Coronavirus COVID-19 News specific to South Africa

biometrics

I've just been reading up, I see the USA, Europe and Japan have bought most of the vaccine production for this and next year. It can be stored at refrigerator temp for at least 5 days. China will be given the option to produce for their market.

I wouldn't expect pharmacies to get it anyway, it's more likely to be used at more centralised vaccination centres.

Current recipient countries

Pfizer, BioNTech’s vaccine supply deals:

• European Union, 200 million doses (option: 100 million)
  • Japan 120 million doses
  • US, 100 million doses (option: 500 million)
  • UK 30 million doses
BioNTech is working with Shanghai Fosun Pharmaceutical Group Co. on bringing the vaccine to China.
So now the question is, will you take it?

R

rambo919

I'm fine with yall beta testing it for me, I'll give ya 5 years and then take it if you don't get cancer or something.

biometrics

President Cyril Ramaphosa is expected to address the nation at 7pm on Wednesday. Ramaphosa is expected to provide an update on the government's strategies to manage the coronavirus pandemic.

biometrics

If we go back to level 2 it's not a big deal unless you're in the tourism business:

Foreign tourism would be banned again – including for South Africans

The Level 2 framework bans international air travel for leisure. Still allowed is repatriation flights – including inbound ones for South African citizens, who are always allowed entry into the country if they can reach a border – and “the return of a South African national or permanent resident to his or her place of employment, study or residence, outside the Republic”.
There would be no booze sales on Friday

We’d go back to the Monday to Thursday, 9AM to 5PM rule. Bars and restaurants would still be able to sell liquor on weekends, subject to curfew times.

Curfew would move back from midnight to 10PM

Again, simple. The alert level 3 curfew would be in place from 10PM to 4AM, rather than from midnight to 4AM.

For many restaurants and bars, this would be a real kick in the teeth, as those extra trading hours are vital for survival.

Church services would go back to a maximum of 50 people at a time – and political events would be banned

Faith-based gatherings may run to 250 people indoors and 500 people outdoors under Level 1, as long as social distance is observed.
Rolling back to Level 2 would reduce that maximum to 50 people again, subject to them staying far enough away from one another.
There would also be a reduction in funeral size, dropping from 100 down to 50.

spiderz

If we go back to level 2 it's not a big deal unless you're in the tourism business:

Foreign tourism would be banned again – including for South Africans

There would be no booze sales on Friday

We’d go back to the Monday to Thursday, 9AM to 5PM rule. Bars and restaurants would still be able to sell liquor on weekends, subject to curfew times.

Curfew would move back from midnight to 10PM

Again, simple. The alert level 3 curfew would be in place from 10PM to 4AM, rather than from midnight to 4AM.

For many restaurants and bars, this would be a real kick in the teeth, as those extra trading hours are vital for survival.

Church services would go back to a maximum of 50 people at a time – and political events would be banned

There would also be a reduction in funeral size, dropping from 100 down to 50.
And change in the allowed EFF riot sizes?

Düber

Not just tourism, my sister and her husband are chef's, she's lucky, but only because of where she works, but he works for a function/venue place.

He has only worked 3-4 days a month since the restrictions where lifted and the owners have told everybody that if there is a shift back to 50 people at a time they will be forced to close.
Needless to say there is not a whole lot of hiring going on at the moment so he is very concerned.

satanboy

Three of my colleagues went to the office today and appeared in our meeting standing shoulder to shoulder not a mask in sight. When the boss asked where their masks were, they made jokes and behaved like children.
Didn't expect anything better from them. Morons.
BTW the company rules regarding not wearing masks are very strict.

R

rambo919

I'm sure at some point someone will be saying this was all caused by global warming or overpopulation or something along those lines......