Astrophotography

biometrics

Not much clear skies ahead so it gives me a chance to get that alignment bracket from NZ and to study southern hemisphere targets, turns out not to be easy to find a target through the camera LCD, you need to jump from star to star to get where you
want to be and it’s finicky. A goto ststem would of course make it easy but I want to start with the basics.

Düber

Do you have to move the camera during an exposure?
Or are you just aiming for a particular spot?

biometrics

Do you have to move the camera during an exposure?
Or are you just aiming for a particular spot?
Next step is to target. I had a lot to deal with the first time so I ended up targeting a random spot. Check my new edit:

Düber

Looks good, I'm sure with practice the images are going to be stunning.

biometrics

So, how to find a target...

Once you have star hopped then you do plate matching:

Open https://nova.astrometry.net/upload

Take my image above and upload it. click link below

Click Go to results page

Click View in Worldwide Telescope

Zoom out and use Image Crossfade to orientate yourself.

Adjust camera and repeat.

Ref:

Last edited:

biometrics

And now I am shopping for a green laser, makes find your target much easier. Will likely get this one, the camera flash hot shoe mount adapter is a bit tricker to find and requires calibration each session as flash mounts weren’t designed for this purpose.

Apparently they can only sell up to 5 mW so they all claim to be. But reviews claim this is 80-100mW which is super bright. Warnings not to use it indoor or even shine against white walls as you can damage your eyes.

Edit: on second though the review warnings are scary, think I’ll shop for a safer laser.

Last edited:

biometrics

Will probably get the adapter and laser from Scopestuff as mentioned in the video of post #48. Another $100, lol. My polar alignment adapter is on the way from NZ.

Looks like this:

1689952262331.jpeg

biometrics

I hope the chaps on the ISS have sunglasses ready for Bio's laser show...:D
Lol, no, going to get the safe 5mW laser. But amazing how easy it is to get 80mW lasers from Amazon. I gather it is dangerous.

biometrics

Ordering these. Laser pointer adapter from Amazon for R680, hot shoe adapter from Takealot for R135 and the green laser from Takealot for R300. It a high power laser so will need to be careful. Laser is lockable which is nice.

IMG_0403.jpeg

IMG_0404.jpeg

IMG_0405.jpeg

biometrics

Got all the new gear. One last thing to do… remove the IR filter from my camera. Costs R2,600 to do and will void my warranty and render it useless for regular photography.

Found the company that repairs and modifies cameras for the regular camera companies in Cape Town, Digital Camera Services, busy arranging a booking.

This filter removes infra red and near infra red which you need for photography, but for astrophotography you absolutely want it. Space is full of red!

Tribs

Got all the new gear. One last thing to do… remove the IR filter from my camera. Costs R2,600 to do and will void my warranty and render it useless for regular photography.

Found the company that repairs and modifies cameras for the regular camera companies in Cape Town, Digital Camera Services, busy arranging a booking.

This filter removes infra red and near infra red which you need for photography, but for astrophotography you absolutely want it. Space is full of red!
That is not something I would have thought about. Fascinating

biometrics

That is not something I would have thought about. Fascinating
I suspect I can get a screw on IR filter to restore it's capabilities, have asked them if that is the case.

I've been told you will see heat from hot things like a stove or iron etc with it removed. Though not the intended purpose, could be handy.

5-8 days wait for them to do it though once they have collected.

Tribs

I suspect I can get a screw on IR filter to restore it's capabilities, have asked them if that is the case.

I've been told you will see heat from hot things like a stove or iron etc with it removed. Though not the intended purpose, could be handy.

5-8 days wait for them to do it though once they have collected.
They need to hurry as there are two events coming up that you will need it for. A meteor shower and Saturn being visible.

biometrics

They need to hurry as there are two events coming up that you will need it for. A meteor shower and Saturn being visible.
I'll initially be focusing on nebulae and galaxies. Other areas to explore are moon, sun, planets and the Milky Way.

Did you know 99%+ of the stars you see are in the Milky Way?