-sweetening that would be needed on top of the priming sugar.
  • The 60l of Bitter Orange (primary juice), Tangerine, Cranberry, Apple & Grape
    • After stirring all 3 x 20l fermenters I determined they all have the same gravity of 1.020 (unlike yesterday's anomaly); with a SG of 1.055; they are currently 4.6% ABV.
    • They're all little tart i.e. lacking a more rounded flavour profile; I back sweetened using my 300ml test jug to a gravity of 1.040; which has turned it into a very quaffable cider (mmmh delicious). For gauging the back-sweetness I added was a little less than a teaspoon in 150ml.
    • To maintain that level of back-sweetening I'll be adding priming sugar for carbonation on top of that; roughy 1 teaspoon per quart (750ml).
    • This should be a 6% demi sec cider after the carbonation.
  • The 20l of Liquifruit clear apple cider
    • Current gravity is 1.030; SG of 1.080 and its current ABV of 6.5%
    • The flavour is slightly tart but in a good way; similar to a brut french cider. Decided it needs no back-sweetening.
    • I'll only be adding the priming sugar for carbonation; roughy 1 teaspoon per quart (750ml).
    • This should be an 8% brut cider after the carbonation.
I prepared all the bottles I would need last night; combination of hand washing and hot steam washing in dish washer; around 110 bottles ready to go. I'll start just after dinner tonight with the bottling. Planning to do the first carbonation taste test on Wednesday; if ready I'll pasteurise on Thursday evening. Ready for this weekend's taste session with a few friends.

The Hefeweizen will stay in the fermenter until +- Wednesday / Thursday. Similarly the Kvass still has more fermenting to do.

Last edited by a moderator:

Papa Smurf

Is it that sweet?
no not at all
just getting tired of cider taste
i want beer taste
and this last batch i made has no sweetness at all, zero
tastes kak but gets me fucked
i add a tot or 2 roses passionfruit cordial to it just to give it some taste
my fault for letting it ferment too long, the yeast chowed all the sugars. hence the bitterness

bigAl-sa

im done with pineapple beer
tired of this taste
picking up my 6 tins of fresh Coopers in 48hrs and start brewing nice stuff again
Did you buy any grain?

I still think you should try a partial mash instead of sugar.

Papa Smurf

Did you buy any grain?

I still think you should try a partial mash instead of sugar.
no i didnt as i was planning on buying when i walk into the shop on Wednesday as i wanted their advice which grain and which yeast to buy for a small 5 or 10 litre experiment, as well as a brewers bag and maybe some hops and tell me when to add them. But now i see the website is down on purpose as they are trying to get through a weeks backlog orders and they say i cannot buy when i walk in, only collect.
im hoping i can pursuade them to quickly sell me a coupla kilos and i can be on my way, lets see

i have watched loads of youtube tutorials in the last week and i think BIAB is the way to go for me, the 1st step to making proper beers etc

bigAl-sa

no i didnt as i was planning on buying when i walk into the shop on Wednesday as i wanted their advice which grain and which yeast to buy for a small 5 or 10 litre experiment, as well as a brewers bag and maybe some hops and tell me when to add them. But now i see the website is down on purpose as they are trying to get through a weeks backlog orders and they say i cannot buy when i walk in, only collect.
im hoping i can pursuade them to quickly sell me a coupla kilos and i can be on my way, lets see

i have watched loads of youtube tutorials in the last week and i think BIAB is the way to go for me, the 1st step to making proper beers etc
Will PM you a link with some recipes.

Moosedrool

Cold crashed a 2l bottle. The more the crud and yeast settles the more this cider turns into a wine. The rest are carbonating but I find it funny how I accidentally made more wine ich thing than Cider. Apparently it's the extra sugar I added's fault. XD

R

[)roi(]

Cold crashed a 2l bottle. The more the crud and yeast settles the more this cider turns into a wine. The rest are carbonating but I find it funny how I accidentally made more wine ich thing than Cider. Apparently it's the extra sugar I added's fault. XD
Feeding the yeast is a common tactic to bump up the ABV and produce more of a wine.

biometrics

I see the advantage of making 5L cider from apple juice is you can just replace the balloon with the screw top and stick it in the fridge. No need to pour over/filter. Convenient.

satanboy

I got a pure apple juice - I guess it has to be heated to get the stabilizers out so that it can ferment ? If I understand what I have watched and read.
No!!

Just pour out one glass, add the sugar and yeast to apple juice bottle. Shake until tired. ;) Put on balloon/bubbler. No heating required.
Drink above glass.
Wait 7 days (stirring twice each day)

Tribs

No!!

Just pour out one glass, add the sugar and yeast to apple juice bottle. Shake until tired. ;) Put on balloon/bubbler. No heating required.
Drink above glass.
Wait 7 days (stirring twice each day)
Thank you. Will do that today.