Home Brewing

Papa Smurf

Made my second batch of ginger beer this morning, and that is now in the fermenter. Almost finished drinking a litre of my Lockdown Blonde and am feeling quite mellow, chops on the braai and LM radio playing tear jerker stuff in the background ;)
haha i think we listen to the same tunes
im on Magic828am and its kak music on Sundays, but im an 80s fan and always have this raio station playing 24/7 (y)
i wanna give ginger beer a go tomorrow morning, not now as i am washing all 140 black label bottles, the majority still have the stickers on and 80% have slight fungus
joys
and then i am bottling the expired Coopers this afternoon

post your award winning ginger recipe please

bigAl-sa

I am very interested to hear how your expired Coopers tastes (while you're bottling). I am going to try mine on Wed.

First ginger beer was not lekker. Recipe called for lemon which did not work at all. I will post the new recipe once I have a feeling for the taste when I test later in the week.

biometrics

haha i think we listen to the same tunes
im on Magic828am and its kak music on Sundays, but im an 80s fan and always have this raio station playing 24/7 (y)
i wanna give ginger beer a go tomorrow morning, not now as i am washing all 140 black label bottles, the majority still have the stickers on and 80% have slight fungus
joys
and then i am bottling the expired Coopers this afternoon

post your award winning ginger recipe please
I use this but add raisins, cloves and cinnamon:

biometrics

I am very interested to hear how your expired Coopers tastes (while you're bottling). I am going to try mine on Wed.

First ginger beer was not lekker. Recipe called for lemon which did not work at all. I will post the new recipe once I have a feeling for the taste when I test later in the week.
My recipe also uses lemon but I like the result.

satanboy

I agree....leave out the lemon. That citrus taste in my ginger beer is not nice.

R

[)roi(]

Update on ciders
  • The 60l of Bitter Orange (primary juice), Tangerine, Cranberry, Apple & Grape
    • 1 x 20l is fermenting slower; current gravity is 1.025; an ABV of 3.9%
    • 2 x 20l have a current gravity of 1.020; an ABV of 4.6%
    • I've decided to bottle at a gravity of 1.015; because the back sweetening / priming sugar carbonation process should raise the ABV by +- 0.5%; for a final ABV of close to 6%.
    • Bottling likely to be on Monday / Tuesday
  • The 20l of Liquifruit clear apple cider
    • Current gravity is 1.034; an ABV of 6% -- the yeast is still very visibly active; and the cider is still relatively sweet.
    • I've decided to bottle at a gravity of 1.020; because the back sweetening (undecided) / priming sugar carbonation process should raise the ABV by +- 0.5%; for a final ABV of close to 8.5%.
    • Bottling likely to be on Tuesday / Wednesday
Update on Hefeweizen:
  • The 40l of Hefeweizen (wheat malt, pilsner malt, SAB hops and WB-06 yeast)
    • Current gravity is 1.025; an ABV of 3.3%
    • I'll be bottling this at a gravity of 1.015; because the priming sugar carbonation process should get the ABV to 5.25%
    • Bottling likely to be on Wednesday / Thursday
Update of Kvass:
  • The 10l of Kvass (ciabatta bread; cinnamon, caramelised sugar and star anise)
    • Starting gravity was 1.050, current gravity is 1.030; an ABV of 2.6%
    • I'll be bottling this at a gravity of 1.015; because the priming sugar carbonation process should get the ABV to 5.25%
    • Bottling likely to be on Thursday / Friday

Papa Smurf

took a small sip out the bucket today when bottling and it tastes weird, then again im not sure what it should taste like from the fermenter

bigAl-sa

took a small sip out the bucket today when bottling and it tastes weird, then again im not sure what it should taste like from the fermenter
:unsure: shouldn't taste weird. I always taste the sample I use for taking the SG

LD50

This brew...
I wish I could measure the alc. content. I got proper hammered Fri night. I was cancelled Saturday that's for sure

biometrics

Housemate doesn't want to drink the apple beer anymore. Claims it gives her some odd symptoms (fast heart beat, numb foot). But this is the person that claimed to have a cold last week. We haven't been near other people for two months. My own fault I guess warning her to watch out for methanol blindness, lol. Now's she's convinced there is something wrong with it.

So will be making 10L ginger beer tomorrow. She's fine with that. Go figure.

R

[)roi(]

Housemate doesn't want to drink the apple beer anymore. Claims it gives her some odd symptoms (fast heart beat, numb foot). But this is the person that claimed to have a cold last week. We haven't been near other people for two months. My own fault I guess warning her to watch out for methanol blindness, lol. Now's she's convinced there is something wrong with it.

So will be making 10L ginger beer tomorrow. She's fine with that. Go figure.
Shame, all your talk of methanol has frightened her; when there's no risk of methanol poisoning with home brewed beer, cider or wine. https://www.howtohomebrewbeers.com/2018/03/methanol-brewing-risks.html?m=1

biometrics

On the positive side, it means more apple cider for you.
I'm wondering about beer vs cider.

My one recipe is basically cut up apples and water whereas the second one was using apple juice. Would you call the first one a beer and the second cider?

R

[)roi(]

I'm wondering about beer vs cider.

My one recipe is basically cut up apples and water whereas the second one was using apple juice. Would you call the first one a beer and the second cider?
Both are ciders.
Here's some more details on risks with home brews.

biometrics

Campden tablets from Brewmart has shipped. Will wait until I get them for the next brew.