Coronavirus COVID-19 News specific to South Africa

satanboy

The government puts country on higest level of lockdown = Government doesn't care about the economy.
The government moves to lower lockdown level = Government puts the economy above lives.

people are morons.

Seldom Bucket

The government puts country on highest level of lockdown = Government doesn't care about the economy.
The government moves to lower lockdown level = Government puts the economy above lives.

People are morons.
This lockdown was a "Massive™" fuck up from the start

Tribs

It was the 9pm curfew being discussed.
Well there is really nowhere to be that late at night. You should not be visiting anyone - restaurants and movies are closed at that time - and if you are working that late, you really should get a life.

Dave

Well there is really nowhere to be that late at night. You should not be visiting anyone - restaurants and movies are closed at that time - and if you are working that late, you really should get a life.

That's not the point, it's quite a repressive regulation, if you, as an adult, want to go take photos of the moon at midnight it should be up to you to make that decision. It would have no bearing on COVID-19.

GreGorGy

and if you are working that late, you really should get a life.

When I work the club, that is till two in the morning and trust me, that is a life. Or rather was. Goddammit! That curfew has no impact on me, and that is my lament. Do you know, that since the end of March, the latest I have been home is before 7PM. How sad is that?

The_Mowgs

satanboy

1594712177304.png
Sannya Ramdheen
is
0vOMNeZrwXy.png
feeling human.

14 hrs ·
Shared with Public

I missed the presidential address last night because I was at work. But it seems a lot of people have “opinions” on why it’s so ridiculous to ban alcohol again.
Well let me tell you some FACTS from an emergency medicine practitioner.
On Saturday, I worked a 12 hour shift. In this time, my colleagues and I saw multiple trauma patients. Far too many of them were woman beaten by drunken men, including a 62 year old. I’m not talking about a smack on the face. Apart from the large bruises on their limbs, one of the women had her shoulder dislocated, another had her skull exposed and a broken leg.
Then an elderly lady was rushed in… her lifeless body slouched on a wheelchair. It was too late. She was dead from multiple stab wounds inflicted by her drunk son.
We also see patients referred to as “community assaults”. Many that day… One such patient arrived later that evening with serious injuries to his head, limbs and abdomen. Guess what! That was the guy that stabbed the elderly lady to death!!
As I was about to leave, a couple frantically ran into the ED with their screaming child. A drunk driver crashed into their house and injured this innocent child!
Oh wait, there’s more. We are an EMERGENCY DEPARTMENT. That was just some examples of the trauma caused by alcohol.
We also have really sick patients constantly flowing in with heart attacks, strokes, life threatening complications from diabetes and hypertension AND we are in the middle of a pandemic!!! COVID patients are so sick and need so much critical care. It’s nothing like we’ve seen before.
This is just 12 hours, in one ED, in one hospital. I haven’t even mentioned the non-violent injuries.
I left work that day feeling deflated and frankly disappointed with South Africans. To top that off, as I drove out, a DRUNK driver shot a red light, almost crashed into me and then tried to push me off the road! He then proceeded to crash into 2 cars ahead of me. Do I deserve to be a victim of his irresponsible behavior???
I’m tired of people complaining about restrictions. I have not seen my parents in a month because I’m out here sacrificing myself for all of YOU. I’m being responsible and won’t be a vector of infection to my family. Is it so hard for people to do the same??? Is it my responsibility only??? I know I’m a health care worker and I signed up for this, but we are humans too. We are exposed to COVID on the daily and my colleagues are getting sick. Some even dying. So we are facing staff shortages which adds to the strain of us trying to do our best for every patient. You know who else is dying from COVID? Elderly people! Because young people don’t know how to behave, go out unnecessarily and take the infection home to their families while they remain well or slightly ill.
South Africans were given time to get educated about this disease and act responsibly and even got access to alcohol again. But they’ve proven that they are a burden to the health care system. On the first day alcohol was sold again, our hospital beds filled up with alcohol related injuries and complications. We had spent months preparing those beds for COVID patients. So where should we now put sick COVID patients when the numbers are increasing so rapidly??
I know that it won’t stop violent injuries totally, but the first alcohol ban gave us palpable relief from our usual trauma burden. My colleagues and I celebrated when we heard the news last night! It makes the biggest difference to us on the front line.
People this is not POLITICS. It’s a PANDEMIC!!!Everyone needs to fight this together. I do sympathize with those that depend on income from an alcohol based industry. But to those “responsible” drinkers who can’t sacrifice alcohol for a little while…unless you can walk a day in my shoes, put your empty glass down and STFU

The_Mowgs

View attachment 4567
Sannya Ramdheen
is
0vOMNeZrwXy.png
feeling human.

