Coronavirus around the world thread

Dave

Dave

And they conveniently forgot that it was found in Hong Kong too.

African connection to the HK case and he was discovered while still in quarantine.

The first detected cases of the variant were collected in Botswana on 11 November and a case has also been found in Hong Kong – a 36-year-old man who tested positive while in quarantine after a trip to South Africa.

Dave

From the Guardian link, it seems Israel has also put a ban on Southern Africa travel.

Israel also announced it will ban its citizens from travelling to southern Africa – covering the same six countries as well as Mozambique – and barring the entry of foreign travellers from the region.

biometrics

From the Guardian link, it seems Israel has also put a ban on Southern Africa travel.
Already detected there. The travel ban is way too late, this thing is already out there. Malawi isn't even on the red list.
Israel find case of Covid variant first detected in South Africa: ministry
Israel has identified a case of a Covid-19 variant with a large number of mutations first detected in South Africa, the health ministry said Friday. "The variant discovered in southern African states has been identified in Israel," the health ministry said, adding it was recorded "in a person who returned from Malawi", with "two more cases of people returning from abroad" placed in quarantine. It comes one day after scientists in South Africa said they had detected a new Covid-19 variant with a large number of mutations, blaming it for a surge in infection numbers.
AFP

Spizz

I was meant to fly tonight on BA to transit through London but it's been cancelled. Now booked to go to Finland on Qatar on Sunday and then back next weekend. Fuck knows what happens between now and Sunday though.

biometrics

I was meant to fly tonight on BA to transit through London but it's been cancelled. Now booked to go to Finland on Qatar on Sunday and then back next weekend. Fuck knows what happens between now and Sunday though.
Won't Zoom/Teams meetings suffice?

Spizz

Won't Zoom/Teams meetings suffice?

It's not a meeting as such, it's a year end thing and I'm one of the presenters. I could back out quite easy but I'm hedging my bets just now and seeing how it goes until Sunday. I've no issue with travelling when all the protocols are followed.

biometrics

It's not a meeting as such, it's a year end thing and I'm one of the presenters. I could back out quite easy but I'm hedging my bets just now and seeing how it goes until Sunday. I've no issue with travelling when all the protocols are followed.
I'll do anything to avoid travelling economy. Hope you get business...

Spizz

I always have to laugh when after booking a flight, the company travel agent thingy automatically send me all the travel info on my destination. You read the South Africa stuff and you think 'fuck that' i don't want to go there :p

biometrics

Economy on Qatar is one of the better ones actually and I booked a legroom seat so I'm quite happy with that. So used to economy now I don't mind.
Haven't flown in many years, was doing it quite regularly in the 2000s. Will be sure to ask for tips when I have to again.

Spizz

Haven't flown in many years, was doing it quite regularly in the 2000s. Will be sure to ask for tips when I have to again.

Usually when I get to the airport I'm all checked in, seats booked, tickets printed and just going to the bag drop.

But when I went to Joburg a couple of weeks ago, I got to the check in and thought wtf do I do now? I had nothing in my hands, nothing prepared, no docs, nada because I'd totally forgot my routine. Lol, ended up in a middle seat :ROFLMAO:

biometrics

Bet you they won't red list Belgium or Egypt. 15 days ago...

One case of new COVID variant confirmed in Belgium​

We shared updates earlier as two suspected cases of the new South African coronavirus variant were detected in Belgium.
Virologist Marc Van Ranst said two samples were being examined.
He has now confirmed that one case of the B.1.1.529 variant has been detected.
Mr Ranst said the variant was found in a traveller returning to Belgium from Egypt on 11 November.
The person developed the first symptoms on 22 November, he said.