Home Brewing

satanboy

I ordered a carboy bottle brush from Brewmart (seems almost impossible to find). R197.80 It arrives, doesn't fit into a 5l carboy.

Papa Smurf

you can make your own for waaaaaaaay cheaper
just use copper pipe that the aircon guys use
very easy to bend by hand
tons of YouTube videos out there showing how its done

R

[)roi(]

I ordered a carboy bottle brush from Brewmart (seems almost impossible to find). R197.80 It arrives, doesn't fit into a 5l carboy.
Recommend, you dump the carboys at some point; they're more hassle than benefit; especially if they're glass.
Food grade buckets are very cheap, and you don't need a brush.

satanboy

Recommend, you dump the carboys at some point; they're more hassle than benefit; especially if they're glass.
Food grade buckets are very cheap, and you don't need a brush.
Buckets look crap in a house.
As soon as a bucket gets a scratch there is a chance of contamination. Glass never.

R

[)roi(]

super happy with my buckets!
Exactly they're cheap, easy to retrofit with taps, etc..
I used to have glass carboys (a long time ago); but when you drop one of those it's an absolute mess and the beer can't ever be saved.
I've similarly had drop accidents with buckets and not once have I had to throw all the beer away.

satanboy

Turns out I was a dumb-ass. I looked at the brush again and tried to bend it straight. It worked! Very thick wire. Re-bent it for the curve of the bottle and it works 100%.

R

[)roi(]

Urgh i need a bottle brush just for bottle where can i buy this?
A good way I find to clean bottles with old yeast, etc. is using a coarse sand; pour some in with some water, cleans up almost everything for me. I still don't have a bottle brush.

biometrics

Nearly three weeks and the 23L Coopers can Hefe Wheat with 1.5 kg (rather than 1 kg) DME is still burping at me. It's been a chilly month or two.

R

[)roi(]

Nearly three weeks and the 23L Coopers can Hefe Wheat with 1.5 kg (rather than 1 kg) DME is still burping at me. It's been a chilly month or two.
Well done... you've successfully made a Lager Hefeweizen... whatever the case... it should be interesting. 😁

R

[)roi(]

Busy Sunday preparing for a next batch of beers:
  • Bottling washing
  • Milling grains into recipe batch bags (zip locks)
Starting tomorrow afternoon; I'm brewing another 8 batches of beers.

Currently relaxing with a tasty Dunkelweizen; hope every other brewer is equally relaxing and enjoying the fruits of their brews.
Today's an extra special treat; as I've also have whipped up a batch of pie shortening for cornish pasties for dinner.

Snyper564

Busy Sunday preparing for a next batch of beers:
  • Bottling washing
  • Milling grains into recipe batch bags (zip locks)
Starting tomorrow afternoon; I'm brewing another 8 batches of beers.

Currently relaxing with a tasty Dunkelweizen; hope every other brewer is equally relaxing and enjoying the fruits of their brews.
Today's an extra special treat; as I've also have whipped up a batch of pie shortening for cornish pasties for dinner.
Was going to brew my lefe blond today and bottle my stella. But we waiting for a fridge delivery that messes with my plans. So I decided to cold crash my stella brew i want to see how clear I can get it will bottle during the week and make the lefe during the week as well. On the upside I now have another fridge to rig for brewing :)

The boddingtons just gets better with age def making it again!

R

[)roi(]

Was going to brew my lefe blond today and bottle my stella. But we waiting for a fridge delivery that messes with my plans. So I decided to cold crash my stella brew i want to see how clear I can get it will bottle during the week and make the lefe during the week as well. On the upside I now have another fridge to rig for brewing :)
Congratulations re the new fridge.
My last Leffe Brune; should be ready for quaffing on Wednesday... 😁

Well done... certainly looked really good.

GreGorGy

I was at brewcraft yesterday - he has stock of the stout tap which really makes that body a dream. I took the crash from Friday and transferred it to the 20L keg today. If it is any good, which I suspect it will be, then I will be tapping it this coming Saturday for patrons at our event. If they like it, then the nightclub will have a beer tap some nights. I will see how it goes. There is a good chance it is so good that it doesn't see Saturday

R

[)roi(]

I was at brewcraft yesterday - he has stock of the stout tap which really makes that body a dream. I took the crash from Friday and transferred it to the 20L keg today. If it is any good, which I suspect it will be, then I will be tapping it this coming Saturday for patrons at our event. If they like it, then the nightclub will have a beer tap some nights. I will see how it goes. There is a good chance it is so good that it doesn't see Saturday
You have a nightclub? Sounds like a perfect mix with home brewing... offer something they can't get anywhere else.