Apple Watch & Fitness+

Dave

You misunderstand. When I reset the iPhone it offers to set it up by using data from my iPad. You hold it close and it pops up a message about setting up and copies wifi etc settings over to the iPhone.

ok, so you’re setting up from your iPhone? What happens when you go to Mobile Data in the Watch app?

These are the pages I go through to set up a data plan on my watch.

B7FDFE04-B078-4567-B2E6-D2995CCAB354.jpeg

5BBC5EC6-BF6E-4C5D-9E66-8400E5274E1F.jpeg

EA550EB1-AA85-47D5-8C65-53F4A93F9272.jpeg

You should get a Vodacom log in page here, I would presume.

9954C448-E1C7-4FDB-9648-B6F64DD2ABF9.jpeg

biometrics

Currently it sayd under DATA PLAN:

Vodacom
waiting

I did have that setup option before and it sent me to login with Vodacom where there was an Activate button. Which I did.

Still not working. Can't make or receive calls on the watch and no mobile data on the watch.

biometrics

Called 135 for support. Didn't have to wait to long (was dreading those Telkom wait times). Guy at the shop had locked an issue. Lady says I need to wait a day or two for things to be reset and they will call me (not holding my breath).

I never got an SMS with an activation code which I am apparently supposed to have received.

Spizz

Called 135 for support. Didn't have to wait to long (was dreading those Telkom wait times). Guy at the shop had locked an issue. Lady says I need to wait a day or two for things to be reset and they will call me (not holding my breath).

I never got an SMS with an activation code which I am apparently supposed to have received.

Been out for a couple of hours but I see Dave has taken up the good fight.

First up, that UK number happened to me too. It will try and send it a few times over a few days then it stops. As Dave says, it's a Vodacom thing.

The set up of the eSim also took me a while, certainly overnight. I never received any sms either, at all. I just kept looking at the app on the phone and it took me to a Vodacom page just like Dave shows above. When it is not activated, it will give you the option to activate it whether you have already tried or not. If you have tried several times maybe that is the issue. I'd leave it until at least tomorrow. As I said it took a good 20 odd hours for me iirc. If it IS activated, it will show a pic of a watch and give you the chance to deactivate it.

Dave

• Haha
Reactions: Y2K

Papa Smurf

How expensive are Apple watches? Been thinking about getting one - my brother has one and says it works great but the battery life is not great.

I want to start walking more as I’ve picked up too much weight in the past 9 months of lockdown plus walking will force me to drink more water instead of slurping sugar laden tea all day. Lol.
A friend of mine has the Apple watch and has hated it from day 1.
Battery life is totally useless
He has to take it off every night when he goes to sleep to charge it
So now it doesn't monitor his sleeping pattern at all

BloodrayneZA

Yeah that's what my brother said - useful but battery life is shit, exactly the same as your friend - having to charge it every night.

Dave

You should tell him it takes less than an hour to charge, he could charge it in the evening and then put it back on.

biometrics

Just a thought, have you done a full pair to the iPhone and only then tried to activated cellular?
They are paired, what do you mean?

The real issue is in the watch app on the phone the mobile data plan says Vodacom and "waiting". So it's not getting whatever it wants from Vodacom to send to the watch.

The sim in the phone works in all respects.

Spizz

No.

Currently it's a paper weight.

I went cellular with this new SE and I can't really work out the benefits. My 3 never had cellular and I'm not doing anything different now than I did then. I always have my phone with me and therefore the watch has full service from it.

I get the hiking thing, but also for me I wouldn't hike without my phone so I can take photos anyway. To be honest, the cellular part is pretty pointless in my usage pattern.

biometrics

I went cellular with this new SE and I can't really work out the benefits. My 3 never had cellular and I'm not doing anything different now than I did then. I always have my phone with me and therefore the watch has full service from it.

I get the hiking thing, but also for me I wouldn't hike without my phone so I can take photos anyway. To be honest, the cellular part is pretty pointless in my usage pattern.
Don't want to carry my phone when cycling. Got my old mountain bike serviced and want to cycle around the suburb.

And it's frikkin magical.

Dave

Same here, when I first bought my Watch I signed up for the free trial of cellular on the Watch, my usage was a sum total of 0 as I always had a phone with me.

When I replace my 4, it will be a GPS only model.

Spizz

Yeah that's what my brother said - useful but battery life is shit, exactly the same as your friend - having to charge it every night.
I don't really get this argument. I sleep at night so have no use for my watch, same as my phone That also charges at night so it's a perfect time to charge them both.

Monitor your sleeping pattern? ROFL, WTF is that about? I know if I sleep shit or not, don't need a watch to tell me. Does he also look at his weather app to see if it's raining outside? :p