The Chat Room

satanboy

Screenshot_20240523-150710.jpg
OMG this stuff is delicious.

Went to do grocery shopping in Vredenburg. Mall and Woolworths was empty at 10:30am.

Baxteen

OMG this stuff is delicious.

Went to do grocery shopping in Vredenburg. Mall and Woolworths was empty at 10:30am.

yes that one is good. I also like the chicken one, but that is for me.

I really do like Mexican food in general

SauRoN

there is a reason the new plug standard did not see a large adoption

Well the new standard doesn’t need switches as you can’t touch the live pins.

But the old ones its a serious problem and I actually can’t believe that socket is legal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

SauRoN

Who approved this new standard?

The SABS of course.

Nothing wrong with the new standard, it’s a great way of retaining compatibility while also adding safety.

It will just take time.

biometrics

Well the new standard doesn’t need switches as you can’t touch the live pins.
Not sure I understand, elaborate please.

I still want switches, sometimes I don't want some device to be on standby for ages.

SauRoN

Not sure I understand, elaborate please.

I still want switches, sometimes I don't want some device to be on standby for ages.

Just like the current 2-pin standard generally doesn’t have switches because there’s no safety concern as you can’t physically touch the pins while it makes a connection.

The new standard is the same you just have an earth pin added which is great as it remains backwards compatible.

The current 3-prong standard you need to turn off at a switch because it’s possible to touch the live pins while pulling it out and is especially dangerous to kids.

You certainly can get ones with switches, I’m just saying usually that’s the rarity, or they don’t have their own individual switch but turn on and off with the 3-prong.

I’ve got CBI Astute mostly everywhere now which have 1x3-prong old standard and 1x3(2)-prong new standard. Sadly it’s also one switch for both of them, smart or physically.

biometrics

The current 3-prong standard you need to turn off at a switch because it’s possible to touch the live pins while pulling it out and is especially dangerous to kids.
Ok I get that, but how is that different from the pic @satanboy posted? You can still touch the pins on the old plug when removing it?

Edit: I think you are only referring to the new three pin, not the old. So again I question why there is no off switch?

1716663104438.jpeg

SauRoN

Ok I get that, but how is that different from the pic @satanboy posted? You can still touch the pins on the old plug when removing it?

View attachment 40677

Yeah it’s crazy to me that it’s legal to have those and have no switches, as it now makes it impossible to confirm safety.

But I see CBI have some of them so I guess it’s legal.

I would never ever install anything like that.

Not having switches on the new standard is fine, I would prefer to have them but could deal. But on the old ones not a chance in hell that would be in my house.

biometrics

Yeah it’s crazy to me that it’s legal to have those and have no switches, as it now makes it impossible to confirm safety.

But I see CBI have some of them so I guess it’s legal.

I would never ever install anything like that.

Not having switches on the new standard is fine, I would prefer to have them but could deal. But on the old ones not a chance in hell that would be in my house.

Makes me think of one time I nearly electrocuted myself as a early teenager (I'm really amazed at how many near death incidents I've had, and made it this far).

I had a soldering iron plugged into a plug in the garage. I turned it off by the switch and tried to pull out the plug but it was stuck. So I took a scissor on the non switch side and pried it behind the plug to wedge it loose. In the process the scissor went all the way through, turned on the switch while the scissor touched the bottom two pins. Needless to say it shorted and burned chunks out of the scissor. That is one of many death defying incidents in my life. I am more careful now... ;)

Johnatan56

I had a soldering iron plugged into a plug in the garage. I turned it off by the switch and tried to pull out the plug but it was stuck. So I took a scissor on the non switch side and pried it behind the plug to wedge it loose. In the process the scissor went all the way through, turned on the switch while the scissor touched the bottom two pins. Needless to say it shorted and burned chunks out of the scissor. That is one of many death defying incidents in my life. I am more careful now... ;)
My worst one with the old plug is unplugging UPS from wall while UPS was live, plugged it into itself by accident (mixed it up on multiplug) and managed to touch the pins while unplugging it again as was difficult (since power was going through). Fell over for a second due to muscle spasm, happy it wasn't mains, but don't think I'd have done it there.

Kind of like the newer plug because of it, and also German one, you can get a proper grip without any chance of touching pins on them.
Wish Europe would adopt the new South African one as well, was supposed to be a standard for everyone, saves a lot of space, but I am expecting USB C to actually end up being for everything except for vacuum cleaners / high power stuff.

Rudolph Hart

I first got shocked by mains when I was four, and have been shocked quite a few times over the years and I can’t really put a number to it. The only one that resulted in any injury was the first one, which burned my palm. I was walking along running the live extension cord that some builders were using and it was frayed. When my hand got to that point, I got shocked. I couldn’t let go of the wire until my mom switched it off.