Home Brewing

biometrics

Mmm... Could just be slowing down. I recommend taking an sg reading.
I can see the airlock hasn't moved, normally you can see it pushing through. Currently both sides are level. But yes, a measurement is in order. I do suspect there is something wrong with my campden tablets, only the second time I've used it, with the same result. Dead yeast.

Luckily I have a 20L hefe wheat ready for bottling.

Snyper564

I can see the airlock hasn't moved, normally you can see it pushing through. Currently both sides are level. But yes, a measurement is in order. I do suspect there is something wrong with my campden tablets, only the second time I've used it, with the same result. Dead yeast.

Why not just go bottled water or RO water it's so much work just to lose it

biometrics

Why not just go bottled water or RO water it's so much work just to lose it
Of course. Wasn't expecting this.

I have a water from air machine I bought in 2018 during the Cape Town water crisis. Time to get that out of the shed and service it...

Snyper564

@[)roi(] I wanna add maize or corn to next beer what would you suggest? Doing a Stella clone sonill be using pilsner just not sure on the corn to use in sa

Last edited:

Snyper564

Some firsts today. Busy testing the new insulated pot and immersion chiller. Decided to go big and instead of freezing ice cube I just frooze a 10l water bottle to use.

It's also my first weekday afternoon brew day. I'm comfortable enough to know when to look and leave. Looking forward to this approach.

Busy with a Stella clone so it's pretty straightforward anyway. Aiming for 22l.

Also testing the brewfridge rigged that last week with heaters etc and stc1000 Soni can do 2x20l fermenters at a time in addition to my brew box. Both temp controlled. One with heat and the other with hot and cold.

Keep you all posted

R

[)roi(]

The negative effect of campden tablets are generally boiled off in the strike water.
If it's not a low temperature issue; then it's not too difficult to fix; you can heat your wort to >70°C to evaporate anything that could be interfering with your yeast, cool down and then repitch yeast. Don't throw it away until you've tried that.

Btw if it was low temperature; try seating your fermenter in a bath of hot water to bring up the temperature to the ideal fermentation temp.

Last edited by a moderator:
R

[)roi(]

@[)roi(] I wanna add maize or corn to next beer what would you suggest? Doing a Stella clone sonill be using pilsner just not sure on the corn to use in sa
I haven't seen malted corn at any of the outlets I buy from; which is probably why I've never been that motivated enough to try brew a corn malt beer. If you're not scared off by the process of malting your own grains; the maybe try: https://www.wikihow.com/Malt-Corn

I'd imagine you can use any non cracked corn kernels are good for this; or even popcorn kernels.

Snyper564

I haven't seen malted corn at any of the outlets I buy from; which is probably why I've never been that motivated enough to try brew a corn malt beer. If you're not scared off by the process of malting your own grains; the maybe try: https://www.wikihow.com/Malt-Corn

I'd imagine you can use any non cracked corn kernels are good for this; or even popcorn kernels.
No problem I see king Korn makes a malted maize porridge but it's never available

R

[)roi(]

No problem I see king Korn makes a malted maize porridge but it's never available
Never thought of that; you may then want to try a cash and carry store like Three Star;
-- during my last visit they had a lot of that.

Snyper564

Never thought of that; you may then want to try a cash and carry store like Three Star;
-- during my last visit they had a lot of that.
Oooh they always have the malted sorghum let me have a look or try contact them. Looking forward to try something like this a a light summer beer those boddingtons will be ready Thursday!

biometrics

@Snyper564 how powerful is that pump of yours? I have a pump I bought, like so many other things, during the Cape Town 2018 water crisis. Plan was to pump water from the pool to the toilet. ;)

It's rated at 4,500 L/H.

Snyper564

@Snyper564 how powerful is that pump of yours? I have a pump I bought, like so many other things, during the Cape Town 2018 water crisis. Plan was to pump water from the pool to the toilet. ;)

It's rated at 4,500 L/H.
Mines 800 l p min but it only puts out less than 800ml a minute after going through that tube. Yours would be perfect for a wider diameter copper pipe

biometrics

Mines 800 l p min but it only puts out less than 800ml a minute after going through that tube. Yours would be perfect for a wider diameter copper pipe
Per minute or hour?

Which of these are yours similar to and what did you spend?

Snyper564

Likely the stainless steel one. My pipe is very narrow though 0.8cm and 9m in length. Likely similar to the stainless. It's a 800l per hour pump but due to the length it's only putting through 800ml less than 1l per min

biometrics

Likely the stainless steel one. My pipe is very narrow though 0.8cm and 9m in length. Likely similar to the stainless. It's a 800l per hour pump but due to the length it's only putting through 800ml less than 1l per min
Man, I need a brew room. Would love to do this but this just doesn't work in my study.