Home Brewing

Snyper564

Hey guys another quick question. So the urn I managed to get is 20l but will be doing 10-12l brews in it. Its old school but works only issue is element is covered in limescale (white build up) I have boiled it with vinegar and citric but cannot remove anymore is this an issue or not?

biometrics

Papa Smurf

Hey guys another quick question. So the urn I managed to get is 20l but will be doing 10-12l brews in it. Its old school but works only issue is element is covered in limescale (white build up) I have boiled it with vinegar and citric but cannot remove anymore is this an issue or not?
shouldnt be an issue i dont think
i too inherited something similar many years ago and we used it once and the beer was fine, it was the only time i made beer with freinds from scratch, around 2013 or 2014
i guess at those temperatures any infections get destroyed anyways

Snyper564

shouldnt be an issue i dont think
i too inherited something similar many years ago and we used it once and the beer was fine, it was the only time i made beer with freinds from scratch, around 2013 or 2014
i guess at those temperatures any infections get destroyed anyways
thanks!

bigAl-sa

Hey guys another quick question. So the urn I managed to get is 20l but will be doing 10-12l brews in it. Its old school but works only issue is element is covered in limescale (white build up) I have boiled it wIIith vinegar and citric but cannot remove anymore is this an issue or not?
It's mainly Calcium Carbonate, so won't do anything to your beer (it's in the water anyway). The only problem is if you are using the urn's element, it will take a bit longer to get up to temperature. If you are using it as a big pot on a gas burner, no probs (dunno what's the geometry of your urn).

bigAl-sa

I got a pure apple juice - I guess it has to be heated to get the stabilizers out so that it can ferment ? If I understand what I have watched and read.
Stabilizer in fruit juice is normally ascorbic acid (vitamin c) which shouldn't be a problem. Preservatives are the bugger.

Snyper564

It's mainly Calcium Carbonate, so won't do anything to your beer (it's in the water anyway). The only problem is if you are using the urn's element, it will take a bit longer to get up to temperature. If you are using it as a big pot on a gas burner, no probs (dunno what's the geometry of your urn).
Thanks, the urn was from my parents, the "plot water" had issues, our town(where i stay) water is all good :) just wanted to ensure it wouldnt mess with the beer. I dont mind if it takes a bit longer to heat up. Its 3kw on 20l its a beast :p

biometrics

Made an new 10L batch of cider with apple juice, tea, dead yeast, extra sugar and baking yeast. This time using proper equipment. SG is 1.062.

Got the Campden tablets today but wasn't needed for the cider. Waiting for the Star San which is currently being processed by Aramex in NY.