14 hrs ·
Shared with Public

I missed the presidential address last night because I was at work. But it seems a lot of people have “opinions” on why it’s so ridiculous to ban alcohol again.
Well let me tell you some FACTS from an emergency medicine practitioner.
On Saturday, I worked a 12 hour shift. In this time, my colleagues and I saw multiple trauma patients. Far too many of them were woman beaten by drunken men, including a 62 year old. I’m not talking about a smack on the face. Apart from the large bruises on their limbs, one of the women had her shoulder dislocated, another had her skull exposed and a broken leg.
Then an elderly lady was rushed in… her lifeless body slouched on a wheelchair. It was too late. She was dead from multiple stab wounds inflicted by her drunk son.
We also see patients referred to as “community assaults”. Many that day… One such patient arrived later that evening with serious injuries to his head, limbs and abdomen. Guess what! That was the guy that stabbed the elderly lady to death!!
As I was about to leave, a couple frantically ran into the ED with their screaming child. A drunk driver crashed into their house and injured this innocent child!
Oh wait, there’s more. We are an EMERGENCY DEPARTMENT. That was just some examples of the trauma caused by alcohol.
We also have really sick patients constantly flowing in with heart attacks, strokes, life threatening complications from diabetes and hypertension AND we are in the middle of a pandemic!!! COVID patients are so sick and need so much critical care. It’s nothing like we’ve seen before.
This is just 12 hours, in one ED, in one hospital. I haven’t even mentioned the non-violent injuries.
I left work that day feeling deflated and frankly disappointed with South Africans. To top that off, as I drove out, a DRUNK driver shot a red light, almost crashed into me and then tried to push me off the road! He then proceeded to crash into 2 cars ahead of me. Do I deserve to be a victim of his irresponsible behavior???
I’m tired of people complaining about restrictions. I have not seen my parents in a month because I’m out here sacrificing myself for all of YOU. I’m being responsible and won’t be a vector of infection to my family. Is it so hard for people to do the same??? Is it my responsibility only??? I know I’m a health care worker and I signed up for this, but we are humans too. We are exposed to COVID on the daily and my colleagues are getting sick. Some even dying. So we are facing staff shortages which adds to the strain of us trying to do our best for every patient. You know who else is dying from COVID? Elderly people! Because young people don’t know how to behave, go out unnecessarily and take the infection home to their families while they remain well or slightly ill.
South Africans were given time to get educated about this disease and act responsibly and even got access to alcohol again. But they’ve proven that they are a burden to the health care system. On the first day alcohol was sold again, our hospital beds filled up with alcohol related injuries and complications. We had spent months preparing those beds for COVID patients. So where should we now put sick COVID patients when the numbers are increasing so rapidly??
I know that it won’t stop violent injuries totally, but the first alcohol ban gave us palpable relief from our usual trauma burden. My colleagues and I celebrated when we heard the news last night! It makes the biggest difference to us on the front line.
People this is not POLITICS. It’s a PANDEMIC!!!Everyone needs to fight this together. I do sympathize with those that depend on income from an alcohol based industry. But to those “responsible” drinkers who can’t sacrifice alcohol for a little while…unless you can walk a day in my shoes, put your empty glass down and STFU
Why does she not shut her poes up? The drinking will continue long after the pandemic. Why not direct your fucking anger towards the useless government who were supposed to increase the available beds.

Its your job which you are complaining about. Why is it that again, the entire country needs to pay for the sins of a few?

And walk in your own God damn shoes, you chose that kine of work and you knew what it entails. If you cant handle it, leave.

Spizz

Shocking report on the BBC today about a hospital in PE. Just look at the recorded cases whizzing up in the graph.

Coronavirus in South Africa: Inside Port Elizabeth's 'hospitals of horrors'
An exclusive, weeks-long BBC investigation inside filthy hospitals in South Africa has exposed an extraordinary array of systemic failures showing how exhausted doctors and nurses are overwhelmed with Covid-19 patients and a health service near collapse.

With key staff on strike or sick with coronavirus in the Eastern Cape province, nurses are forced to act as cleaners, surgeons are washing their own hospital laundry and there are alarming reports of unborn babies dying in overcrowded and understaffed maternity wards.

Full story and video report...

sand_man

Shocking report on the BBC today about a hospital in PE. Just look at the recorded cases whizzing up in the graph.

Full story and video report...

Haven’t watched the video and won’t... more than likely business as usual in an SA state hospital. Little to do with Covid but perhaps exasperated by the outbreak...

Spizz

Haven’t watched the video and won’t... more than likely business as usual in an SA state hospital. Little to do with Covid but perhaps exasperated by the outbreak...

It's worth a watch for the comments from the people who are working there. And you'd see it actually has a fair bit to do with COVID because of fear and union strikes over PPE.

Spizz

Oh, and of course, it's apartheid's fault....

Eastern Cape: MEC blames failed R10m scooter scandal on ‘apartheid’
Well, this is one hell of a reach from the Eastern Cape Health MEC: Her department's decision to waste R10m on useless scooters? Blame it on apartheid...

Jings

What about people on standby, on call or working shifts?