Astrophotography

satanboy

The Canon EOS Rebel T7i is one of those options, it is a great beginner camera and has all the tools you need to start creating great astrophotography. The T7i comes with a 24.2 megapixel APS-C sensor which delivers good results and can be great if you're looking to shoot close-ups, because of its crop factor.

You don't strike me as one that would go for the beginner equipment.

Last edited:

biometrics

The Canon EOS Rebel T7i is one of those options, it is a great beginner camera and has all the tools you need to start creating great astrophotography. The T7i comes with a 24.2 megapixel APS-C sensor which delivers good results and can be great if you're looking to shoot close-ups, because of its crop factor.

You don't strike me as one that would go for the beginner equipment.
Cost goes up rapidly. Next upgrade would be a telescope lens. After that is a super cooled camera. So there is an upgrade path on this gear. The starter gear is capable of good results. Don’t want to spend R100k and end up dropping it. At R25k I can do much of what an amateur can do without a huge financial risk, there is much to learn. If I really get into it I’ll invest more.

I see that T7i is used. It’s called the EOS 2000D in SA, it’s available as a starter kit here for about R8,500 but without the 75-300mm lens which I also need.

biometrics

I’m looking for a different model camera. The 2000D has a fixed display which will be inconvenient when your target is above you (as it will likely be), so looking for an affordable DSLR with a flip-out display.

Tracker and other goodies have been shipped so the camera and lens is the next big item.

satanboy

I’m looking for a different model camera. The 2000D has a fixed display which will be inconvenient when your target is above you (as it will likely be), so looking for an affordable DSLR with a flip-out display.

Tracker and other goodies have been shipped so the camera and lens is the next big item.

biometrics

Can't justify that expense, but am eyeing the M50, this comes with the extra lens:

biometrics

Probably the best bet:

biometrics

R16,995.00
R8,500

I see the 6D is a favourite for astrophotography. So may have to consider...

biometrics

Starter lenses are not great.

I know but I am a complete novice so feel it’s better to start there. The costs go up rapidly and I’d rather spend the big bucks once I know what I am doing.